LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

Well it looks like this poll burned out at about almost 60% saying "No" and about 40% saying "Yes".

Of course the sB isn't going to appeal to everyone and I can certainly understand the reasoning behind both camps. I merely bumped this to see if we missed anyone and to hopefully get it glanced at by SOA to prove that they could probably sell a couple hundred STI models her now.

SOA is your wacky market test/science experiment over yet?

Bring us the good shite already! :spin:

The only way/time we may see an LSTi or tuned by STi LGT is maybe the end of this body cycle. So maybe early 09 they might build a few "limited edition" LSTi's and ship them our way just to move a few more units before the new Legacy shows up just like they did with the STi Limited. However I wouldn't hold your breathe.

PS one large problem exists with your plan. Very few if any members here can even agree on what should/would be acceptable on a LSTi. No matter what price was always to high and unrealistic ideas like a twin turbo H6 always came up. Then there was the other fight, such as for the price I'd just get a 335i. Trust me, when I saw pics of some of our Austrailian friends tuned by STi cars I wanted one. If SOA got their collective heads out of their dark smelly places and did bring it, I'd be hard pressed to trade in my 08 for one. I just don't see anyone at corperate having that performance across the board additude to get it done. Hell even the Subaru tuners don't see the Legacy community as a priority. Everyone including Subaru for better or worse has their eyes fixed on the new Wrx.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS. It's funny that you think SOA would read this forum or even google search terms that might possibly bring it up. Their consumer research does not go beyond car magazine reviews and warranty claims.

Knowing what I know about some of the clients of Buzz Agent and Compete.com - you couldn't be further off in that assessment.

Heck, the one of my friends and his wife were flown out at Mazda's expense to California and given a Miata for a week to drive around wine country and take photos. All because of her blog, which has nothing to do with cars.

Car companies are very aware of what's said online and are learning how to leverage things like traffic on car sites to estimate future sales months down the road.

Knowing what I know about some of the clients of Buzz Agent and Compete.com - you couldn't be further off in that assessment.

Heck, the one of my friends and his wife were flown out at Mazda's expense to California and given a Miata for a week to drive around wine country and take photos. All because of her blog, which has nothing to do with cars.

Car companies are very aware of what's said online and are learning how to leverage things like traffic on car sites to estimate future sales months down the road.

Stewart didn't say "car companies", he said "SOA". Don't get the two confused...:lol:

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 9 months later...
Hmm. I would imagine that SOA pays to have focus groups and/or questionnaires (and whatever else) to get an idea as to what it should do for the American market. Why? Because its tests are probably a LOT more cohesive and organized and reliable than anything we could come up with on our own. C'mon, companies aren't teh stoopid ones you know.

I figure I'll throw my two cents in on this one....and try not to get to hot from the flames...lol But yeah, I bought a a Spec B specifically because I knew that I was going to mod the car and I honestly beat the crap out of my car...I don't abuse it, but I definitely don't drive like grandma and have heard about how much better and stronger the 6 speed is so I kinda figured I pay now for it or I pay later to rebuild the 5 speed....and my last car had a 6 speed so I didn't want to go backwards...lol

Anyways, went Spec B for the transmission, the rear diff, cooler wheels (IMO), better suspension, better tires, aluminum control arms, and for style points...haha I also helped that I got a rediculously good deal on my car...gave me over book on my trade also more than I owed so that was nice and I got my Spec B for just under 30k....

As far as 0-60 with the 6MT is concerned....

I don't know to many people that just race to 60 MPH. That's more of a magazine thing then anything. In real world scenarios LGT and spec. B with 6MT accelerate similarly but the spec. B can get a slight advantage over the GT with 1 more gear.

Also, remember if your a manual driver the 6MT is a much nicer feeling transmission and alot stronger. Although, the revised 5MT in the GT is no slouch in the strength department.

So when did this revised 5MT come out and how can you tell if you have one?

Just 3 days ago this poll was stagnate at 103 votes for "No" and 70 for "Yes".

Today the results are 109 for "No" and 84 for "Yes".

According to the poll, that means that 56.48% of the voters said No, while 43.52 said Yes.

The "Yes" column got 14 new votes and the "No" column got 6 in the last three days alone.

Can the momentum in the "Yes" column catch up with the slowing "No" column?

Tune in to the exciting results right here on Lecgacygt.com.

:lol:

And the beat goes on...

Since yesterday No gained 1 vote and Yes gained 5.

I wonder what's helping to pimp the Yes votes.

Could it be year-end closeout deals,

the 'free' Karman Hardon system for the 09 models

or perhaps someone has posted an audio clip of angels weeping exhaust note on YouTube.

C'mon peeps vote. It is your civic duty.

(not to be confused with the Honda Civic, which is probably in some other poll on some other forum.) :lol:

SOA should be be sending me holiday cards for getting them this data...

I come on here after a long hiatus and was surprised this thread has gotten this amount of activity considering that the last post before this string of posts was about 9 months ago. Lol! Its still relevant but funny nonetheless.

i got mine for 3000 more then an 06 LGT with same cond/miles would go for so for me getting the MP3 capable radio, wheel controls, red seats, rims, suspension, darker silver color, navigation, that wasnt a bad deal. im happy with it

As I recall, about a year ago, R&T took a stock LGT and upgraded it to the specs of a Spec B. I don't recall if it was an exact upgrade using the same parts or equivalent so the debate on various suspension parts can continue.

If I remember, the price of the upgraded LGT was about $600 less than the Spec B which I always thought would be some marginal profit for SOA and the implied cost of additional warranty expense.

