LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

• 1 month later...
Friday the 13th and the Pacific Raceways Curse

Test &Tune, Friday the 13th.

The Silver Eagle was running strong. I was running consistent 1:39s, right on the edge of 1:38s. The new wing really helps.

Last year here I blew my engine.

Last practice test of the day. 120+mph on the main straight. POP! No power. None. I'm praying its a turbo hose pop off. It's not.

I am towed into the paddock. I tried to start the car, my wife says "Honey it sounds like you've got rocks in the engine."

About that time our very own Boxkita says "Oh, that sounds bad."

It a strange sound, it sounds like something inside the timing covers is smacking against them. And zero power, won't start. It really does sound like rocks in the engine.

So we're packing up and heading home Saturday morning.

Racing can be so up and down! :mad:

Don't you know it.

I had just built a fresh engine for my Z. My dad was visiting from out of town. I unloaded at Pacific Raceway early Saturday for the first IRDC meet of the season. Started it up, checked the carbs, timing, whatever.

It sounded sweet.

You know how the Datsun L series engines sound when they are tuned perfectly.

Put on the suit hopped in and rolled out to pregrid.

A whistle.

Five minutes.

Another whistle.

One minute.

The engine rumbles to life.

Oil pressure.

Check.

Water temp.

Coming up, by turn the needle will be pointing at the red strip of tape on the gauge face. Perfect.

Warm up the tires and brakes.

Exit turn 9 (this was the old configuration before they did that weird thing to keep off of the drag strip launch pad) and begin the first lap.

It feels good, real good. Pulling harder than it has ever pulled. I think I nailed the build this time.

As I fly through turn one flat out I know I nailed it. The car has never been that fast there.

First cone for2.

Next cone for two, off the gas, squeeze the brake. Squeeze more and more. Second to last cone, grab 3rd. Last cone, off the brakes, back the gas. Squeeze the gas more and more, apex cone, wide open, but wait.

The tires want to break loose.

Hang on, it's a Z. They like to hang out a bit.

Stay flat, the car settles down and hooks up. Track out, ease left a bit and aim fort 3. Holy ****, is it there already?

Brake, down one gear, accelerate through the apex, aim for 3b, park it, grab 2nd, push the right pedal all the way down. Again, at the apex the right side wants to step out, then settles and hooks.

Up on gear, then another as I pass several other guys heading for the 4-5-6. A little squeeze on the brakes, quick blip down to third, then squeeze the gas through two rights and a left. As it tracks out going up the hill it feels perfect.

I shoot for the too of a tree that is over the horizon, knowing that the apex will be there when I crest the hill. As I go through the left hand kink up top the car feels a ton lighter than usual. It steps out more than it ever has as I set up for 8.

Brake, downshift, gas. Let the car use all the track, ease back over and set up for 9. Flat out from the exit of 8 all the way to 2.

Damn!

This thing is really flying.

Pulling hard all the way to 8,000.

I run several laps, really liking how good it feels. Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, all very good. I'm bedding in a set of brake pads, so one more lap and then I'll make two more to cool the brakes, then pit in.

Coming out of 9 for the last fast lap of the session and the shifter hangs in the neutral gate just long enough that the clutch is already out and the gas pedal is on the floor.

I suddenly feel very sick.

I know what just happened.

My freshly built engine now has bent valves.

Don't even have to look (but I do later when I tear it down).

I turn off the power, move to the right and coast to the gap in the wall at start/finish.

Yep.

I know how you felt.

You know my dad wanted to know if I was gonna fix it and get out in time for afternoon qualifying.

I just smiled, hand him a beer an loaded up.

I've built a half dozen engines since that and not one has pulled like that one. I don't remember what my lap times were, but I know that morning the car was 4 or 5 seconds a lap faster than ever before or since.

I should have gotten a picture after loading my truck in your driveway. Now I'm tripping over the pile in my garage. :lol:

You looked like the Clampetts leaving for California!

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/61026/61026_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Spent yesterday (Sat) at the BigNW meet talking with engine builders. Bad idea going to a WRX meet to talk about race motors. My favorite quote was "It's got 650 horsepower and I get into boost at least 5 times on the way to work. I drive it really hard!"

