LegacyGT.com

"Saggy Butt Shims"

TRS

I think it adds about 8-9 mm over stock, so you should ok up to 3/8" spacer (but barely so). For 1/2" it won't be enough. Anyway I don't see the need for 1/2" spacer. Way too thick.

I see the "Geo Metro mod" is gaining popularity :)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Passenger Side Tophat:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1818917&postcount=74

This picture illustrates something else that could help contribute to the saggy butt problem. The end of the spring should be directly underneath one of the mount studs. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but all subies come like that from the factory for a reason.

I think it adds about 8-9 mm over stock, so you should ok up to 3/8" spacer (but barely so). For 1/2" it won't be enough. Anyway I don't see the need for 1/2" spacer. Way too thick.

I see the "Geo Metro mod" is gaining popularity :)

You mean the "Ghetto Metro" mod?;)

Nice work uncle digging up those studs!

Is anyone willing to post before and after pics with the new studs and shims installed on a wagon?
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Is anyone willing to post before and after pics with the new studs and shims installed on a wagon?

I'll do it, but it might be a while...the shims should be here any day, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to install.

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I went with 3/8" shims (showed up 2 days after my order! Nice!), and I'm trying to see if I can find some Metro studs locally - the Chevy dealer I called offered to order 10 of them for me (!!! :lol:).
Team Pony Express

• 3 weeks later...
Not yet, it's been a busy month. I got the studs, though, so now I just need to find the time to work on the back of the car (I may be focusing on my lighting first - I've got the last few bits for my RX330 HID retro coming on Wednesday, and I've been shopping for options for a light bar to mount my Hellas...)
Team Pony Express

• 2 weeks later...
Sooooo....I think I'll take a shot at this over the weekend; just one question first: can I get at the tophat studs to replace them without taking the spring/shock assembly apart, or do I need to go grab a spring compressor?
Team Pony Express

You need to take it apart and with stock or stock length springs you most likely need spring compressor (not needed with e.g. pinks or swifts).

So I won't end up with my guts spread around the garage if I don't use a compressor on my Billies/Swifts? Good news! Looks like I just need to go find my lead pipe for the lower bolt... :)
Team Pony Express

Alright, so I (finally) installed them! Finished up late Friday night, then woke up with the crud yesterday, and today too...so no outside pics to show the finished result, but I can show you a few pics from the install. FYI, I'm using Bilstein HDs, Swift Springs, the 3/8" saggy butt shim, and Geo Metro studs.

Shim on top of tophat with OEM studs:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Spoonwacker/SBS/DSCN2904.jpg

Side-by-side of OEM tophat/studs next to shim with Ghetto Metro studs. You can see that the amount above the tophat/shim is still reduced...but not too much, as the next pic will show.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Spoonwacker/SBS/DSCN2907.jpg

Install complete - more than full thread engagement on all the tophat studs! Great success!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Spoonwacker/SBS/DSCN2913.jpg

As for the result, like I said, more pics will come later when I feel better, but I can now fit my finger between the rear tire and the fender (there wasn't enough space to do this before). The stance is significantly more even, with about a two-finger gap up front.

Team Pony Express

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not the best picture, but these are before (top) and after (bottom) the 3/8in saggy butt shims. Probably the most telling part is comparing the lines of the bottom of the body to the shadow underneath - in the top picture, the car appears to be leaning backwards a tiny bit, and it's level in the bottom photo.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/Spoonwacker/Comparison-1.jpg

Team Pony Express

nice work spoon, I take it you have removed your struts/springs in the past?
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Spoonwacker...Thanks for the pics of the shims. Great stuff. I just ordered up the Bilstein HDs (bonus for fredbeansparts.com) and the shims.

What local dealership had those geo studs?

Cheers,

Mike

I have a Hyundai dealer co-located with my Subaru dealership so let me know if anyone wants me to pick up some of these and ship them to you.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Spoonwacker...Thanks for the pics of the shims. Great stuff. I just ordered up the Bilstein HDs (bonus for fredbeansparts.com) and the shims.

What local dealership had those geo studs?

Cheers,

Mike

The rockauto.com site that unclemat posted is the best price I found. Schucks has them for something like $4-5/stud if you can't wait for shipping, and the Chevy dealer in Bellevue offered to order me a set of 20 at $2/stud, but I would have had to take them all... :lol:

Team Pony Express

Wow's! I'll just order them from the rockauto.com site.

BTW, I searched for the part number of 5090B under Dorman, but it looks like it is now listed under Raybestos. Found it without specifying manufacturer.

Just trying to save people from future headaches.

Cheers,

Mike

I have a Hyundai dealer co-located with my Subaru dealership so let me know if anyone wants me to pick up some of these and ship them to you.

SBT

Geo was rebadged Suzuki not Hyundai...

Archived