LegacyGT.com

Official 08 Spec B thread

psi365

Hey even with everything I said, I still ponyed up and ordered a spec B over a GT. If subie did offer a LGT Sti and not a spec B I almost guarante that they'd sell a ton of them if they could keep it around the spec B/Wrx Sti price. Subie doesn't have a luxury brand (like Toyota has Lexus, Nissan had Infinity, etc) so they kind of have to be make a car jack of all trades. In doing so, they should expand their model lines a lot more to cover things better though by making a middle grade version of their cars (whcih they do on one already). Look at the Impreza. You can get the base 2.5i, the middle grade car is the Wrx, and the all out car is the Sti. Inbetween those three tiers you got even more diversity. You go from a base 2.5i-2.5RS-Wrx TR-Wrx-Wrx Limited-Wrx Sti-Wrx Sti limited. Now that's not even including the wagon versions. When they released the Sti Limted...they asold every last one of them fairly quickly without problems. So there is obviously a desire for a more upscale performance model which the LGT Sti would/could cover.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am getting so tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the Spec B and having no Legacy STI. The following is a list of additions to the regular GT:

1) Alcantara inserts

2) Memory Seats

3) Chrome Rocket Panel Trim

4) 18" Wheels

5) 6 Speed Transmission

6) Torsen Limited Slip rear axel

7) Touch-Screen Navigation

8) Aluminum arms + upper links

9) Potenza RE050A tires

10) Subtle Ground Effects

11) Inverted Strut Suspension

Not to mention that with simple bolt-ons the car will hit ~250whp !

I don't get why everyone bitches. For all of the above, it definitely sounds like a great deal! Given the struts aren't as good as many aftermarket, they are still an improvement.. that is warrantied from the factory.

/rant :jedi:

out of all that.... only #5/6 interest's me enough to think about the SpecB. as it would be very costly to put into a LGT aftermarket.

out of all that.... only #5/6 interest's me enough to think about the SpecB. as it would be very costly to put into a LGT aftermarket.

Option #5 should be in the LGT. Its really lame that every other sports sedan out there has a 6 speed manual. The TSX only has 205 hp. Come on Subaru.

I am getting so tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the Spec B and having no Legacy STI. The following is a list of additions to the regular GT:

1) Alcantara inserts

2) Memory Seats

4) 18" Wheels

5) 6 Speed Transmission

9) Potenza RE050A tires

Not to mention that with simple bolt-ons the car will hit ~250whp !

I don't get why everyone bitches. For all of the above, it definitely sounds like a great deal! Given the struts aren't as good as many aftermarket, they are still an improvement.. that is warrantied from the factory.

/rant :jedi:

We're not arguing that Subaru added cost to the Spec.B. For many of us, they didn't add value.

For you, maybe it's a great deal. For some others, it's not.

yep..... that is one of my gripes about the LGT.

heck my nissan sentra spec-v has 6-speed..... if a sub $20k car can have one, why can't a 30k car?

Exactly. Especially when they want the car to be considered sporty.

I just bought this car today. I've been looking for a new car for a while now. I looked at everything and found that no car in North America offers anything close to this machine for 30k - unless it's a front wheel drive Acura full of torque steer or an STI limited with 1/10th of the amenities and a huge insurance premium. Once an accessport or some tuner is available - game over. I will say that the front grill is going to be the first thing to go. I'm suprised so many people dont like the 18 inch wheels, I think they are quite classy.

I got one last week and love it. traded on 05 obxt ltd wagon with 20,000mile. got a great deal on the trade and got the car for 3 grand under msrp plus they threw in siruis,homelink mirror and front and rear mub flaps. love love love the car. this is my 6th subie and by far the nicest,fastest,best handling,and the most fun to drive. my wifes current car is a 07 forester xt.