My search for a replacement engine continues. Still leaning towards a outfront closed deck short block. They will take one of my cores in trade to save a couple of bucks. Sgt.Gator's motor search continues, too. I'll be watching his thread closely as we're both searching for the same thing: a 310hp/OMGtq 8000rpm motor that comes on boost at 2500rpm and stays just below max hp until red-line. Actually, I hope he's not looking for that as he has a lighter car with wider tires.

Got a couple referrals to a machine shop in kirkland who has modern equipment (CNC), so they know about millimeters.

Picked up a couple 3500 lumen floods for the front of the wagon. Seems one of the headlights is missing. :-)

Started working on the website, email, twitter, facebook part of promoting the racecar. The BigNW meet was a wakeup call. Very few even remembered the car. hard to get sponsors when you have to explain what the car is.

The miata is officially sold, so have a few dollars to spend on the motor.

Will be putting the brembo setup up for sale as the racecar has a better system and the street car doesn't need brembos.

• 2 months later...

I was digging thru my notes last night and found my final weights before I blew the engine.

3/8th tank of gas, + Rear Wing + Front Splitter + Cool Shirt System full of water + dry sump + PF01 235/40/17 + LiIon battery=

3,200 lbs

+ Driver + Helmet = 3421 lbs. With this setup my corner weights were:

LF: 1038 RF: 862

LR: 739 RR: 788

Front 55.5%

Rear: 44.5%

Rear Wing: 11lbs

Cool Shirt System including full of water: 36 lbs

Hand Held Fire Extinguisher: 3 lbs. I only use it at ORP for grass fire season.

On tracks/days with no need for a Cool Shirt or FE, the weight with 3/8th tank is 3160 with no driver.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

I was digging thru my notes last night and found my final weights before I blew the engine.

3/8th tank of gas, + Rear Wing + Front Splitter + Cool Shirt System full of water + dry sump + PF01 235/40/17 + LiIon battery=

3,200 lbs

+ Driver + Helmet = 3421 lbs. With this setup my corner weights were:

LF: 1038 RF: 862

LR: 739 RR: 788

1826 LF/RR

1601 RF/LR

Front 55.5%

Rear: 44.5%

Rear Wing: 11lbs

Cool Shirt System including full of water: 36 lbs

Hand Held Fire Extinguisher: 3 lbs. I only use it at ORP for grass fire season.

On tracks/days with no need for a Cool Shirt or FE, the weight with 3/8th tank is 3160 with no driver.

220 = driver plus helmet plus gear? I guess I need to change my diet. I've been bulking up to run more hp.

found the numbers from corner balance on the streetwagon:

corner-balance = 50.00%

Rake = 1.25

front camber = -2.1

front caster = +6.8

front toe = 0

rear camber = -1.4/-1.2 (L/R)

rear toe = 0

Corner weights, with driver & 1/3 fuel, came out to:

1056 1026

767 738

1794 LF/RR

1793 RF/LR

for a total of 3590.

Here's a corner balance comparison between my track-prepared wagon and an actual race-prepared wagon. At the time these weights were done, I weighed 30lbs more than Sgt.Gator.

Both cars have different size tanks, so the % full matters. The race wagon has ~60 lbs more fuel (street car had 110 octane at time of CB, racecar was 93?)

How to read:

Upper left numbers are the weights at each corner measured with a very accurate scale under each wheels. The numbers in 3rd column & 3rd row are sums across each line. The percentages are the sums relative to the total weight.

Corner balancing seeks to bring the cross weights LF/RR & RF?LR to be equal. This gives the car balance while cornering as the weight transfer always starts from the same balance point which makes it easier to drive at the limit. This is an over-simpliflication of many things, however, you get the idea. If not, stop by after the racewagon is tuned. We'll do the $100 test (if you can grab the bill off the dashboard under full cornering, you keep it).

