LegacyGT.com

"Saggy Butt Shims"

TRS

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ I did mine without disassembling. I did however need a spring compressor to get the tension off to move the rubber isolator out of the way. Then just gave them a few quick wacks with a hammer and out they came. Pressed the new ones in and was ready to throw them back on the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - I've got iON HD rear springs with an extra rubber perch that I plan on installing in a few weeks, onto my stock struts.

Do I need the "Saggy Butt Shims" at all, and if so should I get the 1/4" or 3/8"?

This is for an '05 GT Wagon.

Much thanks in advance,

Why are you putting the extra rubber perch on? Should only need one, right?

FTW, I removed my 3/8" shim when I installed my Ion HD rear springs on my 05 wagon. I am running Bilstein HD's with a SpecB front tophats and the Ion Sport springs (progressive).

Cheers,

Mike

My wagon does have less wheel gap in the back then front but that is how wagons sit as well and I like the look. I also noticed a big drop in road noise after removing them.

Just so it is documented... The longer Geo Metro studs have enough thread to still work if one decides to remove the shim. This way you don't have to remove them and risk wearing out the press fitting for the studs. I also ended up tack welding mine studs in place because they were free spinning.

Cheers,

Mike

What, you don't like the Starsky and Hutch look ? Not a big fan of road noise and making me think twice about doing this. I do however have a trick up my sleeve (using leftover RAAMAT sound absorbtion material) .

The steel tophat has a rubber isolator between it and the mount location IIRC. Will have to pull my stocker out and check it. If that's the case, then I'm going to get some isolation matting and put it on top of the shim before I do the install.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I don't remember an isolator Dale. I could be mistaken. Memory is the second thing to go with age. What was the first thing to go again?

I just remember there being metal on the mating surface. The Shims are made of a poly-u. They do offer some vibration elimination as they are not metal. I have been running the shims for 20k miles. I was just checking the suspension yesterday. Everything is fine. No NVH from the shims Wish you had ridden in the car on the "fun run". Then you could have listened for yourself. If I thought I heard a noise from the rear suspension being caused by the shim, I would sure as heck have fixed it by now.

-Mike

Just pulled mine out to check them (the shims) and they are either a very hard plastic or nylon (with a smooth finish). If they were PU, I don't think I'd worry about this as much. It's a quick install, so hopefully, I'll get them on and check them out this weekend...
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped springs tonight, put in my ION progressive fronts and HD rears, with a 3/8" tophat.

Looks a bit high out back..

One big problem though, is that both Geo Metro studs in the pass rear side spins loosely when the upper nut is tightened.

So failing finding a secure option, can I try JB Weld to "stick" the studs to the tophat, or find some M10-1.25 nuts and bolts to secure the works together?

Thanks!

Archived