LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

I'm not so concerned about the outside of the windshield, the wipers work fine. I can see trying Rain-X and see how it goes.

It's the fog on the inside that's the problem and not many seem satisfied with Rain‑X Interior Glass Anti-Fog, nor any other interior anti fog solution I've found.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 1 month later...

Digital Scan 3D has partnered with the High Desert Maker Mill to bring their industrial grade 3D Scanning, 3D Printing, and 3D software to the High Desert Maker Mill here in Bend.

This is a huge deal for me because now I'll be able to locally design, prototype, and quality check parts. I already have several ideas for Subarus that I hope to bring to the community in the next 6 months.

The local newspaper story:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/home/3825595-151/portland-company-brings-3-d-scanning-to-bend#

The Company we partnered with, Digital Scan 3D:

http://digitalscan3d.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I found out that STI makes an R4 group rally heater/demister. It appears to be electric.

http://www.tmrparts.fi/pictures/72110ZR000.jpg

Part number 72110ZR000

Of course it's crazy expensive. $315.

On the aero;

Look how the rear diffuser sticks out on this BRZ Super GT

http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/SUPERGT2015/images/img.jpg

Lots more pics at : http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/SUPERGT2015/

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Hmm, maybe my next splitter version:

i-J3k223T.jpg

And here's a great pic of the C7 Corvette heat extractor grill and vent.

Chevrolet-Corvette-C7-Stingray-2014-widescreen-12-L.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

You know, BMW used a small blower motor like that on the E30 convertible to defog the rear window. Maybe on later models too. I'm trying to find a part number, but I bet they are cheaper than $315. Really cheap if you junkyard them.

Found it: BMW part 64231376849. About $200 new.

Edited by DavidInSeattle

If you run one of the gt groups you could get away with that splitter. Heck they might even classify the wagon as a sports racer class

I'm running ST and SPM. In SPM there basically are no rules other than engine displacement size and the vehicle is supposed to look like a car, or did at one time!

Yes, I have his books, thanks for the links! And a full scan is very possible now with our partnership at the Maker Mill. Hmm, there might be a business opportunity there!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Boxkita was thinking about buying my race car, but:

For now, I'm done racing. I've had a great time. But damn is it expensive. If finances change in the future, I'll try again.

For now, I'll put the wagon back together.

Upgrades/Mods were on hold while he considered the purchase. But now, back to the upgrade list for the Silver Eagle....almost all of it to drop weight or improve aero.

Remount the dry sump tank behind driver. It radiates too much heat next to me in the front passenger seat area.

Fab a duct around the oil cooler to better flow the air thru it. Maybe add a fan.

Mount APR rear wing.

CF driveshaft, $1k

Lightweight alternator, $350

Full underbody panel: $300

Lexan windows, relatively cheap DIY on the rear doors and sides, would need custom formed for front and rear windshield, read expensive.

Reroute EWG tube into the exhaust, possibly go side exit on the exhaust, or single pipe all the way back, sell the SS cat back dual system, probably break even.

We're also going to do a full scan and aero analysis. I'll probably do a full scan on the Spec B too to use as a comparison. That data will be invaluable for any of ya'll looking at aero mods.

If you had sold it, what racecar would you have replaced it with?

Great Question. I've thought a lot about it.

A little background, I started down this path with AutoX. I eventually bought a 2009 Corvette Z06 during the great recession when GM was practically giving them away in 2009-2010. I got an incredible deal on it. I auto-x that car and have done a couple of HPDE days at Oregon Raceway Park in it.

I've considered either making it into a race car (it's too nice to convert) or buying a built Corvette from Phoenix Performance. Phoenix is of course the same folks who built and raced the Silver Eagle and the SpcB Subaru Road Race Team cars.

The problem with that is A) I'm too big to be safe in a roll over. and B) the consumable cost and time is super high. New brake pads and brake rotors every weekend. Fuel cost.

Then my nephew challenged me to go to the Skip Barber school in Laguna Seca and do the 3 day race school in their formula Mazdas. What a blast to "race" an open wheel formula car at Laguna Seca!

I went back for the advanced school in the Mazda MX-5 Cup cars, mostly because I don't fit in a formula car for the long run. I was too big at 6'4" and a then 235lbs. The MX-5 cup cars cemented the need to race, I knew it was my passion.

I bought the cheapest road race car in North America on RacingJunk.com, a 1990 Acura Integra, advertised for $3k, I got it for $2K. The car had been raced for many years by a college student now turning pro. The best part is he is 6'7" so I knew I would fit!

I did my Novice racing and one year of Conference racing in that car. Great cars, super cheap, but like all race cars to be at the front requires a lot more $. But when the most important mod is the nut behind the wheel, it's the best way to go. It teaches you a ton and if you total it you're not wiped out financially. I am still part owner in the car and race it several times a year as a co-driver in endurance racing.

Next was the purchase of the Silver Eagle LGT. I still love the car too!

I want to build a Factory Five 818R with a 400HP EJ257 or EJ207 (8k rpm sounds fun!). The problem is they still haven't found a rock solid intercooler airflow solution. The best band aid so far is to go Air - Water Intercooler, (AWIC). That adds weight and complexity and does not necessarily work well for long events.