[font=Courier New]streetwagon, with [/font][font=Courier New][font=Courier New]1/3rd tank of gas + Driver + helmet + full interior + spare tire + [/font][/font][font=Courier New][font=Courier New][font=Courier New]PF01 235/40/17 + TMIC[/font][/font]
1056       1026    2082    58.04%
767        738    1505    41.96%
1823       1764    3587    
50.82%    49.18%     

corner balance
1794    50.01%
1793    49.99%   

racewagon, 3/8th tank of gas, + Rear Wing + Front Splitter + Cool Shirt System full of water + dry sump + PF01 235/40/17 + LiIon battery + Driver + Helmet + FMIC
1038        862    1900    55.44%
739        788    1527    44.56%
1777       1650    3427    
51.85%    48.15%

[/font][font=Courier New]corner balance
1826    53.28%
1601    46.72%
[/font]

I found an old notebook from Phoenix with their 2006 notes. For folks interested in tracking their cars and for posterity these settings may be instructive, at least as a base to start from:

4/25/06 Beaver Run Race track:

Springs

Front: 850

Rear: 900

Toe

Front: 1/16 - 1/16

Rear: 1/4 -1/4

(The Notes don't specify if these are In or Out)

Camber

Front: -3 3/8 - -3 3/16

Rear: -1 3/16- -1 3/16

5/26/06 Lime Rock Park

Weight 3293 (with driver, 198 lbs)

928 - 923

779 - 663

Ride Height

5 7/16 - 5 7/16

5 1/2 - 5 9/16

Toe

Front 1/8" Out

Rear 0 Straight

Camber

-2 5/8 - -1 5/8

-1 1/4 - -1 1/4

June 21 2006 Mid Ohio

They spent several days jacking the car around to change cross weights. Here's what the final race setting were:

Weight: 3298

935 - 929

784 - 652

Camber

-3 - -3

-1 1/16 - -1 1/16

JRZ shock settings (clicks)

Low Bump

3-5 - 5-3

3-5 - 5-3

High Bump

6-9 - 9-6

6-11 - 11-6

Rebound

6-8 - 8-6

6-11 - 11-6

The rest of the races are variations of the above.

On 7-28-06 at Barber they changed the final camber settings to:

-3 - -3

-2 1/2 - -2 1/2

Front Toe OUT 1/16 - 1/16

Rear Toe 0 - 0

And my own notes on fuel usage:

Spokane Raceway 11 gals /HR ( 5.5 gals 30 mins)

PIR: 4.5 mins /gallon

ORP: 4.5 mins/gal; 60mins about 14 gallons

Boxkita you should figure about 14 gallons/hour on most courses.

220 = driver plus helmet plus gear? I guess I need to change my diet. I've been bulking up to run more hp.

Both cars have different size tanks, so the % full matters. The race wagon has ~60 lbs more fuel (street car had 110 octane at time of CB, racecar was 93?)

Go Paleo! See Marks Daily Apple .com

Race Gas: 93 Octane Plus Torco Accelerator to bring it to 103.

Folks should keep in mind when comparing the two cars that the race car has a boss NASCAR roll cage. Every Tech inspector commented how much over spec it is compared to the minimalist rules matching cages they usually see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm counting down the days until the racewagon moves to its new home. Never one to do things without a bit of drama, I've been looking for a larger workspace ever since I realized race cars require so much more space than a street car. Assuming everything goes according to plan, I'll have 1500sf of "WTF is that part now" when I get back from Thunderhill. First order of business is to get the current garage cleared out so I can get the street wagon back on the road.

Speaking of Thunderhill, I'm going to the 25 hour race next week as pit crew for a PNW team, Lowe Group Racing. If come to the race, look for the white e36 M3 GTR. That's us.

Edited by boxkita

• 3 weeks later...

25 hours of Thunderhill. If you've never gone, you'll never understand. I watched every video, talked to veterans, worked the last week of the build for the team I went with. I went as crew of the Lowe Group Racing team running a BMW M3 GTR that was built in 11 weeks, finishing just in time to load on the truck. We finished 11th overall of 70+ cars. 5th in ES class. We had 5 drivers and ~20 support crew.

