LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

Are you keeping an eye on your fuel trims with your AP? I am pretty sure some fuel trims would have been out of whack (pegged to - or + 15%) with that loose fmic hose. Anyways, glad it was such a simple issue.

My AP doesn't log fuel trims, just A/F Learning. Values there were from 0 to 5.47.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

No track days before then? turn2lapping.com has june dates at the ridge. Would give you a shakedown with less stress

Spokane is June 18-21 this year. Weekend after next. Then we have a long mid summer break.

I see there's a test & tune at ORP this Friday....I think I'll have to do that.

They will be running a 24 hour Chump Car race over the weekend but I don't have to be in the race to do the T&T.

My AP doesn't log fuel trims, just A/F Learning. Values there were from 0 to 5.47.

That's what I was referring to. You should be able to view A/F Learning A/B/C/D I believe on the AP, which correspond to four different ranges (idle, kinna light acceleration, cruise, ~wot, respectively). Values should stay within +/-5%. Massive boost leak would usually lead to pegged negative values (-15%), while obvious vacuum leaks would lead to high positive values (max +15%). Anyway, you may know this already..

That's what I was referring to. You should be able to view A/F Learning A/B/C/D I believe on the AP, which correspond to four different ranges (idle, kinna light acceleration, cruise, ~wot, respectively). Values should stay within +/-5%. Massive boost leak would usually lead to pegged negative values (-15%), while obvious vacuum leaks would lead to high positive values (max +15%). Anyway, you may know this already..

Thanks. No I didn't already know that stuff. I need to learn more about what is captured in the AP and how to interpret it.

I'll look at changing or adding the parameter it logs on the spreadsheet file.

Thanks.

sure. In my opinion, these parameters are the most important to keep an eye on. When they begin to deviate noticeably from +/-5%, the engine may begin to knock.

I usually keep an eye on these, as well as FKC (feedback knock correction), and FLKC (fine learning knock correction), and IAM (which should always stay at 1.0).

Then fuel related parameters (injector pulse width, injector duty cycle), roughness misfire per cylinder, coolant temp, intake temp, and VVT.

xt2005bonbon I've copied your list and will be changing my logging. Thanks.

No problem. I am by no mean a tuner, but I can say that watching the above mentioned parameters has helped me diagnose several issues on my car (e.g. failing MAF sensor, failing injector, boost leaks, dying coil pack).

Also, I mentioned the 'VVT' parameter. You'll have two VVT parameters (left and right) available for viewing or logging. These parameters are good to keep an eye on as they essentially let you know if your oil control valves are operating properly (very critical component as they control intake valves timing). The unit for VVT should be in degrees. Both left and right VVTs should be in sync at all times. If one day, you catch one off by several degrees, it'd be time to check it out. It can become stuck. OK. I'll shut up now :).

I took the Silver Eagle out for a 25 minute session at ORP to break in the new shortblock. What a beautiful day there! The Chump Car 24 hour racers have perfect weather this weekend. It was really nice to be in a run group where I was the fastest car even with only 8 PSI, never going WOT, and a 5K RPM limit! Running in ICSCC Group 4 I live watching my mirrors for the GT1 cars closing on me at warp speed. Nice to be the passer!

As mentioned I shifted at 5K, and did lots of varied RPM. The boost was limited to wastegate only for this run, which meant I logged no more than 8 PSI. The engine felt super strong and wanted to go!

After the session I sent my data log to the folks at Cobb Surgeline (great supporters!). They didn't like what they saw. The new shortblock is more efficient than the old one and the car is running too lean, with some knock and pulling timing as soon as I get up to 5-8 PSI. Even though nothing else changed but replacing the OEM shortblock with another OEM shortblock, it's thrown the tune off. They advised to stop and bring the car into the shop for a full tuning session.

So I hung out with the Chump racers for a bit then got back home in time for dinner. I'm not real smart but even I know when Cobb says stop I better stop or I'll be buying another shortblock.

Well dang, but not unexpected. The Spokane races are next weekend. And the parts for my dry sump conversion are arriving now. So I'll probably do the dry sump conversion, miss Spokane, and get the car tuned during our long mid summer break.

In the long run I need to learn tuning. I have the Cobb Accesstuner Race software, but not the skill to do my own tunes on the track.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/subaru-accesstuner-race

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay on updates!

