LegacyGT.com

Mobil 1 Good or Bad???

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html had run an interesting test on oil life. The "Past Results" section is where you'll find links for the M1 and Amsoil long-term tests. Bottom line was that both seemed to VERY long based on UOAs. You can take from this what you wish.

Personally, I use M1 5w30, have no leaks/burning, and have been running it for about 15k miles (only 20k on the car now).

Back when I did a ton of research on the matter, I found that I didn't like Castol's claim on "synthetic" since they were are Group III hydrocracked oil, versus the PAO based formulation of M1 and others. Leave it to the lawyers to screw up the differetiation between these! So, it's kinda left a bad taste for me, since I dislike "marketing" when all I want is the facts. Besides that, I had found that syntec also had much higher ash content than other oils (even conventionals). Ash can lead to sludging, which is why it's good to avoid it. Now, maybe they have changed their formula to resolve this issue. But, that's why I don't care for Castrol Syntec, and wouldn't use it myself.

I've been using M1 in all my vehicles since I started changing oil myself. My last car lasted 163k miles (1993 Mazda MX6 V6) and continues to run for the new owner. When I started using it, it actually REDUCED oil consumption on that motor - the valve cover gaskets are known leak points on that motor, and yet it never went bad enough to replace (others had replaced them every 30-60k - I never had to). Consumption on conventional oil was about 1qt/3k miles... and became about half that with M1. M1 also silenced the clatter in the hydraulic valve adjusters within 150 miles of using it. So, I trust M1... and will continue to use it for now, at least.

That's my take on the matter...

my consumption with m1 is terrible i probably add a quart every 1000 miles. Also the dipstick is a POS in this car i never can get consistent reads on it, i check it when its cold its not on the stick, i fill it up... its way passed the full line. I check it when the engine was just turned off... little bit of oil on the bottom of dipstick, i fill up 1/8 quart and its way over the full mark lol.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

I've noticed this too. After all the stink about people loosing oil; I decided to start checking mine all the time and have found that it's real hard to get the same reading twice. It appears to me that the stick goes into the pan a little sideways and the top of the line is either slanted or higher on one side of the stick than the other. Also, I have seen it just below the top hole or Full (not the notch) and added about an 1/8th quart to find that it went way up over the notch. This is irritating to say the least. On any other car I've ever had; this would be at least 1/2 quart or more.
Let's kick this pig!

I'm going to miss 3 oil changes reading through all the "which oil threads" :lol:

Oh... so what should I pick up? Castrol Syntec (not the fancy German one, not available here) M1, PP, RP or Redline?

I use a quart of each that way I get the benefits of them all.

It is still ugly.

I top off the Valvoline 5w30 conventional oil change the dealer does with an 1/8th quart of Castrol Syntec 5w30 when I'm near the 3K mark and need to add oil.

Any reason for not using the same oil to top off? If you know they are using Valvoline, why not top off with Valvoline?

Mobil 1. No problems. Change every 3000 miles. 268whp 282wtq. 5-30 winter, 10-30 summer. I've run Mobil 1 in Ducati's, Moto Guzzi's. I mean RUN! HARD! It won't hurt a Subaru even with 400whp.

Any reason for not using the same oil to top off? If you know they are using Valvoline, why not top off with Valvoline?

Because I have a couple quarts of it laying around the garage and need to use it up. It's only in there for a weeks or two before it gets changed (every 3K)anyways so why not.

Let's kick this pig!

Well, after about 12k using Mobil 1 with no additional oil needed between oil changes, I switched to Penzoil Platinum this time on a whim. I've noticed the M1 will go from nearly the full mark to about halfway between full and low marks per oil change....I wonder if the PP will do any different.

Either way, I'll probably end up sticking with M1 because Sam's Club carries it and it's served me very well for 3 cars so far.....including my LGT

i've heard ferarri's use a new synthetic quaker state. M1 has always treated me well. BMW used to spec a special castrol brand full synthetic for their M5's.

do synthetics resist coking in turbos better than dinos?

I'm also under the impression that synthetics allow more crap to be picked up between the molecules...

Vote for PP on my poll in the Maintenance thread.

if you want people to vote on your thread why don't you post it here so we don't have to try and find it. :rolleyes: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

thank you. i voted so can i close this thread it's going to go on until the end of time. what is best is to subjective. bosco

True, but if you close it, how will all the people from this thread know to post on my poll? You're killing me :lol:

Archived