LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, for $2K or $3K the "B" is probably worth it, maybe even $4K. I believe though you can only go by the Subaru list price. It's the only standard to go by. Besides, I purchased my LGT through a wholesaler [great guy, great deal] forl $5K to $6K belowthe best SpecB prices I've seen mentioned on this board.

Back to the speed question. Has anyone really run an unmodified "B" against an LGT over a 1/4 mile, repeatedly? By the way, why do those special factory "B" motors even need a 6 speed box behind them? All that extra power, and grip, and less tail squat...Give me a break, I doubt you could spin all 4 tires on dry pavement in either. With good traction, 250 torques over a broard power band doesn't benefit from an extra gear ratio. I'm guessing you'd still be in 3rd in both cars at the end of a 1/4 mile.

Weight costs power and economy, anyway you look at it. Colin Chapman [Lotus] said "Simplify and add lightness". Lotuses where fast, outhandled, and outbraked the competition. Cars are becoming unforgivingly flabby these days, my LGT included.

Look, it boils down to two things; 1. Personal choices with how you spend your money, and 2. Cost vs. benefit ratio, and this is measurable.

Cheers, Albatross.

Now correct me if I am wrong here, as I could be, but I thought the 6MT was a bit more bullet proof over the 5 speed. That was my main reason for getting the Spec. With all the trans problems I have had in the past with other cars, I WASN'T going to chance it again. Well, that, and I never had a 6 speed before and thought it would be fun for a change.
If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

I voted yes. However, that's going by what prices usually are, at the end of the model year. Not the beginning. There can be some big differences. :D

The 6MT alone counts for a lot. That's one heck of a nice transmission, if you ask me, compared to the 5MT. Then add the Bilsteins and all the rest? Yeah, very nice. Of course we all wish for the S402 to plunk down on dealership lots, but for all the griping American Subaru owners have done.... SoA has done right by us. People just don't choose to admit it.

'02 WRX. Goodbye, all other sport compact competition.

'04 Impreza STi. The first EJ257. Surprise!

How about the '09 WRX, just one year after the model's bow, upping 40hp, with a better suspension and swankier interior? That's pretty freakin' nice. The '08 guys can trade up.

Of course there's downers, too (losing the Legacy wagons), but people make it sound like SoA is the devil, sometimes.

Of course there's downers, too (losing the Legacy wagons), but people make it sound like SoA is the devil, sometimes.

Well, that's only because they seem to withhold all the good stuff they get in Japan, Australia, NZ, Europe, UK, and everywhere else. They finally trickle it in here after years of pent-up demand.

The only thing we got before everyone else was the 2.5 liter, 300hp engine in the STI (oh, and the Tribeca, but that's not a performance vehicle). Everything else comes years later, if at all.

Time for my 2 cents:

I was trying to decide between a specB and an LGT. For me, the specB had more to offer and I was not planning on huge amounts of mods. Granted, mine is a 3.0R specB, but I think the suspension,wheels,and LSD are worth it. I've rode in an LGT, but the specB is a better ride.

;)

I was wishing for a Legacy 3.0R w/ 6MT back in '06, but there was every indication that the 3.0R was never going to show its face here (other than the pseudo 3.0R Outback). I almost bought an Outback 3.0R sedan, thinking I could lower it, but it was auto only, and I was told that, because of the lift, even lowered it wouldn't have the handling of the GT, so I just bought a GT instead. I'm glad I did. I love the torque.

When SoA finally did bring the Legacy 3.0R here in the US, they forgot to put the 6MT in it. Maybe it'll come in 2010 as the 3.6R w/ 6MT.

When this thread go bumped from its dormant state three weeks ago, the count was 103 for "No" and 70 for "Yes".

Today the count is 135 "No " (52.73%) and 121 "Yes" (47.27%).

A little simple math says that the "No's" got 32 more votes and the "Yes" column got another 51 votes. That's some major growth in the Yes column. In fact, the percentage has never been as close to 50/50 as it is today. 14 more "Yes" votes ties it up.

So, based on the statistics for this sample of responders, Subaru could sell almost as many Spec B's as LGT's.

Would they sell as many Spec B's if, they built 1000's instead of lots of 500? Aside from perceived value, are people buying exclusivity?

So, based on the statistics for this sample of responders, Subaru could sell almost as many Spec B's as LGT's.

Would they sell as many Spec B's if, they built 1000's instead of lots of 500? Aside from perceived value, are people buying exclusivity?

I'm pretty sure only 2006 was a limited number of 500 built...I'm not sure how many they make per year now...but I'm sure its more than 500...

From what I understand, they make as many as they get orders/requests for now. They are no longer limited editions of 500. The QSM is a new color for '08 and I guess they expanded it for '09?

EDIT: Yup, just checked, they offer 5 colors now for the '09s.

If I had something important to say, I wouldn't tell you anyway.

Subaru is widening their Trim leves.

Legacy now has the Spec B as a reguarly manufactured car

And soon the STI will be avail.

Imprezza will soon have a 2.5GT

Looks like the WRX is being upgraded to almost STI level

and the STI is bring upgraded

So many choices. I am content with my Spec B. Im paying less for it then the 07 WRX i totaled. It shifts smoother than the LGT and WRX and you can feel the difference in the gear raitos. Ive been told its even better with the the short throw shifter. And it is sexier and more mature then the WRX.

Got any evidence to back up those STI comments? We'd all love for a Legacy STI to happen in the US, and we've been dying to get some indication from SoA that it might happen, but they've been rather quiet on that. I'm sure many would love to see the I-STI upgraded too.

I just wish there was something more substantial than a rumor. Also, that rumor says it'll have a turbo H6 based on the current 3.7 liter. Huh? Subaru ain't got no 3.7 liter 6-cylinder flat 6! A 3.6? Yes! A 3.7? Nope. That kinda deflates that rumor a bit, but we're still holding out hope.

A year or two ago, Tomohiro Ishitobi, Subaru's product planning VP, stated that plans were in the works to widen STI offerings in the US, but it's taking longer than we had hoped. It officially stated by a Subaru official, but plans could have changed.

Since 9/9 the "No" votes have surged to 143 from 135 and the "Yes" vote has climbed marginally from 121 to 125+1.

I wonder how much, if any impact the current 1,500 (LGT) rebate is having on the voting. I believe the spec.B has a 500 rebate but I can see how an additional grand off might pull people away from the B if a person was considering one over the non.B.

Anyway, bump to the top for some more votes.

Hmm, if the spec.B came with an Alaskan woman as its co-pilot, would that sway any votes? :)

edit: and like 2 seconds after this got posted another "Yes" got put in the ballot box.

• 2 weeks later...

:confused: Wuzzofunny? Didn't work for ya?

Got that from reddit.

Edit:

Oh, I think I get it now. I was punny without realizing it! So, yeah, my link was for the presidential election, not this Spec.B election. (but I guess that was obvious...)

Maybe I shoulda included a link for registering on LegacyGT.com...

Okay everybody, get registered to vote right here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/register.php

I was thinking you were referring to new voters for pres, not for Spec.B. My bad.

• 1 month later...

Archived