LegacyGT.com

Mobil 1 Good or Bad???

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M1 FTW! :lol:

Just put any dino conv oil of the proper viscosity and change every 3000mi and forget about it. Unless you want to do a UOA and test different oils on your own car, you are not going to find THE BEST. Oil recipes change as quickly as a minute man gets off. so when you find the best, you will have to start looking again.

As long as the oil is still clean when it comes out, and there is no major consumption you are going to be ok.

One of the following is good - Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Havoline.

Also Castrol GTX is good if you change it every 3k.

Also Shaefer 7000 synthetic blend is very good http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme_7000.html

By the way, you thought "Mobil 1 good or bad?" was a loaded question, this question of which is the best dino blows that one away lol :D :D

80% city driving with 12k OCI... so once every 1.5 years you change the oil

No, we have 35k on the car right now, the one time i let it go to 12k was for a road trip up to tahoe and back and around a few different places..it racks up way quicker than 1.5 years for us.

For many, it's peace of mind. For others, it's fact or myth. http://www.trustmymechanic.com/change_oil.html

I go about half way in between for the best of both worlds. Flame me now :)

Jonathan

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motor-oil-bible.pdf

Check out this long article/book regarding lubricants. Check the scores of the different motor oils in the appendix.

For an example,

Highest ranking (5w30):

Amsoil XL7500............score: 765

---

Castrol Syntec..........score: 696

Mobil 1 SuperSyn ............score: 684

---

These figures can be looked upon however you want it to be, so take this as just some support for whatever I've claimed.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

One of the following is good - Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Havoline.

Also Castrol GTX is good if you change it every 3k.

Also Shaefer 7000 synthetic blend is very good http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme_7000.html

By the way, you thought "Mobil 1 good or bad?" was a loaded question, this question of which is the best dino blows that one away lol :D :D

Definitely a loaded question!

Another example of a 'good' dino is Chevron, for the following reasons:

1) Uses same base oil as Havoline - as good as any other dino base oil, there are other dinos that source their base oil from Chevron

2) Cheap - you're not paying for all that marketing telling you how great a given oil is, in my area it can be had on sale (after rebate) for $1/quart at times, though lately it's only been $1 or so less/quart that Penzoil, Castrol, etc.

3) Solid additive package - check the VOA's at bobistheoilguy.com

4) Puts up among the best (lowest wear) UOA's at bobistheoilguy.com

Now, I don't know if it's the 'best' oil or not, or even what that means, but I'd say it's good enough to get several hundred k miles out of my engine when changed at the appointed interval. I go through about 1/2 quart every 4k, which is a far cry better than the 1.5 qts/4k I was going through when I used M1.

This is a never ending quest of which oil is better than the other.

Bottom line,

- Use the proper weight that's recommended.

- Conv. oil change every 3,000 miles, Syn. oil change up to 7,500 miles depending on brand.

- Check oil levels regular, which is recommended in every auto manual. Oil levels is determine on several factors, one of them is mostly driving habits. The harder you drive the car, the higher the chances of burning oil.

If you find one oil that's better than the other, then you should stick with that oil. I usually switch between Castrol syn and M1 depending if one or the other is on sale.

My wife's balls are delicious.

This is a never ending quest of which oil is better than the other.

Bottom line,

- Use the proper weight that's recommended.

- Conv. oil change every 3,000 miles, Syn. oil change up to 7,500 miles depending on brand.

- Check oil levels regular, which is recommended in every auto manual. Oil levels is determine on several factors, one of them is mostly driving habits. The harder you drive the car, the higher the chances of burning oil.

If you find one oil that's better than the other, then you should stick with that oil. I usually switch between Castrol syn and M1 depending if one or the other is on sale.

Well said, I think that was my thinking all along. Just wanted someone else to phrase is correctly for me....+1 :lol:

I always saw putting quality fluids in your car as likened to taking vitamins for the body. There is hardly any tangable difference immidiately, but down the line I expect (or hope) to have better life expectancy and quality from my car.

I guess the argument here is how do you define quality?? Personaly I stay with synthetic, and M1 is has the best reputation of the synthetics. I am using the M1 EP right now.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I always saw putting quality fluids in your car as likened to taking vitamins for the body.

And there in lies the problem. Putting oil in your car is NOT like putting vitamins in your body. Your body consumes vitamins, it doesn't wear it down and spit it out. If you want a good analogy oil is more like putting on underwear for protection and wearing it nonstop until it gets really funky lol :D At that point does it really matter if it was cotton undies from Walmart or silky ones from Dolce&Gabanna? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. The only way to find out is to take it apart stitch by stitch to see which one faired the best.

Bottom line is get an oil analysis every now and then so you can actually "see" what the oil is doing inside your engine. Then and only then can you say Mobil 1 EP straight out beats the crap out of that 99c Havoline in my car.

There is hardly any tangable difference immidiately, but down the line I expect (or hope) to have better life expectancy and quality from my car.

If you plan on keeping the car 10 or 15 years then I believe you have a good point.

But like most who change their oil at 3,000 miles even with synthetic, and keep the car 5 years or less, then it's money down the drain.

How many stories have you heard that someone's car failed due to wrong oil? Probably not to many, the most common stories would be engine seizing, which is due to lack of oil or no oil. That's why we check our oil levels regular. As long as you follow the steps recommend by the manufactures, you shouldn't have any problems.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Somewhat off topic, but since I started this thread. I have a question....If you do blow an engine, how do you prove you have changed your oil on time, etc. if you do your oil changes yourself?
Take a picture of that big pool of oil on your garage floor.:lol:

Has anyone seen the new Mobil 1 commercial? It shows them taking Range Rovers?? or something in a convoy around the planet and they say they've gone some crazy number maybe like 100,000 miles on one oil change and all is good. I'm not sure of the numbers cause I only saw it once late at night, but I just thought WTF is this for real. Anyone else seen this one?
Let's kick this pig!

Archived