LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

I just picked up a Spec B yesterday and here's why I bought it over the GT. I went from a WRX to the Legacy, because I'll be on the road a lot more...tele-conferencing and what-not. I needed a quiet interior. I drove ( back to back ) LGT, LGT auto, Spec B. The Spec B's interior was quieter, felt more stable on the highway, and seemed ( due to the 6 speed ) more fun. I had even driven the Lexus IS and ES before hand, and picked the Spec B over them on interior noise levels and comfort. That being said, make your own assessment and buy what you want....that's what I did. :)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd
Thats just because SpecB owners typically have bigger penis's than us peon GT owners.

Not bigger, heavier and filled with lead :lol:

I guess I picked a topic that struck a chord with many people. lol

I think I will just have to drive them both and see them first hand. Then I can make a judgement on if the spec b is really worth the extra money.

I seriously wish that the nav was an option. I wouldnt mind taking off 2k for something I would never use. I think they made a poor choice by making it standard.

Squishy suspension and RE92 tires FTL every single time.

There is no way you can defend the stock suspension and tires on ther LGT. The stock suspension and tires are really crappy and take away any sort of driving fun. The VTD LSD in the LGT is a complete joke as well....

Also, saying that you can just add on coilovers and make your car handle bette then a spec. b is laughable as well. Any suspension modifications will be handicapped by the crapiness of the RE92s.

driving properly consists of getting where you want to go safely providing that you are not pushing the limits of adhesion to the road in any condition. at this, they succeed. at aggressive driving, they fail. you must make that clear in your statements

There is no way you can defend the stock suspension and tires on ther LGT. The stock suspension and tires are really crappy and take away any sort of driving fun. The VTD LSD in the LGT is a complete joke as well....

Also, saying that you can just add on coilovers and make your car handle bette then a spec. b is laughable as well. Any suspension modifications will be handicapped by the crapiness of the RE92s.

C'mon. The LGT isn't that bad. It's actually pretty good. Get some better tires and it's very good. Add an AP Stage I and for a total of ~$1200 you have a smart performer.

^the first "non fanatical statement regarding the Spec-B and it's superiority over the GT" statement i have seen from Vimy. keep in mind that i don't follow his post's much, but still. :)

???

Right...

I think most people are focusing in this thread are writing about what constitutes the proper driving characteristics of a driving enthusiast car and at what cost level.

The regular LGT can be seen as a failure on a couple of levels in that respect.

I'm not quite sure how you could interpret the wishes of a driving enthusiast(on an car enthusiast board dedicated to a supposed "sports sedan") to want a car that simple provides safe transportation for point a to b. Especially, in a thread trying to demonstrate the cost to performance ratio worth of one model over another.

C'mon. The LGT isn't that bad. It's actually pretty good. Get some better tires and it's very good. Add an AP Stage I and for a total of ~$1200 you have a smart performer.

I'm not saying the LGT in it's current guise is a bad car. However, people defending cost to performance ratio of the LGT over the spec. B are imbelishing their point.

Everyone knows the USDM LGT was watered down from the JDM BL/BPs. The spec. B is closest thing we have got in North America to a properly factory tuned JDM Legacy.

^is performance-oriented driving mentioned there?

Being that most of the modifications and options of the spec. B model were for the performance minded(driving enthusiasts) and constitute the difference in cost between it and the LGT.

What exactly are we supposed to comment on?

The title of is thread is ambiguous but the original poster mentions they are comparing the LGT to the spec. B. I'm not sure how you can avoid talking about driving characteristics of each car and how they relate to the driving enthusiast. Especially, when the majority of changes of the spec. B were to make it better at "performance-oriented driving" and not just driving from point a to b.

If your a driving enthusiast who doesn't want to mod right out of the box to make the legacy drive properly get the LGT.

If you want a AWD camry and aren't going to mod get the LGT.

???

Right...

I think most people are focusing in this thread are writing about what constitutes the proper driving characteristics of a driving enthusiast car and at what cost level.

The regular LGT can be seen as a failure on a couple of levels in that respect.

I'm not quite sure how you could interpret the wishes of a driving enthusiast(on an car enthusiast board dedicated to a supposed "sports sedan") to want a car that simple provides safe transportation for point a to b. Especially, in a thread trying to demonstrate the cost to performance ratio worth of one model over another.

I'm not saying the LGT in it's current guise is a bad car. However, people defending cost to performance ratio of the LGT over the spec. B are imbelishing their point.

Everyone knows the USDM LGT was watered down from the JDM BL/BPs. The spec. B is closest thing we have got in North America to a properly factory tuned JDM Legacy.

