LegacyGT.com

Mobil 1 Good or Bad???

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Friend of mine blew his stock motor using only M1. No mods power mods. Note completely stock WRX other than rims/tires. Had excessive consumption before that. Motor was replaced under warranty. Many have reported consumption problems with this.

So your friend put M1 in an engine which was known to drink oil. Then thought he had magic oil, didn't check the level, and drove around with an empty sump. And when the main bearing seized..it musta been "the magic oils" fault.....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So your friend put M1 in an engine which was known to drink oil. Then thought he had magic oil, didn't check the level, and drove around with an empty sump. And when the main bearing seized..it musta been "the magic oils" fault.....

LOL My thoughts exactly!

3000 miles on the road and I barely use 1/2 quart of M1

4 hours on the dyno and I went through 3/4 quart. Oil consumption with these engines seems to be about how much time you spend at WOT more than which oil you use.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

3000 miles on the road and I barely use 1/2 quart of M1

4 hours on the dyno and I went through 3/4 quart. Oil consumption with these engines seems to be about how much time you spend at WOT more than which oil you use.

Forgive my ignorance, but when you say WOT, what are you referring to? I am too lazy to look it up at http://www.urbandictionary.com

7k on my car w/ Mobil 1 & vno real problems. I just went to the M1 EP to see if that helps consumption (about 1/2 qt between 3k oil changes) but I may try German Castrol if I can find it locally for the next oil change.

I also am thinking about BP's new oil additive. I love their fuel additive.

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I have to do a bit more research before I answer that question. I just found out about it this weekend.

and you already love the fuel additive? must be good stuff. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

i used mobil 1 15w-50 in my wrx and loved it. my friend used mobil 1 10w-40 on his wrx and put 160,00 miles on it b4 getting an sti and still uses 10w-40. btw 15w-50 is for forced induction cars. i never burned a drop of oil with the 15w-50

and you already love the fuel additive? must be good stuff. :) bosco

Sorry, I wasn't clear... I just found out they make an oil additive and need to research that. I have been using their fuel additive for years. It is just a fuel system cleaner, cleaning up deposits, injectors, etc... Anytime I am having fuel system issues I try that stuff first, and so far it clears up the problem 90% of the time. I have only used it once on the LGT, when i first got it, so I would be confident that the fuel system was clean and that it would only be run on premium from then on. I think the guy I bought it from may have used lesser fuel from time to time. Use it on older cars onad you'll be amazed! My wife's Mitsu lancer, with 70k miles gets it about once a quarter, and everytime we use it she can feel the pep come back into her 120 HP beast :lol: It's also excellent if you ever get a bad batch of fuel!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

That is why I only use Shell V-power, it has cleaning additives already added in. Chevron is has their own in techron, but I find I get better mileage from Shell. In fact, all fuel comes from the same few refineries and the additives are the only difference in major brand gasoline. As I understand, M1 synthetic also prevents sludging. With additives already in the fuel and oil, I don't see why you would need to use either.

That is why I only use Shell V-power, it has cleaning additives already added in. Chevron is has their own in techron, but I find I get better mileage from Shell. In fact, all fuel comes from the same few refineries and the additives are the only difference in major brand gasoline. As I understand, M1 synthetic also prevents sludging. With additives already in the fuel and oil, I don't see why you would need to use either.

If you change your oil at the recommended intervals, then synthetic oil has no clear advantage either.

If you were going to extended the OCI, then yes, switch to Synth.

Switched to M1 5w-30 full synthetic on the third or fourth oil change; got the car brand new. So far, feels smooth all the way up the revs. No problems to date, although...there seems to be a slight timing belt issue (rpm's dip wayyy low when quickly decelerating to a stop), but i doubt it's b/c of the oil.

I've extended my OCI to ~12,000 miles now, which is way under the max life of the oil, but as others have mentioned, it all depends on your engine and your driving. Mine is 80% city driving.

mobil 1 for the first 2 oil changes, then switched to amsoil 5w-30 every 4500 miles,no problems with mobil 1 ,it is good oil just keep an eye on the dipstick,i used about 1/2 qt after 3000 miles with m1,now at .35,000 miles and never use a drop of oil.:)

Switched to M1 5w-30 full synthetic on the third or fourth oil change; got the car brand new. So far, feels smooth all the way up the revs. No problems to date, although...there seems to be a slight timing belt issue (rpm's dip wayyy low when quickly decelerating to a stop), but i doubt it's b/c of the oil.

I've extended my OCI to ~12,000 miles now, which is way under the max life of the oil, but as others have mentioned, it all depends on your engine and your driving. Mine is 80% city driving.

12,000 miles OCI with 80% city driving? You might want to think about changing a little more frequently.

I don't have a Leggy yet but I can comment on my M1 (5W30) experience with my present and past Subies. I normally change the oil/filter every 3,500 miles. I use factory Subie oil filters. I switched over to M1 oil right after the 1k break in period in each car I'll mention:

02 WRX used between 1/2 to 1 qt about 2,500 miles after each oil change.

I had the car until 26K miles and traded to the STi.

04 Forester 2.5XT uses almost the same amount as the WRX did. I tried German Castrol twice with the same results. Car has 42K on it and we still have this one and I'm still using and topping off M1 in it.

05 STi used about the same M1 as the other two. About 7K miles ago for giggles I switched to 5w30 Royal Purple. I have noticed zero usage the last two oil changes. Royal Purple is a royal pain in the wallet though so I might try another brand out.

After the Cadillac Seville STS, that is ;)

Good call this is true.

That's why Caddys outhandle Ferraris :lol:

No...but C6 Z06's do:icon_twis

But honestly, to stay on topic, shouldn't any oil grade/certification (including Mobil 1) specified in the owner's manual "work." At least if something takes a dump, it's one less finger SOA can point at you. I also agree that somebody needs to prove that mobil 1 was the cause of the failures. BTW does anybody know how much these cars blowby at full boost/speed?

Archived