The dry sump is 80% installed. Next post will have all the details and pics.

The 6 Speed and diff cooler system is 90% done. I'll write up a pretty detailed parts and pics post for both the LGT forum and the 818 forum on how to connect to both the 5 speed and 6 speed trannys. I'm a believer that if you are going to race a Subaru for more than 30-45 minutes you must have a tranny cooler if you want it to last.

And just when I thought I was done with performance mods I come across stuff like this, a sequential system that hooks up to the outside of a standard 6 speed, no internal mods: http://www.sssdrive.com/sss_eng.php

OR: the same company makes a full sequential 6 speed system and gear set with dog rings: http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-r4-sequential-gearbox.html

Or: Just install dog kit alone ( No Sequential) for a 5 or 6 speed:

http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-si-wrx-sti-5-6.html

More soon!

Btw, my b25 heads are sitting on the bench looking for a short block. All cleaned up and looking for a set of valves. Interested?

Yes, but I got lost in your drama thread about the heads. Are these the ones with the valves that were cut too short? Any other damage done by that machine shop?

I have some parts to trade...Crawford AOS, Tomei Arms 20g, FMIC, Grimspeed brake stiffener, LGT drive shaft, LGT rear axles, LGT 5 Speed tranny...probably more if I look around.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Yes, but I got lost in your drama thread about the heads. Are these the ones with the valves that were cut too short? Any other damage done by that machine shop?

took it to another place and had everything fixed. It needs valves, guides and keepers. Cams, buckets, and heads are still good. I'll post pics tonight.

Yeah, my thread is a mess, rich with drama. Having supertech valves put in the heads I bot (v25 heads)

Add the hydraulic shift kit for 28 millisecond shifts? Paddle shifting a 6mt would be a blast. Looks like you would need a custom final gear unless you want to run in the miata class. :)

I'll have to look at the final gear, but shifting like a F1 car, oh my!

I'm sure the system is no less than $25K though......would be incredible in an all out 818R......better buy lottery tickets tomorrow.

At Cobb Surgeline getting the time checked now.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/25/8b0dc6097b15df3deede14027358c063.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Get the dry sump all figured out? Also I need to come and check out your engine bay. I picked up a 3" Dom1.5xtr/8cm, sti intake manifold, etc... For my wagon and want to check your inlet and turbo fitment out.

The tune went well. I'm making a tiny bit less power than in March on the old shortblock. That's to be expected with a new shortblock that hasn't been broken in yet. I'm sure after the rings take a set the power will be right back up there.

Dry sump is installed and working great.

The Tranny and Diff coolers are re-installed, along with a powered vent system to make them work more efficiently.

I'll be at ORP Sunday for a 4 hour Test & Tune, Noon to 4 PM.

I'll write up and post pics on Sunday evening or Monday.

Gex, I'll be racing at Pacific Raceways next weekend if that works for you. Cobb swapped out a turbo silicone hose that was straight and didn't fit very well for a new S shaped one that fits much better.

The builder of the Silver Eagle, Phoenix Performance, is having heck of a year! Actually Andrew Aquilante has had a great 3 years.

MILLVILLE, N.J. (July 25, 2015) – Someone joked in victory circle that Saturday's SCCA Majors Northeast Conference Round Nine at New Jersey Motorsports Park should have been renamed the "Phoenix Performance Invitational."

It wasn't quite that dramatic, but Phoenix-prepared cars took wins in six classes during the afternoon's 25-minute timed races.

The Aquilante family scored three wins themselves, beginning with Andrew's Touring 3 win in the No. 32 Phoenix Performance/Hoosier/Hawk Ford Mustang. Tom Aquilante, Andrew's uncle, snagged the Touring 4 win in the No. 54 TAR/Hoosier/Hawk Chevrolet Camaro.

The highlight came in American Sedan, however, when Amy Aquilante – the daughter of Tom – scored a thrilling win in the No. 5 Tom Aquilante Racing/Hoosier/Hawk Pontiac Firebird. Aquilante came out on top in a back and forth battle with Daniel Richardson's No. 15 Hoosier/Performance Auto Works/Auto Gear/Hayworth Racing Brakes Chevrolet Camaro.

