LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

Ok honestly this might be a stupid question but couldn't you recreate a spec b sans the transmission and navi with about 2k worth of suspension parts?

Bilstein, Spec B springs, LCA,(optional rims).

Cause to be honest, i don't really care about the navi, the transmission however would be nice since aren't the first three gears from the sti as well.

Any tuning that i am missing?

Aluminum suspension parts.

The 6mt is more or a flavour thing as the turbo boxer has a very wide power band. The taller 6th gear should make for more economical highway cruising but its larger mass will take away a little acceleration performance. The 6mt is reputed to be very strong but the 5mt is also capable of handling very heavy power as well.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the hate for the spec. B on this board.

The 6MT(the best manual transmission that Subaru makes. I think its better the the current STI tranny) and the rear mechanical HLSD make the car much more entertaining then the regular GT.

If you were to make a GT truly equal to a spec. B it would not be cost effective. It is more then just wheels, tires and shocks.

The parts that most people forget about are the stronger front diff, 6MT, rear HLSD and aluminum suspension pieces.

The 6MT(the best manual transmission that Subaru makes. I think its better the the current STI tranny) and the rear mechanical HLSD make the car much more entertaining then the regular GT.

If you were to make a GT truly equal to a spec. B it would not be cost effective. It is more then just wheels, tires and shocks.

The parts that most people forget about are the stronger front diff, 6MT, rear HLSD and aluminum suspension pieces.

Its not a hatred, its just really considering whether its cost efficient for someone to get a spec b if its a glorified LGT with suspension, rims and tires.

For example i could careless about the navi i am one of those people who refuse to get one.

Second if its cheaper to upgrade suspension why bother.

Third i wouldn't mind the 6mt tranny its just whether its really necessary.

But now that you bring up the HLSD thats a good chunk of change which could make it worth to get the spec b.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

As far as 0-60 with the 6MT is concerned....

I don't know to many people that just race to 60 MPH. That's more of a magazine thing then anything. In real world scenarios LGT and spec. B with 6MT accelerate similarly but the spec. B can get a slight advantage over the GT with 1 more gear.

Also, remember if your a manual driver the 6MT is a much nicer feeling transmission and alot stronger. Although, the revised 5MT in the GT is no slouch in the strength department.

Unfortunately the 6 speed makes the Spec B slower in 0 to 60 acceleration, as you require an extra shift.

How could a 6mt be slower than a 5mt for 0-60 times because no one is in that gear by the time they reach 60. I am usually in 3rd by then not 5th, let alone 6th. Unless it is a ration thing? Besides from what I understand the 0-60 times on a spec B are slightly better due to the increased torque...

My hypothesis for the hostility on this site towards the Spec.B stems from when the lgt.com was set up. Early members bought the new hot 05 LGT and then SOA goes and cuts them off at the knees by bringing out the 06 Spec.B. I can sympathize with them to a degree. However, the point becomes moot because many of the earliest enthusiasts bought the LGT to mod the crap out of it.

I got tired of all the bashing and decided to become the raspberry seed stuck in their wisdom tooth. BTW, there is a fair amount of self loathing that goes on amongst LGT owners in regard to the image of the model and its comenserate big intial depreciation. I took advantage of this fact to pick up my near new 06 at a very good price. It was owned by a former lgt.com member I found out later.

Its not a hatred, its just really considering whether its cost efficient for someone to get a spec b if its a glorified LGT with suspension, rims and tires.

For example i could careless about the navi i am one of those people who refuse to get one.

Second if its cheaper to upgrade suspension why bother.

Third i wouldn't mind the 6mt tranny its just whether its really necessary.

But now that you bring up the HLSD thats a good chunk of change which could make it worth to get the spec b.

You can upgrade the suspension to get equivalent or more grip for less money that's not difficult thing to do on any car. However, you forgetting the refinement part of the suspension equation and this is hard to replicate in the aftermarket. If you don't care about refinement then yes you can have a car on a skid pad will perform better the a spec. B. However, on the street that is a entirely different story.

6MT versus 5MT and is it necessary?

Depends.... Not really much performance difference between the two. Although, the 6MT is stronger, single mass flywheel and does not get clutch stink like the 5MTs:lol:

IMO the 6MT is leaps and bounds better the 5MT.

