LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I have read EVERY page of this thread. Very informative and good points both ways. My takeaway is "Subaru put it there for a reason" so I would argue to keep it. I don't like the argument "No other turbo has it" because using that logic we would all be driving cars with RWD and Drum brakes.... parts get changed and added for reasons, usually well supported and documented reasons.

Now my final question is.... What years have this dam filter?? It took 676 posts until porterdog posted it was deleted from '08 on IIRC... what exactly does that mean? Does my 2008 LGT (manufactured mid '07) have one??

Could the original sticky be updated to included the year range.

I really don't want to remove my intake and pipes to pull a bolt that doesn't have a filter....

• 2 weeks later...

Now my final question is.... What years have this dam filter?? It took 676 posts until porterdog posted it was deleted from '08 on IIRC... what exactly does that mean? Does my 2008 LGT (manufactured mid '07) have one??

Could the original sticky be updated to included the year range.

I really don't want to remove my intake and pipes to pull a bolt that doesn't have a filter....

2008 and 2007 definitely still have them, just did both today (Both were clean, 60k miles on each, synthetic oil at 3750 OCI).

B-BGTLimited posted the best directions for an 07/08. To add to his pics and make it clearer for the 07/08 years this is the area where you will find it:

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/blk94civ/4ab1bb25.jpg

It is right underneath the intake duct, Loosen the clamp on the turbo inlet and disconnect everything from the intake duct other then the PCV hose which is located on the top back. (It has a crimp clamp that wasn't easy to reach and there is enough slack in that hose that you can pull the duct out of the way with it still connected and still get to the banjo bolt)

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/blk94civ/a36fe878.jpg

Once you get that intake duct pulled partially out you can see the banjo bolt shown below. You can easily reach it from behind the intake manifold right in front of the turbo inlet with a long extension and universal joint.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab156/blk94civ/5599277d.jpg

Thanks for the update! I looked and looked and couldn't see the damn thing. After reading everyone's feedback, I've concluded I'm not going to worry about it until summer at least.

I bought the car new and have been rather diligent about maintaining <3750mi OCI. I may have hit 4k a couple times, but my oil is always clean when changing. And I have always stuck to oem filters. I'm at 72k right now, probably gonna hold off and do the 90k/timing belt at 100k, maybe I'll have them replace the Banjo at that time.....

Nonetheless I am keeping the filter.

If I ever do take it out, I'll report back with a couple pics and my findings.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced mine at the time I swapped out my blown VF40 to the VF46. My replacement at the time of the turbo swap is obvious, however, if I was debating whether or not to remove the filter screen insert I would just replace the bolt if I was concerned about blockage. It's only $11ish + shipping from most of the OEM parts web sites.

If your turbo goes you'll be thankful for that filter screen insert. I am.

If your turbo goes you'll be thankful for that filter screen insert. I am.

If the screen is on the feed side of the turbo oil line why would you be thankful for having the screen installed if your turbo goes? :confused:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I replaced mine at the time I swapped out my blown VF40 to the VF46. My replacement at the time of the turbo swap is obvious, however, if I was debating whether or not to remove the filter screen insert I would just replace the bolt if I was concerned about blockage.

Earlier in this thread you'll find a post by me saying that I believe a clean filter should be left in the bolt in conjunction with religious and short OCI. I have a new BNR 16g turbo on the way in about a week and Bryan requires removal of the screen as well as an upgrade to the oil line in order to maintain a warrantable condition on his turbos. Looks like my brand new bolt and screen will remain in the bag. I'm glad now that I didn't take the time to pull the banjo bolt as a project in itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently purchased an 05LGT with 88K from another board member. Good oil change records and no issues but this thread had scared me a little. Had some other work needed at dealer, so had them pull and replace this bolt. For $99 including the parts it was easier than the hassle of doing myself. Bottom line, there was some minor debris but nothing that would have caused any issues.

Called 2 dealers before I had this done, both claimed to have never had anyone request this be done and had never heard of this bolt and filter causing turbo failure. In fact, despite showing the dealer that performed the change the replacement a copy of 02-103-07, they still marked the paperwork that I had been warned of the risks of replacing the bolt.....

Bottom line, gained some peace of mind but will never worry about this bolt again. Will just ensure I do full synthetic changes every 3750.

Recently purchased an 05LGT with 88K from another board member. Good oil change records and no issues but this thread had scared me a little. Had some other work needed at dealer, so had them pull and replace this bolt. For $99 including the parts it was easier than the hassle of doing myself. Bottom line, there was some minor debris but nothing that would have caused any issues.

Called 2 dealers before I had this done, both claimed to have never had anyone request this be done and had never heard of this bolt and filter causing turbo failure. In fact, despite showing the dealer that performed the change the replacement a copy of 02-103-07, they still marked the paperwork that I had been warned of the risks of replacing the bolt.....

Bottom line, gained some peace of mind but will never worry about this bolt again. Will just ensure I do full synthetic changes every 3750.

So you ended up keeping the bolt. I'm about to inspect mine but still 50/50 on replacing with new or remove.

I should have been more clear that when I speak about replacing the bolt, I am really saying I put a new bolt with a new filter in place. You buy together as a single part.

