LegacyGT.com

Mobil 1 Good or Bad???

Well I switched to M1 at 8500 and I drive my car very hard...3 autox's in 5 weeks. No consumption issues here. I'll change it every 5K. I plan on adding an accusump and a real oil cooler for trackday protection. With about 8L of oil in it at that point I'll be going to 7500 miles a change with a new filter every 4k or so.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have put in mobil 1 5w-30 since the car had 10k on it, I'm at 36k now. Never had any noticeable oil consumption between changes, but I change every 3k religously. Gonna stick with it, and keep monitoring my oil every time I fill up.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe, but what is the purpose ?

The car won't run any better, won't be more reliable, won't be faster, won't be..........well anything really.

It's funny but from what I know, Phil would be correct. I have a good friend who has worked the last 15 years in R&D Honda, Toyota, & Subaru....now back at Honda. This guy has wrenched for some of the race teams in the past and just flat out knows his stuff when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels. He has always said that even if you beat on your motor all day every day, you just need to use a good dino oil and change it regularly. Synthetic oils are better for long change intervals and it certainly doesn't hurt to use them in your daily driver...just be aware that you are probably pouring money down the drain. He also says that "if your subi doesn't burn a little oil somethin ain't right".

That said, I use Pennzoil Platinum in my 2.5i. Why?...I am a sucker and it makes me feel better when I go for long change intervals or when I drive my car hard. 29K miles in one year, that's my other excuse for using synthetic but mostly, I am a sucker.

What is interesting however, marine motor repair shops and dealer are pushing synthetic oils. I know a couple of AK fishermen at are using Amsoil in their boat motors because everyone is using it they say. I guess when you run your motor at 4-5K consistently, synthetic is not a bad idea. I was kinda shocked because Amsoil is not cheap and these guys don't spend money on the unnecessary.

I use mobile1 in the wifes minivan because it makes me feel better about those cold morning starts and long intervals.

Hey... some people buy into the hype...... some don't. As bendite said in post #130.... synthetic has it's pluses (longer OCI's) ... but IMHO, quite a bit of the rest is marketing and hype. It's you're money... if you want to spend it on synthetic... go rigth ahead.

I hate the penzoil synthetic comercials.

One comericial it says that pressure is the enemy of engines... so our oil combines to reduce shock and wear.

10 minutes later... you'll see another commercial for the SAME synthetic oil.... saying that temperature is the enemy of engines.... so our oil separates to help dissipate heat.

WTF?!?!? It is homogeneous. It cannot combine nor separate. It is all hype to get the consumer to dole out more $$ to have their oil do "special" things. :rolleyes:

I don't buy the hype and I've got no reason to switch away from Valvoline dino. It's always done well for me. I've always run it in all my performance cars and haven't ever had a engine failure.

Hey... some people buy into the hype...... some don't. As bendite said in post #130.... synthetic has it's pluses (longer OCI's) ... but the rest is hype.

I wouldn't say it's all hype, just unnecessary in most cases. For me, the only benefits are longer OCI and cold morning starts. While I feel better about using PP when I am driving over the pass, I am wishing I was that hard on my motor. I think for most people (LGT owners included) who change their oil every 3-5K, a good dino oil is going to protect your motor as well as synthetic being changed at 3-5K. I am going 7-8K with PP and I feel a little better about it for some reason. Synthetic is not hype, don't get me wrong.

I see that supertech synthetic at wallmart for $10 for 5qts but that must be total crap for that price

Oh, my cars are over cared for. PP, WIX Oil filter, Redline in the tranny and rear dif.

From what I understand, cheveron dino is some of the best you can buy. On sale as cheap and $.97 all the time. I use it in our older Legacy wagons and it seems to be fine. BITOG regulars rave about cheveron dino oil.

I didn't say it wasn't "better". I said it has its pluses.... cold start, extreme cold weather viscosity, and extended OCI's.

My point is that for a daily driver... it isn't a necessity. It is overkill for 99% of drivers. If you track your car... then sure... Synthetic is probably worth it. For me.... it just isn't.

From your link...

Note, too, that most auto manufacturers do not specify synthetics, so unless you're one of the few who need synthetic oil, rest assured that you're doing no harm with good old-fashioned crude as long as you follow the owner's manual recommendations on viscosity and grade.

When people on here jump all over non-synthetic users as being "negligent" with their cars.... that is just unfounded.

you dino non-believers really need to read the facts synthetic oil is better. bosco

http://www.automedia.com/Synthetic_or_Conventional_Oil/ccr20050201so/2

FRAM is the main sponsor of that site:lol:

While it's true that synthetics hold up under heavy load better than dyno, unless you are on the track, nobody puts that type of consistent load on their motor driving down the highway or around town. Like I said in my previous post, I wish I was that hard on my motor but I am not. Most Japanese motors are designed to run nonstop at 5K RPM for 250K+ miles on dino oil. I don't know anyone who can keep their car above 4500RPM around town....nor do many people who do that on the highway. If you drive like this, you can honestly say "I think my car benefits from the Synthetic oil I put in it". I will always use a synthetic in my car because it's always below 30 degrees in the winter and sometimes it's down in the single digits...that's my feel good motive. I am not going to argue, I am a lowly 2.5i owner who uses Synthetic oil...any LGT owner has a much better reason than I due to the turbo alone. I just find the chronic discussion pretty amusing and the exotic oils that people swear by even more amusing.

When people on here jump all over non-synthetic users as being "negligent" with their cars.... that is just unfounded.

i never said dino users were negligent cheap maybe not negligent. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

We have two Honda Accord V6's with about 50K miles. One has used Mobil One since new: the other, dino oil. We change the oil and filter every 7500 as recommended by the manufacturer. We'll keep driving them until we see a difference.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Using non-synthetic oil PROVES that you do not CARE enough about your Legacy GT to own it and it should be taken away from you and given to someone who truly KNOWS, CARES AND UNDERSTANDS :lol:

This thread delivers!

i'll take it. :lol: btw the General recommends synthetic oil in the LS engines so i'll take the Bimmer also. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

My point is that for a daily driver... it isn't a necessity.

I bet this is the same line the guys with sludged VW 1.8T engine used.

If engine was designed with particular oil in mind then marketing/service must list it in user's guide (VW original fault with sludge problem) and users must follow the guide.

Subaru seems to have no love for synthetic in US. We shall see how it goes. Turbos are much harder on oil as temperature is higher than NA engines.

Krzys

Archived