The 5am pitstop was really tough. I'd been up 23 hours straight. I was cold, tired, exhausted, etc. We, the pit crew, were in our huddle to be sure everyone knew what they were doing. We were adding 2 more tasks and 1 more person to the people over the wall. The new person was high-energy from a rest period. The rest of us were low-energy and cold. After the huddle break, those of on the side of the car with the new person went thru the dry runs to be sure everyone knew where to be and when.

In our class, ES, we can change all 4 tires and take on a full fuel load. In the lower classes, you get 1 tire & 10 gallons per stop. However, during fueling, we can't touch the car only swap the driver. Fueling takes about 55 seconds. Each wheel has 5 lug nuts. We wash the windshield, add a quart of oil, check & fix any issues. On average 12 people are over the pit wall during the stop.

The call goes out to the driver to get fuel numbers. The crew chief and race strategy expert discuss when to bring in the car in. The crew starts checking tires are pressured correctly, marked and staged. Water bottle for the driver is filled and staged. The next driver is getting his pre-stint briefing. The next -next driver is located and his gear is staged.

The call goes out to the driver to pit on the next lap. The crew goes into huddle and everyone confirms their tasks. Any issues are worked out in huddle so everyone is on the same page. After huddle break, we all check the items we need are ready. We're all jumping in place and swinging our arms to get the blood flowing. It's in the low 30's, clear sky, dark except where the overheads and headlamps are making pools of light.

The car is 2 turns away. The pressurized tanks for the air guns and the air jacks are turned on. Guns are checked for proper torque. The fueling crew is staged to be the first over the wall. The fire suppression team has checked their safeties for the last time. The guy with fuel spill prevention mat has changed his process after taking a near header on the previous stop. The tire removal crew have their battery guns ready to go and the new tire in hand.

The car is on pit road. Lights out for the car as the effect at 50 feet is blinding. It's going max pit road speed at 25mph, with the rest of the pack flashing by at 120 just on the other side of the wall. The car makes the turn for our spot.The fire suppression team is over the wall. The car is braking for the full stop. The fire spill mat goes down as the car comes to a full stop.

Car is stopped. The fueling person is over the wall and leaning hard on the fueling rig to keep fuel flowing at max rate. The 'dead man' controlling fuel flow is watching for the slightest change in posture to turn off the gravity feed. The 2 wall side tire removers are in place with tires to the right, guns poised at the first nut but not touching. Flashilghts/headlamps are scanning for any issues. The driver change guy is getting the current driver unbuckled and disconnected from the car. The drink hose is disconnected and tossed clear to be picked up by the water boy, who swaps in the new container and puts the new hose in. The pit road side tire crew is in place and checking for issues. The oil fill team is in place and looking for any signs of damage.

Fueling is still going on. 47 seconds to add 40 gallons. It seems like forever.

Tank is full and spitting up vent tube. Rear pit side tire changer notices and nudges fuel guy. He pulls the hoses. The air jack guy plugs in and yells "Going up!". The lug nuts are already coming off before the car even clears the ground. A quick tug on the rear bodywork to help the jacks overcome 250 lbs of fuel. The worn tires are off. The new driver is settling in, checking belts and getting comfortable for the long drive ahead. The oil crew has added the 1 quart and is now checking for other issues.

The new tires are on. Waiting on the air guns to get the nuts torqued to spec. The crew is clearing the pit wall. The fuel crew and rear tire removal crew is at the back of the car ready to push the car (sometimes the sequential gearbox is temperamental). The windshield is clean on the drivers side. Being cleaned on passenger side.

All tires are torqued with a torque wrench as the air guns are dying from lack of pressure. The driver helps by putting on the brakes. The hood is lowered and pinned. Then double-checked by the crew chief. Every one is clear except the air jack guy and the rear pushers. The driver starts the car and idles.

The air jack guy pulls the quick release and the car drops. When the air is out, he pulls the hose clear and jumps over the wall yelling "Clear!". The crew chief points the light saber down track, the rear pushers lean in hard and the driver feeds fuel. The car moves off to pit road.

We all stand and watch anxiously waiting to see if we beat the yellow flag pace car. Its close, we make it on track with seconds to spare. A brief cheer, then we turn to clean up the debris from the stop. Checking tire pressures and updating the chart. Post drive debrief with driver & team manager. Getting next set of tires ready to go. Letting the adrenalin rush from another successful stop wash thru.