Drivetrain on the spec. B is much tougher then the 5MT for modding but like other have said I don't know if that would be applicable to you. Also, the 5MT has been proven to be pretty tuff in the BL/BPs and I don't know if the extra durability and feel of the 6MT drivetrain is worth it to you.

I voted "no" but that's just because I didn't see spending all that additional money when the GT really was nice on its own.

I really like the Alcantera inserts and the suspension gets good reviews. The 6speed is nice, but I didn't need it. Thus it came down to the question of did I want to spend a premium for the ability to combine GPS with a manual transmission (MT is a must in my book) and my decision was "no."

I just thought that the LGT was a better value for the money, but I'm certainly no SpecB hater...

+1.... for the most part

Ok honestly this might be a stupid question but couldn't you recreate a spec b sans the transmission and navi with about 2k worth of suspension parts?

Bilstein, Spec B springs, LCA,(optional rims).

Cause to be honest, i don't really care about the navi, the transmission however would be nice since aren't the first three gears from the sti as well.

Any tuning that i am missing?

Everyone just looks at the big ticket items. THere are a lot of little things the spec B has over a LGT.

Alacantara seats

memory drivers front seat

standard vdc (which can be shut off)

steering wheel audio controls

Just to name the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Then you add the 6spd, aluminum control arms, 18" wheels, nav with manual trans (can't get a 5spd with nav), torsen rear diff. People just tend to concentrate on one system of the package, not the entire package.

Depends.... Not really much performance difference between the two. Although, the 6MT is stronger, single mass flywheel and does not get clutch stink like the 5MTs:lol:

My '08 spec b's clutch does stink. Once when i was reversing up a hill to park, and another time when i launched from a light and was slipping the clutch (instead of dumping it, which i'd never do in first).

btw, anyone know how much a stock spec b wheel weighs? They're ugly, but if they're light, they're not worth replacing.

Instead of laughing can you perhaps correct me?

Thanks.

I think torque is the same - though I'm sure Vimy will cite some thread posting a torque curve above 300 on a stock SpecB - J/k... :p

6mt is slower to 60 because of an extra shift -- you will bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd before you get to 60 in the SpecB (stock) so you need an extra shift into 3rd vs. the 5mt this causes a hesitation and hurts performance on this one metric. Not incredibly important, IMHO, but still means that the 5mt is teh faster to 60.

My '08 spec b's clutch does stink. Once when i was reversing up a hill to park, and another time when i launched from a light and was slipping the clutch (instead of dumping it, which i'd never do in first).

Don't get me wrong you can still get burnt clutch smell with the 6MT but it doesn't quite have the same aroma as the 5MT:lol:

The dual mass flywheel on the 5MT can behave strangely when driving hard as well.

I think torque is the same - though I'm sure Vimy will cite some thread posting a torque curve above 300 on a stock SpecB - J/k... :p

6mt is slower to 60 because of an extra shift -- you will bounce off the rev limiter in 2nd before you get to 60 in the SpecB (stock) so you need an extra shift into 3rd vs. the 5mt this causes a hesitation and hurts performance on this one metric. Not incredibly important, IMHO, but still means that the 5mt is teh faster to 60.

The dyno of the 06 Spec. that we have indicates 242 wt (on winter gas no less).

Because of the 18s with the 5mt on the 06 Spec., it reaches 60 with a little room to spare.

think torque is the same - though I'm sure Vimy will cite some thread posting a torque curve above 300 on a stock SpecB - J/k... :p

Ok that makes more sense. Thank you for the response. I misunderstood the whole extra shift thing.:hide:

Let me give my 2 cents since I have a different reason for buying a Spec-B:

I already have a fun weekend car that I spend a lot of time and $$ working on and modifying. Doing all this work really makes you attached to a car. You worry about it a lot more because of all the blood and sweat you've put into it.

I was looking for a fun daily driver to replace my 05' WRX. I wanted a car that was set up very nice right out of the box. I didn't want a car that I had to spend time and $$ to get it how I wanted it. I basically didn't want to end up with 2 cars in a constant state of upgrades and down-time.

I hope this offers a different point of view that some people haven't thought of.

And for Vinny101...........I'm putting my car back on the dyno this weekend to see what I have now with the Cobb Stage 1 reflash. Dyno chart soon to come...

Archived