The other solution is to go NA. There are a few builders trying to make the 3.0R and 3.6 work. That appeals to me a LOT. Especially the 3.6. An NA motor is so much easier to maintain and keep reliable. However the #1 problem for the H6 is lack of a dry sump. The 818 generates so much lateral G that neither the EJ257 or 3.6 will last very long without a dry sump. So I'd have to design and build the first dry sump for the 3.0-3.6 series. And ya'll have seen the journey that took me on for the LGT.

If I didn't do an 818R I'd probably go with a Spec series that has sealed engine/trans and all spec'd parts. Not just a specd parts series like Spec Miata where you can buy a middle pack Miata for $7-10K but if you want to win a front runner is at least $30K. Another popular example of that in the PacNW is Pro3. Great class, tight racing, decent consumable rate. Or the new SpecE46, though the build cost is pretty high for a competitive car there. I know a couple of guys having theirs built, they are in the $65K range turn key. I could probably buy a E46 and build my own for $30-35K.

If you want to stay Subaru there is a new Spec class for the BRZ/FRS, Spec86 Cup. It's very small, only a couple of guys in the Midwest trying to get it off the ground. It should be affordable like Spec Miata as far as fuel and brake pads. I may not fit and emergency exit is iffy, like a Spec Miata for me. The MX-5 Cup car was ok because I can climb straight out, no roof.

In a sealed motor spec series the operating costs are lower and well contained. The racing is incredibly tight because everyone's engine/transmission/body/suspension is exactly the same.

A very popular class both in the NW and nationwide is Spec Racer Ford (SRF). Relatively cheaper to buy one new. Brake pads and fuel are cheap to run. Huge national class with a championship series. It's probably the most affordable racing in the long run. They claim it's the lowest cost road racing in the US. I believe them. I'm seriously considering it.

The two I'm most interested in are the new Elan NP01 or the Superlite Aero. The NP01 is taking off fast, 2/3 of the cars sold are going to California which bodes well for a west coast championship. The NP01 has already been on track, one competed at the Thuderhill 25 hour this year. It did well until it broke.

The Superlite Aero only exists as chassis and a prototype body, none are running yet. But it's being made by the same guy that makes the GT40 replicas and more importantly the Superlite SLC. The SLC lead all cars, all classes at the Thill25 this year for over 400 laps before it broke. This was a small private team going up against factory teams from Audi and Porsche!

The owner of Superlite says he can provide a turn key Aero for $65K. I think maybe the first one will be $65K, then it will jump to $75 or $80K. The NP01 has already gone from $65K to $75K.

The quicker answer is I'll be sticking with the LGT until I see how the 818R and Aero shakes out. The Aero is a dedicated sprint race spec car, so I may keep the Silver Eagle for endurance racing and have the Aero for Sprint racing. I already have the dual dry break fuel system to re-install for the LGT to be a great endurance racer.

Aero: http://race-car-replicas.com/superlite-aero/

Elan NP01: http://nasaprototype.com/the-elan-np01/

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Have you considered the new MX5 Global Cup cars? Supposedly $55k for a turnkey race which we all know will have lasting support. Their first real racing excursion was also the 25 Hours of Thunderhill and all 3 cars finished :hide:

Obviously not the speeds the Silver Eagle is capable of but just another thought. Also the new ND Miata is supposed to have more room than the old ones. I fit in the street ND far better than in my NB.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Have you considered the new MX5 Global Cup cars? Supposedly $55k for a turnkey race which we all know will have lasting support. Their first real racing excursion was also the 25 Hours of Thunderhill and all 3 cars finished :hide:

Obviously not the speeds the Silver Eagle is capable of but just another thought. Also the new ND Miata is supposed to have more room than the old ones. I fit in the street ND far better than in my NB.

I hadn't, thanks! The specs look great. I'll add it to my list.

Thanks. :icon_excl

But still....for $10K more I get a Katech LS-3 dry sump in a Aero with 1,800 lbs of downforce....

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Dang I wish Subaru North America would support road racing again. Subaru is in the BTCC!

I want these fenders!

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/subaru-720x400.jpeg

English engine tuner Mountune has secured the deal to supply the new Team BMR run Subaru Levorgs in the British Touring Car Championship. The new cars will be converted from all wheel drive to rear drive only as permitted under the FIA TCN1 rules but they will retain the FA20 boxer engines, making this the first TCN1 car to use an engine configuration other than an I4 Turbo.

Team BMR will run four Levorg’s in 2016 after an attempt to run a brace of Jaguar XE’s fell through after issues with weight and modifications to the cars aluminium chassis.

“We are thrilled to have been chosen to build the engines for BMR’s 2016 championship campaign, and very happy to be partnered with a manufacturer team,” commented David Mountain, Technical Director of Mountune Racing.

“The development team here at Mountune will be working around the clock getting the four Boxer engines ready for pre-season testing and are all looking forward to seeing them perform out on track during this year’s championship.”

Warren Scott, Team Principal of Team BMR concluded: “I am very pleased and excited to be working with Mountune on the development of the engine. I’m positive that even with the very small time frame that we are faced with they will produce a great engine in time for the Official BTCC Media Day on 22nd March at Donington Park.”

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/industry/mountune-secures-subaru-btcc-deal/

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Watching BTCC races is like watching Chump Car. Lot's of banging and jostling only in BTCC it's intentional!