LegacyGT.com

Rotrex power for 3.0R

I may actually do something like this for my next badweather project car. :)

A few Qs:

1.Do you think you have maxed out the engine and mods (what you have)?

2.Can boost go up any more safely?

3.Have you thought of dropping in forged pistons?

4. Have you thought of custom fabbing a GT30 to the 3.6L I have a feeling that it would be a monster if you did that ;) I know its even more custom and more $$$$$ though.

5. what gas are you tuned on?

6. Have you been to the track to test your latest setup or have any estimates on 1/4 mile, 0-60, and trap speed? Edit: I see you did 1/4 in 12.1 at 113, do you have a video of the run?

7. Have you weighed your car? Edit: Saw it was about 3500 lbs

8. If you could setup the car again how much would you estimate it costing knowing what you know now?

Beautiful car btw!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few Qs:

1.Do you think you have maxed out the engine and mods (what you have)? :confused: :confused::confused:

2.Can boost go up any more safely? With stock engine... No! I think max is 0.7bar for reasonable timing shart., If you use higher boost you have to drop the timing too much because the knockin line comes too risky and that blows the engine.

3.Have you thought of dropping in forged pistons? No, this is just my daily use street car, so I like to go with just stock engine...

4. Have you thought of custom fabbing a GT30 to the 3.6L I have a feeling that it would be a monster if you did that ;) I know its even more custom and more $$$$$ though. Maybe for my next project ( Something like Ken Block gymkhana STi :rolleyes: )

5. what gas are you tuned on? I Use E98 I do not know how it compare for US gas???

6. Have you been to the track to test your latest setup or have any estimates on 1/4 mile, 0-60, and trap speed? Edit: I see you did 1/4 in 12.1 at 113, do you have a video of the run?

I think high 11s could be possible or 12.0 ? 12.1 run is in YouTube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgUHyeeSJyE]YouTube- Rotrex C38/81 12.19s/114mph[/ame]

7. Have you weighed your car? Edit: Saw it was about 3500 lbs Yes I have, after "weight drop" mods car weight just less than 3400 lbs

8. If you could setup the car again how much would you estimate it costing knowing what you know now? Hmmm...all mods Maybe 9000-11000usd + Car

A

I think high 11s could be possible or 12.0 ? 12.1 run is in YouTube

YouTube- Rotrex C38/81 12.19s/114mph

7. Have you weighed your car? Edit: Saw it was about 3500 lbs Yes I have, after "weight drop" mods car weight just less than 3400 lbs

8. If you could setup the car again how much would you estimate it costing knowing what you know now? Hmmm...all mods Maybe 9000-11000usd + Car

Thanks for all of the Information!

$9,000 to 11,000 is pretty reasonable for all those parts (I assume that is for all of the parts on your car including drive train exterior etc). I am assuming that does not include labor?

I am more concerned how much the power mods cost and there associated labor costs.

My next project will be incorporating much of what you did on a slightly diferent drivetrain :)

Nice Stable!

Man you can hear steep 5th is LOL almost boggs the car (ive palyed that clip about 70 times)

Oh, man... Finaly I got the Koni Shocks rear now :lol: hopefully next summer launches goes much smoothly, I hate that jumping rear :D

Tomcat - start looking at how to convert the turbo 2.5l to rotex supercharged.. Id be 1st in line for supercharged 2.5 boxer as apposed to turbo.

and its weird cause the chevy cobalt ss supercharged guys want to convert to turbo for more power, where as awd supercharged like an audi S4 I think is the bomb!

Tomcat - start looking at how to convert the turbo 2.5l to rotex supercharged.. Id be 1st in line for supercharged 2.5 boxer as apposed to turbo.

and its weird cause the chevy cobalt ss supercharged guys want to convert to turbo for more power, where as awd supercharged like an audi S4 I think is the bomb!

Why convert when you can twin-charge? :)

twincharging has only been used in like 3 or 4 production cars ever....

one of them was the nissan march from japan, another was a Vw of some kind.. i think

VW, at least in the European market, uses a twincharged engine of 1.4 liters in 2 diferrent tunes. One produces around 140 hp and the other 170 hp. This engine is now available in nearly all their models.

Just like TOMCAT said, K.I.S.S!!!!

i want stock reliability, and drivability....

