LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

We used to have 2 LGTs, now we have an LGT and a Spec B.

We picked up our 07 Spec B with about 10,000 miles on it for just a shade under $30K, when it had stickered for $36K just 8 months earlier. It also had the SPT exhaust, which is great, and the SPT intake, which we quickly ditched and replaced with stock. I don't know if all 07 Spec B cars come with this upgrade, but it added about $1K of value to the car in my eyes.

At that price, it wound up being about $3K more than a comparable LGT, and I would call that worth it. I would not say, owning one, that it would be worth $8K or even $5K more than an LGT.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO no. However I only paid 24K OTD brand new for a LGT non-limited wagon manual. Which taints my "worth" in general of a LGT in version.

I did get a chance to drive the SpecB and liked it however not for $10k premium.

I think the Legacy GT is on par with segment leaders in the 25-30k range. Above 30k, I'm not considering a Legacy anymore, regardless if the model above is "worth it" when you add up the sum of the upgrades. Above 30k, the comparision is now against BMW, Infiniti, and maybe even the new C-class, all of which have more appropriate brand value above 30k than Subaru.

I think the Legacy GT is on par with segment leaders in the 25-30k range. Above 30k, I'm not considering a Legacy anymore, regardless if the model above is "worth it" when you add up the sum of the upgrades. Above 30k, the comparision is now against BMW, Infiniti, and maybe even the new C-class, all of which have more appropriate brand value above 30k than Subaru.

I see your point, however I feel that a LGT in the $30k range will get you more options. Cars like the 3 series or C class start in the low $30s (not too long ago they started at $25k hmm.) but then you add things like heated seats and bigger wheels and we are taling $36k and up.

I think what it comes down to is do you want to pay for status, add $10k for status and performance, or do you just want the performance?

I have a 2006 spec b, with stage two mods. I have had the car one year (12k)... I get many kudos. I think the 07-08 models have a blue accent interior. Mine has red brick leather and many people have commented on the good color combo.

The people at the tunning shop where I took my 06 said the Spec b has a bit more turbo boost.

2006 Legacy Spec b :icon_bigg

2000 Mazda Miata Special Edition :cool:

2006 Honda Odyssey Touring :redface:

I see your point, however I feel that a LGT in the $30k range will get you more options. Cars like the 3 series or C class start in the low $30s (not too long ago they started at $25k hmm.) but then you add things like heated seats and bigger wheels and we are taling $36k and up.

I think what it comes down to is do you want to pay for status, add $10k for status and performance, or do you just want the performance?

Correctamundo!

This was exactly my wife's and my conclusion after driving about 8 other competing cars which included the spec.B.

After wringing out each of the test cars a bit, we decided that no other car in the 30--40K range gave a better bang for the buck than the sB. A few contenders offered more power but the cost for the extra HP came at a major cost. Example --> 335Xi. The cost difference is ludicrous for what you get compared to the spec.B, Yeah it's faster but but it felt like an appliance to drive. It has the sport package but on the Xi you can't get the better shocks with sport package. Nope, not offered. Nice.... Our tester came in at 48K and unless they had a case of columbia's finest in the trunk, I can't figure out what they thought they were bringing to the table for the extra coin. Advanced Engineering? Maybe, but I seriously don't think the BMW felt like it had 15K more engineering in it. Trust me when I tell you that I explored the cars capabilities. Anyway, that must leave implied status or something. Whatever. the 335 is an attractive car (well, the coupe is) but it's way more 'invisible' in traffic than the sB is. Common as Grand Cherokees too. Do they give them out in the mail or what?

I'll sum up my pro-subie rant with this:

Subaru is like BMW used to be when it was a less expensive, sporting alternative to Mercedes Benz (I'm talking late 60's, through the 70's mainly). It's auto evolution that a new underdog will emerge from the depths. Now, it's Subaru's turn to rise up and become world class, the underdog if you will.

The spec.B is only the beggining of FHI's master plan to come outta nowhere and b-slap the krauts right out of their lederhosen.

Mark my words. :cool:

If one is into racing, sure it is. Here is teh definitve answer to the question:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1454531

post #10

Originally Posted by rao http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

It's the King of Cars!!!!

The Legacy has a fine suspension; it is not a race car and some people want to make it feel like one.

I blieve the OP was refering to the Spec. not the LGT. The Spec.B is closer to a race car.

The inverted strut suspension with Al control arms would make it closer to a race car compared to others.:lol:

I'll sum up my pro-subie rant with this:

Subaru is like BMW used to be when it was a less expensive, sporting alternative to Mercedes Benz (I'm talking late 60's, through the 70's mainly). It's auto evolution that a new underdog will emerge from the depths. Now, it's Subaru's turn to rise up and become world class, the underdog if you will.

Mark my words. :cool:

Hence the nickname... preach on brotha!

What I want to know is, will Vimy still feel this way long after he has moved on to another car?? :lol:

That depends. If I move to a car with a less capable suspension and a detuned engine, most probably not. However, if I were to fondly recall the inverted strut suspension and OEM Stage I perfromance, then probably so. Like I say, it depends. ;)

About 2 years ago Road & Track (I think, there's a thread somewhere on this site) took a stock GT and upgraded it to a Spec B +/- some cosmetic features.

R&T's version came in about $500 less than a SPEC B, which I always figured was pretty much the cost of SOA warranty on the finished product.

About 2 years ago Road & Track (I think, there's a thread somewhere on this site) took a stock GT and upgraded it to a Spec B +/- some cosmetic features.

R&T's version came in about $500 less than a SPEC B, which I always figured was pretty much the cost of SOA warranty on the finished product.

Yes they actually took a regular LGT and upgraded the suspension to where iirc it had an electronically adjustable suspension for $500 cheaper, but did that include the labor for installation and an alignment? Their car actually handled better then the sB, but it still didn't have the aluminum suspension bits,steering wheel atmounted audio controls, memory seats, alacantara/brick red seats, nav and other sB stuff. It only had an upgraded suspension.

There was also another article that R&T did iirc that pitted the A4 2.0T, MS6, Bmw 330xi, G35x, and the sB. The Audi overall won just barely, but they went on to say if price was a factor the sB would have won hands down. To think the sB was probably one of the cheaper of the bunch.

'06 Spec B didnt have memory seats.

Ok you got me on one thing, but the 06's were also numbered, and had a sB only exterior and interior color.

Happy?

Also the OP wasn't exactly specific as to year or being in general.

I should have specified that; I am only looking at new cars.......

Its still a tough decision. Unfortunately I think either legacy might not be my style. The legacy might seem a little too adult for me. All your advice was still appreciated because if I consider a legacy I will know which trim level to go with.

While I really dislike the transmission, the R32 is a possibility. I doubt I will like DSG since I have only driven traditional manuals though.

I got the Coilovers and a Magellan. Swapping the NAV from car to car FTW!!!

I love the Spec B but I'm sure my wagon would beat it hands down. As stated earlier, if you are going to leav it stock (kinda hard with these cars) then the Shrec B, if you gonna mod, then the GT cuz you can allways go one more over the Bilstein which looks like a Tonka BTW.

Archived