LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

Might as well call him the captain with those wings.

0f35655c91040a3a43fd2f267e6d7173.jpg

What a great era in motorsports.

Great Pic!

As a kid growing up in the 60's the Chaparral cars were mind blowing, and even today they still are!

Chaparral_2F_-_Mike_Spence_-_1967.jpg

http://ashcom.homestead.com/RMH3257W.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral_Cars

I have to stop at the museum in Texas sometime. Maybe I'll make a trip to the F1 race in Austin and add the Chaparral Wing of the Petroleum Museum....

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 4 weeks later...

The final race this year was at The Ridge in Shelton WA. It was an interesting weekend because it misted/drizzled most of the time, a few dry periods, then the last race it rained hard enough to cause some big problems (but no damage to our car!)

I entered the Subaru of Bend - Stars - Colonel Red Racing Silver Eagle in both the Group 4 ST race, and in the Group 1 SPM race. That way we got twice the racing and exposure for not much more in entry fees.

Saturday was an on and off drizzle day. Everyone was yanking dry tires and wet tires on and off all day trying to be on the right set when we hit the track. We had Qualifying sessions and a practice non points races Saturday, along with the Enduro race where I co-drove the Stars Acura Integra, Rocky, in the ME3 class.

Sunday broke with consistent windy and drizzley conditions. Many of the GT1 Nascar cars packed up and headed home without racing. But the Silver Eagle stuck it out. We started the Group 4 race in mildly wet conditions and I found myself behind a Viper ACR for most of the race. Boy I wanted to pass him! Several times he got a good lead but then I would reel him back in and be right on his rear bumper. I kept thinking I would get a chance to pass him but it was not to be.... in the ST class we were in a solid 2nd place when on the last lap a turbo boost hose blew off! I ducked into the pits, jammed the hose back on (the clamp was gone in the wind) and drove around to the scales for my official weigh in. The result was we took third in ST.

I now have expensive constant pressure T-Bolt clamps ordered!

The Group 1 SPM race was the last race of the day and the rain decided to open up halfway thru the race. Luckily I had adjusted my rear wing up to max downforce for such a possibility. Almost all of us had slicks on which made for some excitement. My main problem was not the slicks, it was fog on my windshield. The temperature dropped and the rain picked up which for some reason caused my windshield to get foggy as heck on the main straight. On the top of the ridge in the curves it would clear off enough to see, but at the end of the main straight it was scary crazy. Most race cars don't have a heater/defroster, and all I have is two inline 3" blowers. The blowers couldn't keep up with the fog, particularly the far left portion of my windshield. That made it impossible to see upcoming left turn corner lines/apexes, and the end of the main straight is two left turns!. Driving by Braille.

Near the end of the race I had been battling with a Pro 3 car, I finally passed him on the main straight. The windshield fogged up so bad I couldn't see the turn at the end of the straight, missed it and went off the track. I kept the 4 wheel drive churning and climbed the hill to pop back out on the track right behind the Pro3 car I had just passed. Dang! However three corners later his tail slid out and he was off track. I passed him and finished the race ahead of him. We took 2nd place in SPM.

Some very nice cars slid in the rain and hit the wall, but the Silver Eagle emerged essentially unscathed. Here's a pic in the drier weather on Saturday:

5kHorHvnX3B-OhGSnP74SC2PTNCJCIic0najZrUuQyncxEFEu-DluEElAbNOjGx4nm_0WPr_yx1RjDGzOv9dHO_z-SIDgkZMtYMSLQ0tNI1AL6FRZCeXK-ye1NRmQzUlChjUuTWFQFHHVZyFtVy6oktq8-kLddY_320Y38nfSMr-Kun_UB7uxD1iDwILAVldOCEH9qKyqeSlpGbn5AxqKKU10lrdf8GQqJMo9t4rQycC2SOXeXmMD3Gizgjf64u4Nri1iZTeAkXvJUFV1XPiWmSJXMlqV2I7ru16k7kKNCl8ZCq9g9N1yDZlUHB8egxaViJTHPhUN2bnE9tW03ctiWVFR165y0FdjOgnMg2XugrraT-9xwidhBpL_YvzYlW-NChJvyEnf3sMC5Xf7YlA2dkhVUHkTlRjTcMaIb4DkEQTsdyjfQ84W5yFrIs2YiMH0wV6-koS-lUq5sSkM4CU1AmQ6A2LFn1Yskxsc76JV6Kr47DuG-0ge_smmFPqhmli4DYkSPX32D1RnOMcd3dSMIM1OhRikUVzm9HFlXq5EN8=w1361-h908-no

I had some weird issues I've never seen before. On Saturday my channel alarm for EGTs went off. It would happen whenever I was WOT for more than a few seconds in the last race of the day. It didn't come back Sunday, and looking at my data my Cobb AP data shows normal EGTs, it was my AIM data that was funky.