David Sanders, Kurt Rezzetano, and Preston Calvert added to the prep shop's success at their home track.

Gex, I'll be racing at Pacific Raceways next weekend if that works for you. Cobb swapped out a turbo silicone hose that was straight and didn't fit very well for a new S shaped one that fits much better.

It's so unfortunate our schedules just haven't worked out this season. I will be in Alaska Salmon fishing this weekend.

The track day came to a halt. My oil temps soared, and so did my oil pressures.

I've come to the conclusion that the 11MM pump I installed on the new shortblock is the problem. I'm going to replace it with a 10MM.

Here's the details:

I went back and pulled a bunch of logs pre and post dry sump, which also is pre and post new shortblock/oem oil pump. I only have one log with the new shortblock and the wet sump:

The ORANGE lines are RPM, the BLUE lines are Oil Pressure, the Red Line is Oil Temperature.

Chronologically

May 2014, Wet Sump, 20 minute race in Spokane. Oil never goes over 186 degrees, oil pressure is flat 60-90 psi:

tHUrYaVv73qzD7WqtHcMiWALXTjC1YnAOI41Padb7hk=w1122-h597-no

Sept 2014, wet sump, 3 laps in a 60 minute enduro at The Ridge. Each line is one of three laps:

gg6sl_-1I0y5FSE3y_Kjal9epvIgsbCoPCNdaVsvfo4=w1122-h596-no

June 2015, New Shortblock, New Oil Pump, Wet Sump. The first indication that my oil pressures are too high. After a warm up I hit the track and the oil pressures are too high for warm oil. Session cut short when vacuum line comes off EWG:

F2yi5al0HMHXgDF93lL5JpYJ2qgYohJDBkE-l2wLCm0=w1122-h600-no

July 2015, DYNO session, New Dry Sump. Oil pressure is too high but oil temps don't climb because WOT is so short before long idle sessions during tuning:

R2sEsxJtxhTeEBQqh6nxHsn7kceS_LYX2ByuvvaULZE=w1122-h617-no

And finally the track test as in the above post, but this one has RPM on it. Long warm up, normal oil pressures, but as soon as I hit the track with hot oil the pressures go too high and and the temps start climbing:

X-dWNRNc4osR0rul4gdEaNWsExtJQzXQTQo8jroSDEo=w1122-h578-no

The problem with high oil pressures: Not only can it blow out seals and other damage, but the Subaru OEM Oil Pump Bypass opens at 78 PSI. That causes the same sample of oil to spin around and around in the pump, which according to John at Aviaid (who sent me down this course of investigation) that heats the crap out of the oil:

BMPKCBxo-r9PtYrFz0RZkcgT_4skZCI7SAOCW4FybzU=w640-h300-no

Conclusion: I'm having excessive oil pressures, causing the bypass to open, causing the oil to heat up. The oil is probably also aerating because it keeps getting spun around and around in the pump.

I've come to the conclusion that the 11MM pump I installed on the new shortblock is the problem. I'm going to replace it with a 10MM.

This post on Nasioc from KillerB to a member with too high oil pressures:

"Go back to a 10mm pump. The 11mm pushes ~36% more flow and unless the engine was built specifically for that you're pushing it into a wall... The bypass is made to flow x amount of oil based on the pump that is suposed to be based on the engine. So, an 11mm pump can cause pressure spikes leading to seal failures. In addition to adding excessive heat into the oil from continuously recirculating significant flow through the bypass all the time, but that's not the worst. Worse case you bypass a LOT and because the flow characteristics through the bypas are so terrible, you aerate the oil, which means aerated oil gets pumped into the bearings and air definitely does not lubricate as well as oil.

Also, for reference the 10mm pump flows less but at a higher 85psi and the 11mm flows more, but at a lower 78psi.

http://photos.killerbmotorsport.com/i.ashx?gallery=345327&mid=68584645&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

Edit: Don't even think about the JDM 12mm It's made for the Spec-C/WRC engines that have MUCH better crank rod oiling (and other bits) and 8K RPM rev limit from the factory."

I put the A360 pump in my new shortblock. I guess I'll try the A300.

A lot of good info in the thread quoted above, especially page 3, post 56 from KillerB about shims and flow: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2466900

Edited by Sgt.Gator