LegacyGT.com

Mobil 1 Good or Bad???

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. If you are not using Mobil 1, what are you using? Valvoline 5w30 conventional.

OCI: 3000ish since new, never had to add any between changes.

This week was the first time I've ever seen the level below the top hole on the dipstick(2850 miles on this oil change). This was after about 10 runs down the 1/8th mile dragstrip.

Let's kick this pig!

Somewhat off topic, but since I started this thread. I have a question....If you do blow an engine, how do you prove you have changed your oil on time, etc. if you do your oil changes yourself?

Keep your receipts, write dates/mileage in alog book or the maint. chart in the back of the owners manual and/or log your maint. at www.mysubaru.com on the day you do it.

Let's kick this pig!

I was reading another thread where a member had some engine problems and was working with SOA to resolve the problem. I am including a quote from the thread

Well, after weeks of fighting w/ Subaru they finally offered me some help. Not nearly enough in my opinion. I went ahead with the engine replacement, but will be selling the car. I think I'm done with Subarus.

I talked to the service manager on the way out and he said NEVER to use Mobil 1 on these cars. Also, that Subaru will be putting out a bulletin saying this. I thanked him for telling me before this happened. Apparently, Subaru is also finding out the hard way that these cars eat Mobil 1.

Anyone have an s2000 they wanna trade for an LGT w/ a new engine? hahah.

link to full thread - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59987&page=4

Nemo me impune lacessit

I've heard the warnings, but it's never been explained why? Porsche runs a boxer engine and reccomends M1, so it's not the boxer difference.

I may try my Dealership and see if they ever recieved this bulletin.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I always felt like it would pay off in the long run....as it may prevent damage that the larger molecules in non-syn oil cannot protect against. Nearing the end of an OFI the syn is still holding up whereas the non-syn may be breaking down depending on the driving conditions of that paticular time period.

~My total novice opinion.

Phil - what are you going to do when you are standing around the parking lot at the meet and people are talking about what type of synthetic oil they use?

As you know the more obscure and harder to find the oil the more they care about their car; that's the real reason not to use Mobil 1 - it is to easy to find ;)

mobil 1 in my car right now

ive had no problems, but ive also run castrol full synth and amsoil in a few of my past oil changes and they had no problems either

bottom line is, if you know your car is consuming some oil, just check it every once in a while...it takes 2 minutes to do!

i check mine once a week, but the leggy only gets driven once a week...lol

So your friend put M1 in an engine which was known to drink oil. Then thought he had magic oil, didn't check the level, and drove around with an empty sump. And when the main bearing seized..it musta been "the magic oils" fault.....

Actually my boss... and I urged him to go out for a track day. :confused:

To him, it doesn't follow the forums enough to know its common for suby's to drink it. However he probably thought it was magic from the marketing.

If your kid has diabetes, do you monitor their insulin levels?

If you know your car burns oil, do you check your fluids?

Either way, people need to be responsible for their responsibilities and not blame something else. I see no reason to instill fear in people about M1 until someone can come up with some proof. How about a link to the SOA service bulletin that says not to use M1?

Personal experience:

Since the first oil change on the LGT I've used Pennzoil Platinum with no more than 1/4 quart loss between 4-5K mile changes. An oil change done by a shop was with Mobil 1 and it used near a full quart in just over 1K miles and another 3/4 quart in the next 2K, so yeah I started to pull the dip stick more frequently than I had been. Pennzoil went back in with the latest drain and fill so we'll see what happens to oil consumption.

I hate Mobil 1 ... It tried to have sex with my mom. Not cool at all.

On a side note ... I've been running Mobil 1 since about 7,000 miles in my GT.

Dad runs Mobil 1 in his '87 911 Carrera ... It sucks a quart every 500 miles. I don't think it's the oil.

I'll use about 1/2-3/4 of M1 5W-30 between 3750-4000mi intervals using the Mobil1 filter. This is still well within industry specification of normal oil consumption. My look at the "problem" seems to tell me that the subaru boxers have looser internal tolerances than other motors which will allow more oil to get past the rings, especially since M1 has shown to be on the lighter side of 5W-30. So until somebody can come up with some definitive proof that a engine full of M1 will suddenly consume >1qt of oil without some other underlying problem, I'll stil with M1.

Moral of the story, just check your dipstick, and if you drop below the low hole, but there is still oil on the dipstick. You're only about a half quart low (verification on this? its just my observation)

Phil - what are you going to do when you are standing around the parking lot at the meet and people are talking about what type of synthetic oil they use?

As you know the more obscure and harder to find the oil the more they care about their car; that's the real reason not to use Mobil 1 - it is to easy to find ;)

So do I care most about my car?

http://www.archeroil.com/productslist.asp?type=Gasoline%20Engine%20Oils

It is still ugly.

Which is best, German synthetic or JDM ?

Archived