Being that most of the modifications and options of the spec. B model were for the performance minded(driving enthusiasts) and constitute the difference in cost between it and the LGT.

What exactly are we supposed to comment on?

we went from debating the definition of "proper driving" to the connotation of the "spec-b" moniker. we are not making progress.

/myparticipationinthisthread

we went from debating the definition of "proper driving" to the connotation of the "spec-b" moniker. we are not making progress.

/myparticipationinthisthread

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Right.....

Except who was talking about "proper driving"?

That isn't a quote from any of my posts!!!:lol::lol:

It seems your logic is based on a false assumption.

"If your a driving enthusiast who doesn't want to mod right out of the box to make the legacy drive properly get the LGt(which should be "spec. B" instead of LGT)"

Unless, the rules of english changed in the past few minutes..... Nothing in this sentence touchs upon debating "proper driving" in the sense of safe travel like you previously mentioned in your follow up post to that comment

driving properly consists of getting where you want to go safely providing that you are not pushing the limits of adhesion to the road in any condition. at this, they succeed. at aggressive driving, they fail. you must make that clear in your statements

My post is meant to point out that a driving enthusiast would find the LGT lacking in certain oem equipment that would hamper the driving experience in their opinion In the context of a driving enthusiast, a car can have attributes that would not make it "drive properly" to their standards.

:lol:

You got me real good though!!

:lol:

Quick quote something else!

"/myparticipationinthisthread" <- Brilliant debate technique. Make non sequitur comments and arguments. Try to justify your rational by quoting something that never existed and leave while thinking you made a point.

For me the cost of Bilstein HD's/Pinks/Aluminum Bits was less than having a Spec. B properly repainted to GRP. Keep in mind that the decision was only between the '06 GT and SB. Didn't want nav. cause I wanted the flexibility to put in my own system or gauges.

Garnet red is the best performance option SOA has offered. :)

Oh and I paid $24,300 for my car which puts the price delta around $6k.

I personally think that the car is great. It'd be great to have more power, say the EJ257 from the Impreza STI, maybe with a black intake manifold instead of the red.

But, at least put the black Brembos from the STI Limited on the car. THOSE, the spec.B deserves, at least.

Otherwise, the new 6MT makes it a far more worthwhile consideration, than the old 5MT versions. I'd say the car became "worth it" once that happened, at least in my opinion. But I do wish they'd given it the Brembos, as well, for MY2008. Maybe next year. :)

Is the Spec.B really quieter than the LGT? Do they use more sound deafening materials in the Spec.B?

FWIW, as someone mentioned in this thread, I really wanted my Legacy in SWP. If the Spec.B was offered in that color, I would have thought long and hard about getting one. :)

^^ Yeah absolutely. I can't afford a spec.B anyway, right now, but they need to offer that puppy in white. Maybe a really crisp white color, a Championship White or something like that. SWP is very nice, but the spec.B colors like to be a bit different.

Is the Spec.B really quieter than the LGT? Do they use more sound deafening materials in the Spec.B?

FWIW, as someone mentioned in this thread, I really wanted my Legacy in SWP. If the Spec.B was offered in that color, I would have thought long and hard about getting one. :)

second on that question. Any threads been posted about the sound difference already?

Im getting an 05 LGT ltd in the near future, not even looking at spec b, because of PSA performance.(Personal Spending Ability). Have only had a chance to drive an 05 2.5i and didnt notice it to be loud but didnt to a very long ride on the highway and wasnt listening for it. After testing that I then rode a 04 WRX and.... was sure if the legacy was in my future, which i loved the fit and finish for commming from a 300M, that i needed the GT.

I found the Spec B to be quieter, which was definitely a consideration when I made my purchase. I even test drove the Lexus ES350 before hand. The Spec B was quieter over the same pavement and driving speed than the LGT. I don't know if it's more sound deadening or the tires, but it was noticeable enough that I brought home the Spec B. The '07 is the only one I've driven, but to me it very much reminds me of my 2001 Audi S4....only better.

Being quieter than the LGT is not one of the things listed that is different with the sB option package. The spec.B is a GT with a big option package on it which adds to the car a bunch of extra/modified bolted on components.

I seriously doubt that FHI packed extra sound deadening or used different window/door seals on the sB model so I think saying the sB is quieter than an LGT is probably false. My dad has an 07GT and it seems just as quiet as our 08sB. Compared to our 05 STi (with aftermarket exhaust) both Legacys are vault-like in their serene driving experience.

^ I just read the above post and perhaps swiftrabbit is correct. Since I doubt it's a sound deadening issue, then the only differences that could make a difference are the Bilstein shocks, the aluminum suspension pieces, wheels and RE05A tires.

Archived