Then Sunday the same situation with Boost data. The AIM data shows boost creeping higher in each session, finally hitting 30 lbs + . But my Cobb AP recorded normal boost pressures. If my turbo hose hadn't blown off I would say it was a rain/water problem on the AIM sensors for both EGT and Boost, but the hose blowing off supports the high pressure.

I'll be running the car on Cobb's Dyno again before I go back out on track!

I'll work on the videos this week and post one soon.

It was great seeing Boxkita at the race, and a big thanks to MrTris for coming out and volunteering at the track on a very nasty weekend.

Next Year wintertime work:

We will continue entering in both Group 1 SPM and Group 4 ST to maximize race time for each tow/hotel/event cost.

A new APR rear wing that is lower drag and lighter.

Revised air intake, IATs are too high.

Relocate the dry sump tank further back in the car and put a heat shield between it and the driver.

Add a third blower to the defogging system for the left side of the windshield.

Better rain tires.

A bigger or second oil cooler for the dry sump.

Route the EWG dump back into the exhaust pipe.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Picture in post 527 doesn't seem to be working for me.

Anyone else have this problem? It's working OK on my end....

A very respectable performance all around! Keeping up with a Viper ACR is no mean feat. I bet a lot of the other racers wished they had AWD like you...

Re: the windshield fogging, a product like this might help:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Anti-Fog-3.5oz-Bottle/16889024

(Edit: except maybe not that one specifically, it has crap reviews.)

Edited by 5th Earth

I edited post 527 with a much smaller version of the image. Hopefully this one will download for ya'll.

A very respectable performance all around! Keeping up with a Viper ACR is no mean feat. I bet a lot of the other racers wished they had AWD like you...

Re: the windshield fogging, a product like this might help:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rain-X-Anti-Fog-3.5oz-Bottle/16889024

(Edit: except maybe not that one specifically, it has crap reviews.)

Thanks. Years ago I tried RainX on the outside of a windshield and was highly disappointed. Reading the Reviews on Amazon.com are not encouraging!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Still not seeing the picture. Even opened (Edit View) post 527 to see where the pic is embedded or linked. Nothing there. Good text comments, but text only.

Are you using http://legacygt.com/forums/images/editor/insertimage.gif or http://legacygt.com/forums/images/editor/attach.gif?

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm using the Insert Image URL function. Strange that many folks can see them but some can't.

Here's a different pic that's even smaller:

yX-EI3bfCM6-5rRASlD1RuSjXICOv7Al2t6-oK9hsgaMtTvPfzHVWzTnus6QkpHtNdkAXZOgfefiO3htWz4BJqPuZbsQp2G_NJoGUfbFEtg5R6m3rCBFaS-FUnpapBpv-UTFb0DmKhyQTdIfoVLPRLebuHQ9lD1QAVnjpcWyv_eV2ZK_-TA44LB4wEpVqlZo8R_bLeecDpmy42OWAj-4getvyKT5mwZV-TG8JRsoJaDMaZfmN0l7-dS4ZNf3fnYxLcvApRePOqZuI4Jy1pwy32Eb3mNyRTymJhRJhlQJnTB5XH-RYieVF8uQ4lgIYrUf46srz-YRmqwfPEe0RTeqD4rTdU-dVSfptYhpnqypF8cgixPG6B4TcnGu4QrqilXxlashh6KG172Ep2R5X0oijhB4vXCi0Uu5bZxLxPZ3-Mqw9onhVD2sM3rlREIwWj45nSXi-4QktHD4oHK1oGyLpWLeGEQm3dGLVLRM5LwdWGkIbR5yC0Rd1WwD5f1O00MZlCI2hCXkuUK9lNGQr9DX18NnpKyHAVwFHiMwEsgTsoU=w899-h600-no

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Thanks. Years ago I tried RainX on the outside of a windshield and was highly disappointed. Reading the Reviews on Amazon.com are not encouraging!

Rather than replace the failing windshield wiper motor, we rainx the inside and outside of windshield on miata . On race weekend I get funny looks when I don't use the wipers. However never need them. Had to rainx my glasses this time too.