But you realize that your car's engine was designed from the ground up to be turbocharged, so it would make no sense to reverse engineer the system for a supercharger instead of a turbocharger.

Like I said if you wanted to Supercharge your 2.5L Turbo engine then that would be beneficial, because you would get the benefits of lag less sc setup at lower rpms, and you would get the top end of a turbocharged car.:wub:

Think about it.

VW' date=' at least in the European market, uses a twincharged engine of 1.4 liters in 2 diferrent tunes. One produces around 140 hp and the other 170 hp. This engine is now available in nearly all their models.[/quote']

Wow thats amazing, do you have more info on that, engine code etc???

But you realize that your car's engine was designed from the ground up to be turbocharged, so it would make no sense to reverse engineer the system for a supercharger instead of a turbocharger.

Like I said if you wanted to Supercharge your 2.5L Turbo engine then that would be beneficial, because you would get the benefits of lag less sc setup at lower rpms, and you would get the top end of a turbocharged car.:wub:

Think about it.

Forced induction is Forced induction, psi is psi. Yes it creates a slightly different power band but reverse engineering is not required.

There are some differences to be accounted for like back pressure in the exhaust, and way the ecu would provide fuel at lower rpm, but I think simply replacing one forced induction method for another would not cause to many issues. Its unlikely once properly configured for boost etc, that you would even need to seriously tune the car.

I don't build cars for a living, and barely do it as a hobby so this is all the "expertise" I'm gonna offer on this subject.

Yeah def wouldnt swap a TC for a SC on a engine made to be TC'd. I mean yes you have much more room on a EJ255 than a EZ36D but the internal configs of the EJ255 is better suited to TC and the same but suite for SC goes for the EZ36D N/A engines by design are better suited for SC-ing. Either way I would love to have either method of FI.

But once i get a LGT and an older model WRX 04/05 im done

EZ36R with single turbo is the best option what comes to power and torque, maybe not the easiest way but defenately strong option.

If Stock EZ36R can hold easily 0.7bar boost with Rotrex it defenately hold low turbo boost too... With same boost turbo deliver much more power than beltdrive supercharger. Only problem is the boost chart. peak boost at low rpm blow the engine easily with stock internals.

Example stock EZ36R Turbo ( max boost 0.5bar ) gona be brutal option...:rolleyes:

Hi All, I am new to the forum.. I saw this post a while back whilst investigating ez30 upgrades. After playing around with tuning and suspension mods for a while I have finally taken the plunge of fitting up a twin turbo setup on my Liberty.

It will be finished off in around 2-3 weeks. Power?? somewhere between 330-400kw at crank.. Torque?? somewhere between 600-800nm at crank.

Basics are:

stock ez30 internals

twin garrett t25 hybrid turbos

600x230x75 ebay intercooler

sti pink injectors

walbro fuel pump

Internal BOV

Lots other bits and pieces

I wont rattle off too much until its finished.

Cheers Mark

Wow thats amazing, do you have more info on that, engine code etc???

parts code prefix: 03C, ID codes: BLG, BMY, CAXC, TSI

applications: 2005 VW Golf Mk5 , 2006 VW Touran, 2008 Audi A3, 2008 VW Scirocco, 2007 Seat Leon, 2008 Skoda Octavia, 2009 VW Tiguan, 2009 VW Golf Mk6

0-60mph is around 8 seconds on the 170hp Golf model, torque is around 177lb/ft

All of the above are applicable to the EDM models, i am not sure if the rest of the world gets it. :)

Hi All, I am new to the forum.. I saw this post a while back whilst investigating ez30 upgrades. After playing around with tuning and suspension mods for a while I have finally taken the plunge of fitting up a twin turbo setup on my Liberty.

It will be finished off in around 2-3 weeks. Power?? somewhere between 330-400kw at crank.. Torque?? somewhere between 600-800nm at crank.

Basics are:

stock ez30 internals

twin garrett t25 hybrid turbos

600x230x75 ebay intercooler

sti pink injectors

walbro fuel pump

Internal BOV

Lots other bits and pieces

I wont rattle off too much until its finished.

Cheers Mark

Oh snap!! It would be great if you started a new thread with pics of the build and more details.

BTW, I though Aussie smog laws were quite strict. How do you manage with the smog stuff down under?

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Archived