Now, whether to leave a filter in place or not is another question that has been discussed extensively in this thread. I am not sure there is a right answer but my vote was to replace. I understand many others have different opinions.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked this question some time ago, but didn't get any replies.....

Has anyone had a turbo go *after* removing the banjo filter?

Hmmm. Could this be the reason I didn't get any replies?

Still asking.....

TIA.

• 2 weeks later...
I asked this question some time ago, but didn't get any replies.....

Has anyone had a turbo go *after* removing the banjo filter?

Hmmm. Could this be the reason I didn't get any replies?

Still asking.....

TIA.

I still didn't see @#$@#$ in the filter. Clean and clear...with the exception of 1 little metal shaving... that he stated.

Guess what would've happened if you didn't have a screen in there..... bye bye turbo bearings....

I still am not sold that the screen is a bad thing.

I've felt this way for a while.... The screen is there to protect the bearings.

If you remove the screen... sure... it can no longer plug.... but it also cannot serve as a last line of defense.

The real root issue is that you must do regular "religious" Oil changes with a reasonable frequency (~ <5K miles) to prevent the sludge from even developing in the engine oil passages.

Not specifically that I could find.

I did find something for the 120K service that might be related...

Recommended Inspection - Fuel systems

lines and connections|Replace - Engine oil|Replace

hoses and connections|Replace - Air cleaner element|Inspect

front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions|Inspect - Brake linings and drums|Perform

This is from the Manufacturer Maintenance Schedule from the Mysubaru website.

I don't know if this page has been posted lately but it's definitely a good read and it has the related TSB's...

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil

Cheers!

This from some of the best Subaru mechanics in the USA.....

http://allwheeldriveauto.com/how-to-make-your-subaru-turbo-last/

From the author of the above technical article-----

"I can't really speak to the other cars other than to say the oil filter is tiny little on a Subaru as compared to a Volvo or Audi.

The idea is to protect the turbo if debris gets past the filter I think without the screen there would be more issues. Less with clogging and oil starvation but more with debris entering the turbo oil inlet.

Audi turbos have a pretty high failure rate , I dont know if they have a screen in the oil feed line or not.

The problem is solely lack of maintenance , if you fool yourself into believing you dont have to change the oil lots and often, you will buy a Turbo and maybe an engine."

This from some of the best Subaru mechanics in the USA.....

The problem is solely lack of maintenance , if you fool yourself into believing you dont have to change the oil lots and often, you will buy a Turbo and maybe an engine."

:lol::lol::lol: Over 159k, oringinal motor & turbo, 15k OCI. Cobb Stage1 93Oct.16.2 psi of boost.

IMO the best thing you can do is. Check & Keep oil & other fluids at the right Level often. OCI's should be done base oil & filter you use. That can be only be determine by OA's.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

^ there is nothing to understand from this discussion. I THINK it is only in 4th Gen GT.

There are 3 points of view here.

1.) The filter is a stupid design and does nothing but cause damage. REMOVE IT ASAP

2.) The filter is good and prevents further damage in case of turbo failure. KEEP IT and perform strict OCI

3.) The filter is a moot point, the true root of turbo failure is in the maintenence. If you keep strict OCI, you will be fine, filter or not.

And there are arguments for and against all 3 arguments. Some have 125k+ keeping strict OCI with the filter, no problems. Others removed it at 20k, are at 100k+, no problems. Others don't give a shi!t about published reports and claim to change oil at REDICULOUS intervals and have no problems.

I for one keep my OCI between 3k and 4k and hope for the best. I have no intentions of digging the damn filter out.

Others don't give a shi!t about published reports and claim to change oil at REDICULOUS intervals and have no problems.

As one if the "others":rolleyes:. One I do give a shit. Never tell people what to do & how to maintain the car. As part of this forum, I just share what I know & do with my car. And proof with OA's that my OCI's are not RIDICULOUS for how I drive & the filters & oil I use. I see you have a problem when I post about my OCI's. This mite put you over the edge:eek:. Between my 3 car I maintain. 05 WRX 119k+ (G\F's), my,07 Solstice GXP 57k+ & 05 GT 159k+. That's 3 turbo charged cars. All have OCI between 12k & 15k. With over 335k between them and no oil related failures. I guess I'm only been lucky 3X:spin::spin::spin:.

You do what you think is best for you car. I'll do the same, but don't ridicule other that do different from you. Especially when they have proof the their way work for them to. :)

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

The idea is to protect the turbo if debris gets past the filter I think without the screen there would be more issues. Less with clogging and oil starvation but more with debris entering the turbo oil inlet.

I'm curious as to why there would be more issues with these turbos vs all of the Subaru turbo cars of say the 1990's. I've had two Legacy Sport sedans back then, both with super high miles on the original turbo and subscribed to [then] Performance Car Magazine from the UK (before there was mainstream internet) that covered Subarus on a regular basis and turbo failures were never an issue with Subaru.

So why the screen in the first place if previous Subaru turbo cars had no widespread turbo problems, either due to maintenance neglect or otherwise?

Are the turbochargers today THAT much different? Were the older turbos more durable when it came to oil cleanliness then the new ones? Why the screen NOW?

One thing that is NOT debatable is that if you are buying a USED Subaru Turbo car, at least checking the screen should be done in the first 10 seconds after purchasing the car and you have it at your house!

Archived