Have an ancient bottle which works great. the new bottle not so well. so in the end, once again, I ve given you useless advice. You're welcome.

We also use griot speed shine with good success. will be getting their window polishing kit this winter and cleaning it thoroughly

Holy body roll, Batman!

You need some suspension help? I got a stock sway bar looking for a new home

I've got both my front and rear at home. I couldn't find the thread but I remember someone did it awhile ago somewhat seriously.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I've got both my front and rear at home. I couldn't find the thread but I remember someone did it awhile ago somewhat seriously.

Assumingthat is turn 13, that's normal for all cars. Off camber left turn with steep drop off. Miata does the same thing there too.

Btw if you get to the ridge, you can run a go kart on a 1/5th size replica of the track. Track record is currently 50 seconds. Which translates to a 4:10 lap on the big track. Big teack record is around 1:20 maybe faster now

Rather than replace the failing windshield wiper motor, we rainx the inside and outside of windshield on miata . On race weekend I get funny looks when I don't use the wipers. However never need them. Had to rainx my glasses this time too.

Have an ancient bottle which works great. the new bottle not so well. so in the end, once again, I ve given you useless advice. You're welcome.

We also use griot speed shine with good success. will be getting their window polishing kit this winter and cleaning it thoroughly

Reading the Amazon reviews there's 3 people who are haters for every one who likes the RainX. Some people swear it's dangerous because of the streaks and how hard it is to remove it once applied.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been using Rain X since I starting driving 23 years ago. My first couple cars didn't have AC, so back then the interior anti-fog was a necessity.

Not sure when they changed it, but I also remember the older windshield rain repellent lasting longer. I've recently switched to Aquapel for the front and rear windshields. It lasts ~6 months on the front, almost a year on the rear window.

Just bought Invisible Glass with rain repellent, don't now yet how long it holds up.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I've been using Rain X since I starting driving 23 years ago. My first couple cars didn't have AC, so back then the interior anti-fog was a necessity.

Not sure when they changed it, but I also remember the older windshield rain repellent lasting longer. I've recently switched to Aquapel for the front and rear windshields. It lasts ~6 months on the front, almost a year on the rear window.

Just bought Invisible Glass with rain repellent, don't now yet how long it holds up.

Thanks. I've heard good stuff about Aquapel for the exterior rain windows and the reviews on Amazon are glowing. But the Aquapel Anti-Fog Interior has mostly bad reviews, most of the same problems as RainX Anti Fog. I think I'll try the Aquapel on the exterior of my cars for rain, and mount a hair dryer in the race car for the fog!

Thanks. I've heard good stuff about Aquapel for the exterior rain windows and the reviews on Amazon are glowing. But the Aquapel Anti-Fog Interior has mostly bad reviews, most of the same problems as RainX Anti Fog. I think I'll try the Aquapel on the exterior of my cars for rain, and mount a hair dryer in the race car for the fog!

Big lots has a sale on brushes and combs today. I'll be sure to zip tie some on for you at the next race are you going to be taking appointments too?

• 1 month later...

If you haven't seen Shralp's video of us battling our LGT Wagons Wagons at ORP, check out this thread.

Thanks Frontside Productions!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hot-lap-orp-colonel-red-racing-legacy-246967.html

Reading the Amazon reviews there's 3 people who are haters for every one who likes the RainX. Some people swear it's dangerous because of the streaks and how hard it is to remove it once applied.

Haters gonna hate.

When I first started racing in the Conference, there was a guy at every race weekend with a trunk full of RainX, and he handed the stuff out freely. I still have a dozen or so bottles of it, and some of the anti fog too.

One of the other Z drivers I raced against would put RainX on his entire car. Swore it gave him 2 to 3 seconds a lap. I think he was cheating mechanically, cam, pistons, flywheel . . . . . .

But his car shed water very well in the wet races.

I always used it on my windshield, inside and out. Even on dry weekends. The bugs and tire turf scuffs always cleaned up easily. The key is to apply it per the directions, and then keep the glass clean and reapply the product frequently.

I never needed to use the wiper.

Ever.

I rainx too. Its cheaper than fixing the bad windshield motor on the miata. my wife tells me I comments from the spectators who see everyone else's wiper on high and mine never move. If it wasn't for the rules, I'd remove them entirely.

I use griot speed shine on tbe rest of the car. The difference shows up in pics of miatas in the rain. :)