Its later, we're crashed in the crew trailer. Getting liquids and food in. We're tired. Pretty soon, we're asleep. Later, my fitbit will show my heart rate dropped to 40 after this stop (at my current level of fitness, this is coma-like sleep).

MorningAtThurnderhill.thumb.jpg.324ed080d2e9821e64be1f08c8042c3c.jpg

Great write up. It was a great experience for me to just be there and watch teams like yours in operation. Ya'll were amazing.

You left out the part where Sgt.Gator is standing there watching the ballet and thinking OMG, do I REALLY want to do this? Can I AFFORD the cost of this? Do I have the STAMINA for this? Am I too OLD for this?

The answer being yes, no, no, yes, well maybe if someone else is the crew chief, but I'm not going to try to run the crew.

Time to start prepping for THILL 25 2017!

Great write up. It was a great experience for me to just be there and watch teams like yours in operation. Ya'll were amazing.

You left out the part where Sgt.Gator is standing there watching the ballet and thinking OMG, do I REALLY want to do this? Can I AFFORD the cost of this? Do I have the STAMINA for this? Am I too OLD for this?

The answer being yes, no, no, yes, well maybe if someone else is the crew chief, but I'm not going to try to run the crew.

Time to start prepping for THILL 25 2017!

I'd thought I'd leave that part for you. :lol:

It was one thing to be in the moment and getting it done, it was another to talk thru the last 2 weeks with an interested bystander who was there for the same reasons as myself. I've had visions of bringing the wagon to the 25 hours.

I joined this team via an invitation from another team that was unable to obtain funding for this year's race. We're targeting Dec 2017 for our team car. We'll see how that plays out.

Having been moderately successful at getting people to come help on race days when run locally; getting a group to show up for the 25 hours includes paid in full flights, rental cars, food, lodging, team shirts & coats is a far greater cost. Most of the crew took 2 days off work to be there for the 4 full days. Gator and I guesstimated the cost for the team I was on at 25k +/- 5k.

There was another team that had 3 cars with a crew of 5 and 3 drivers per car. All finished at the top of their class and in the top 15 overall.

I'm at PRI and met an owner/driver/team captain here. His team won one of the THill 25 classes this year, but it's not one of the professional teams.

22 on the Crew.

5 drivers which he said was 1 too many, but they did it to cut costs. next year he will up the driver seat cost and reduce to 3 drivers plus himself.

Driver seats $10K, next year $12.5K.

The large team was because they had quite a few spotters around the course. That helped keep them from being run over by the Prototypes and ES cars. And the spotters can't stand out in the cold all night without rotations.

Didn't I see you on your team spotter rotation list too? How did that go?

I'm at PRI and met an owner/driver/team captain here. His team won one of the THill 25 classes this year, but it's not one of the professional teams.

22 on the Crew.

5 drivers which he said was 1 too many, but they did it to cut costs. next year he will up the driver seat cost and reduce to 3 drivers plus himself.

Driver seats $10K, next year $12.5K.

The large team was because they had quite a few spotters around the course. That helped keep them from being run over by the Prototypes and ES cars. And the spotters can't stand out in the cold all night without rotations.

Didn't I see you on your team spotter rotation list too? How did that go?

Spotters are worth their freight. We had one in the pits and one on the hill. It removes the requirement to watch your mirrors

Here's some pics related. I was at the PRI show this week. They had the Honda Thill25 Civics there. Note the damage.

The story, which may or may not be true, is that Al Unser Jr was leaving the hot pits in his Wolf ESR car and couldn't find the light switch. I'm not sure what happened as he entered the straight but the result is the signature on the damaged Honda: "Sorry about your luck. Al Unser Jr."

There's more pics over in my STI race car thread. http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5535756&postcount=245

1151394544_PRIHondaDamageThill25.jpg.b681b354ea51330a53d4fd2693e9978c.jpg

701170448_PRIHondaDamageThill25AlUnser.thumb.jpg.15a60a6f53ca412f9c6267fec00b48c9.jpg