LegacyGT.com

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra $$$

Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????  

345 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Spec B Worth The Extra Money????

• Yes
    • No

Personally the only thing holding me back from wanting a spec.B is the color choice. I like the Diamond Gray, but I've always wanted a white Legacy. As for the price difference, I don't think it is a good value compared to the regular LGT, but if they had it in white I would definitely try to get it.
-ben

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And for Vinny101...........I'm putting my car back on the dyno this weekend to see what I have now with the Cobb Stage 1 reflash. Dyno chart soon to come...

Cool. Should be interesting to see the numbers. Are we still in summer gas in these parts?

No hate here. I love the Spec B. Nav, seats and suspension alone. I just don't know why Subaru gave the US Spec B 7" wide wheels. 18 x 8 wheels FTW.

SOA always has good intentions then they seem to drop the ball.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Personally the only thing holding me back from wanting a spec.B is the color choice. I like the Diamond Gray, but I've always wanted a white Legacy. As for the price difference, I don't think it is a good value compared to the regular LGT, but if they had it in white I would definitely try to get it.
Yeah I hear you there, I want everything in the '07 Spec B, but in white, but I caved because the DGM color is choice #2

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I started researching the GT and SB choices about the time the 07 came out.

I had hopes that my wife would be on board with a GT when her FXT lease expired. Of course the SB option piqued my interest and so I started investigating it heavily. I needed to convince myself and my wife that it was worth the extra coin and I decided to price out what it would cost to SB a GT.

Here's what I came up with:

Pedals $95.00 (MastroWRX.com)

Bilstein Shocks $512.00 (TireRack.com)

Sti 6 Speed Tranny (I can't remember where I located a used one for but it was $2500 plus the clutch and misc parts. A member on this board (Hammer Down) did a conversion with the DCCD for right at 6K, anyway 2500 is very conservative for this.)

Navigation system $1721.00 (invoice)

Memory Seats $???

Limited Slip Torsen Diff = approx $1000.00

18 wheels approx 1,000.00

RE050A tires (4) $712.00 Tirerack

aluminum suspension components $200???

Alacantara inserts- $ ???

VDC (defeatable if desired) $???

Total of dollar figures above = $7740.00

Now consider what labor might cost if you had someone do some/any/all of the work for you and the extra $$ for the parts I couldn't get an estimate on.

Now the 4-5K difference between the GT and SB seems like a pretty good bargain doesn't it?

Well it seemed like a bargain to me and the figures convinced the wife so we got the 08 model.

We couldn't be happier and we eagerly await the AccessPort arrival for it!

The commumity really doesn't know why the Spec.B has more oomph but dynos indicate 15lbs of intial boost compared to the LGT's 13.5.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I guess I should also talk about what I would be doing with the car. I wont be racing and I doubt I would utilize the upgraded suspension. Also, I will not use the nav system. What I really like is the alcantra seats.

Other then that, I can live without the rest. I guess I am leaning towards the gt. If they could take out the nav in the car and take it out of price then I might consider it. however, this wont happen.

you should make the poll answers.......

yes, and i have a spec B

yes, i dont have a spec B,

No i have a spec B,

no i dont have a spec B

This would be interesting to know.

BTW, if we'd had the option of say trading the nav for some Brembos when purchasing (or a better exhaust system or basically any HI-PO part(s) we would have done so. The Nav is cool but I live in Omaha Ne-freaking-braska so getting really lost is kinda hard to do and I don't take that many trips a year. I used to print out Mapquest trip routes and they worked just fine travelling across the country. The novelty has worn off and we leave the "gauges" screen up most of the time. Each time I see what the gauges really are gauging, I curse SOA a little bit that I couldn't buy a boost gauge when we bought the car!

Even without the Nav system cost in my GT to SB pricing a few posts back, the spec.B package is still cheaper than going at it the aftermarket route. That's not to say that the aftermarket route wouldn't be more fun in some respects or that specifically picking the brand of my parts for transforming a GT isn't something to consider, but for someone who isn't going to track the car for awhile (or maybe ever), the SB package is a financially smarter (READ: cheaper) route than doing the SB kit car method to SB a GT.

Of course your payments will naturally go up due to the increased cost of the SB package so it really comes down to how do you want to pay for your parts?

There are pros and cons to either method of expericing the GT Legacy in a modified form, but as you can guess I voted "yes" in the poll.:p

Guest Gitster

:rolleyes:

Well we all know the answer to that anyways, who ever voted yes is obviously a SpecB owner. No self respecting GT owner would vote yes.

I like mine. If you drive it and like it, buy it, it dosnt really matter what anyone else thinks, they arent making you car payment for you. I just liked the whole package on the 06, brick red seats, nav, the color of the car, the wheels, and it handles great! The tires grip very well for only being 215's. She just looked so pretty on the showroom floor! I told the wife it followed me home and that we should keep it!:lol:

The '07 Spec B was everything I wanted in a new car. Let's face it, any trim and suspension package is worth it only if you enjoy it and you can afford it. Don't act like such a damn politician -- make up your own mind and vote with your wallet like most of us have. :rolleyes:

Guest Gitster

The poll speaks for itself, but in truth there are a hell of a lot more GT owners on this board than SpecB owners.

All I know is my favorite, fastest Legacys on this board are GT's not SpecB's. Not to say they don't have the same potential, which is obvious, but it is true.

I would get a price quote for both from the dealer. around here you can get a GT limited for around 26. because of limited numbers the spec b continues to sell around 31.

As far as handling goes it takes very little to make the GT handle better than a spec B. max performance tires of your choice, Bilstien HD struts and STi Pink springs will make the GT handle as well, if not better, than a spec B. The spec b shocks are on the soft side and the heavy wheel/tire combo kills most of the benefit from the aluminum control arms.

If I get coilovers, my car handles equally well as a spec b. I don't want the crappy subaru nav. I like the '07 and '08 seats. I like the wheels, but I would definitely swap them out sooner or later. I will mod my car, so a more aggressive tune isn't important one bit. I do like the 6 mt, if it's not taller though, that sucks, but it would still be good to have it. I got a great price on my '08, I'm satisfied.

they didn't make the specB when I bought my GT. and if they had it wouldn't have been worth the extra money to me.

the whole debate between the 2 is stupid, and the folks on this forum that live to debate it are jackasses IMO.

Archived