Tastes better or, less filling?

As I recall, about a year ago, R&T took a stock LGT and upgraded it to the specs of a Spec B. I don't recall if it was an exact upgrade using the same parts or equivalent so the debate on various suspension parts can continue.

If I remember, the price of the upgraded LGT was about $600 less than the Spec B which I always thought would be some marginal profit for SOA and the implied cost of additional warranty expense.

Tastes better or, less filling?

IIRC they used electronically adjustable struts/shocks on it that allowed the driver to adjust the dampening from the driver's seat. They did a few more things to it and it was cheaper then a spec B and out handled it.

That car still didn't have all the other spec B stuff on it though and probably would get any warranty suspension complaint bounced.

the spec.b also has traction control and both front seats are powered. kinda like a fully loaded legacy plus more.

06 doesnt have traction control.... or SI-Drive:wub: perks for me not for some

I have narrowed down my search to a legacy gt or spec-b or a sport xt forester. There is about an 8 grand difference between the gt and spec b. I like the alcantra and the six speed manual, but I really dont see why its so much more. I am leaning towards going with the gt model if I choose a legacy.

How do you guys feel about this?

Thanks

Are you taking into account the 3-4k discount the dealer will give you on a Spec.B?

I'm a new member, but Ive been visiting this site for a while. I don't know how much my opinion counts, so here goes...

I HAVE driven BOTH the '08 Spec " and LGT with manual tranny, back to back over a period of days, on urban roads and highways, 6 months ago when I was making my buying decision. I definitely do have enough money to purchase a "B", so I'm not jealous of those who did. My conclusion was the "B" is NOT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY. I'll qualify my contention this way. I'm a gearhead, a seat of the pants driver, and I notice everything. I feel a car should be greater than, or at least equal to, the sum of its parts.

I always owned high performance V8s until I purched my SAAB. My [from new] '94 SAAB 9000 CSE Turbo was greater than the sum of its parts, with an amazing engine, great handling [for its day], an incredibly comfortable, spacious, and versatile interior, surprising gas milage [35mpg plus hwy]. A car truly ahead of its time. I'll attempt address the FEW REAL differences between the "B" and LGT.

1. GEARBOXES: Both the 5 speed and 6 speed gearboxes are below average. Gear changes are dissapointing, and the ratios are way too close, particularly 4th and 5th. 5th should provide 30mph/1000rpm @ 2000rpm. This would help gas milage, and the motor has enough torque pull well enough at these rpms.

The final drive ratio on the "B" is the same, and 1/2 inch bigger wheel/tire radius makes little difference. What you do get is one more stupidly close ratio and horrible gear change with the "B". Maybe the extra ratio helps with the 115 lbs extra weight you get on a "B". You can buy aftermarket shifters for both. What's the point?

2. SAT-NAV: I bought a portable speech-to-text GPS for $179.99, with 5 hr battery life, and it plays mp3s. I can take it anywhere and I get to keep the badly needed storage cubby in the dash. If it croaks I can hand it back and demand a new one, no time lost. My wife or I can fiddle with the thing on the fly, no hack or ground wire reworking needed.

3. SEATS: Black leather is going to be easier to clean, and stay looking cleaner longer than blue Alcantra. I'm the only driver, so memory seats are a moot point [they should be standard, it's an insult to pay more]. If I have to make an adjustment it only takes a few seconds.

4. SUSPENSION: Unless you plan to autocross I don't think there's really much in it. I drove the LGT and "B" in wet [PNW wet] and dry conditions reasonably aggressively, and while the "B" felt a little sharper, I'd have to be breaking quite a few traffic laws to utilize this advantage. The LGT has a tighter turning circle, and you can improve the LGT for a few hundred dollars, but you'll just eat up the Potenzas even faster.

5. TORSEN vs. VISCOUS LSD: See above. Really, for 99% of driving there is nothing in it. If you plan to dramatically increase horsepower and torque you'd probably go aftermarket on both diffs, and kiss your warranty goodbye.

6. WHEELS/TIRES: 17" rubber is cheaper to replace, and there's more to choose from. I happen to prefer the 17" wheels, but both 17" and 18" wheels look OK.

7. VDC: "VDC applies braking and/or reduces torque [my emphasis] to help..." [2008 Subaru Sales Brochure] Welcome to the nanny nation. Seriously though, all the really hardcore "B" drivers are probably going to turn the VDC off.

Hey, here's idea for a cheap mod: A fake VDC switch, which you turn "off", and show all your friends.

8. TRIM/ODDS & ENDS: All purely cosmetic, and they must be fairly heavy ones at that. The LGT's fake wood, which is OK, looks just as fake as the fake titanium trim in the "B".

9. PRODUCTION NUMBERS: Exclusivity is worth absolutely nothing at this end of the market. BMW will produce many thousands of 335s, and I know what I'd prefer to be driving. Have I left anything out?

10. BRAGGING RIGHTS: In a straight line/quarter mile drag, wouldn't the LGT be quicker than a "B"? It's 115lb lighter [a whole person worth], has the same power, and has one less crappy gear change to deal with. Has anyone repeatably and reliably raced an umodified LGT against an unmodified "B" at a drag strip?

I do realize value is in the eye of the buyer and it's your hard earned dollar afterall, but the added features on the "B" do not make it worth several thousand dollars [$5K-$6K according to Subaru] more than the LGT. Remember, the same points many bring up to justify purchasing a Spec "B" over various Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Lexuses etc, are equally applicable to buying an LGT rather than a "B".

Cheers, Albatross.

Archived