I got one last week and love it. traded on 05 obxt ltd wagon with 20,000mile. got a great deal on the trade and got the car for 3 grand under msrp plus they threw in siruis,homelink mirror and front and rear mub flaps. love love love the car. this is my 6th subie and by far the nicest,fastest,best handling,and the most fun to drive. my wifes current car is a 07 forester xt.

Congrats you got a smokin deal!

Only one color, and all the rest of it can rot. We have been through this before, and it is really starting to reek of self justification.

I understand that you like the car, I should hope so, for spending money on it in the first place. Spec B buyers don't need to come to the forum and belabor the point that the Spec B is so far superior to the GT limited. It IS a GT Limited, with a few extra pieces.

1) Alcantara inserts

2) Memory Seats

4) 18" Wheels

5) 6 Speed Transmission

9) Potenza RE050A tires

-6MT might be nice, but 5MT is quite nice, too. Spec B is a minus for anyone wanting an automatic trans.

-Alcantara seats is not a big deal. Nice maybe. Far from essential.

-Memory seats should be on EVERY power seat legacy. Stupid that it isn't.

-As mentioned, chrome rocker trim is readily available.

-18" wheels can be readily had. I had some. Sold them. Getting some new ones tomorrow that are an inch wider than Spec B, and probably a couple of pounds ligher, as well.

-torsen is nice. but again, the GT has a viscous LSD, which isn't too shabby.

-NAV. LOWERS RESALE VALUE!!! :D re-selling a car with an out of date tech system embedded in the dash is less attractive than simply not having it. IF you like it, great. Personally, I don't need it, or want the expense coupled with the additional depreciation margin.

-Aluminum suspension. Nice. Can be sourced and installed. should be standard, like the rest of the world's markets.

-likewise the inverted bilstein struts.

-Potenza tires... For the first few thousand miles. Hardly a major selling point, when most tires get replaced with something else before the warranty is up.

OK, here is one I don't understand...

-subtle ground effects. Are you seriously listing the chrome rocker (not rocket) trim twice???????????????

Otherwise there is NO bodywork difference. NONE. and as mentioned by several, the chrome trim is available pre-painted in all the Legacy's non-myriad of colors, not just the Spec B's grey. I wish there WAS a difference in bodywork between the Spec B and the other Legacys, again like the rest of the world.

There is a difference between 08 Legacys and 05-07 Legacys. Don't confuse that with a change between GT and Spec B, or even 2.5i or 3.0R.

As I said, if you like the Spec B, GREAT. I hope you really like it.

Others of us don't see the value in the additions and subtractions to be worth the additional money. Different horses for different courses, and all.

Is this debate ever going to never end?

For those wanting a the 6 speed and nav or simply like owning the top of the line model of a car (like me) it is the GT of choice...the other upgrades are nice and its the only way to get quite a few of them from the factory.

I love the 06/07 wheels and the 08's aren't bad I will reserve judgement until I see them in person.

Personally the grey is my favorite color, I would love to have the 6-speed, I can and would use the nav alot (I miss it from my previous car) because i live in a city. those two options make it worth the price difference...the nicer interior, wheels, and suspension goodies are gravy...a few more HP would be nice and probably should be there but it is what it is and it is so easy to upgrade the power on these cars (GT's) its really neither hear nor there.

Different strokes for different folks...this bantar is useless and has been repeated a 100+ times over the last 2 years.

If you can justify the price for the upgrades than buy it (I would) if not then quit trying to justify why you didn't spend the extra money and bought what you did.

Why didn't i buy one when I traded my 05 in? I wanted a wagon...I wanted a wagon so much that I ended up without a turbo because they just weren't available...and the way gas is going I am so glad I have it...

Please don't try and nick pick this apart just leave it as it is love your car and respect the others like you would like from them.

I've owned a number of Subarus including an '04 WRX STi and an '05 LGT. My '07 Spec B is my favorite by far:

• The engine is responsive. More so than the '05 LGT in when the Spec B is in Sport #. In Sport # the Spec B reminds me of the '04 WRX STi.
  • Smoothest and most precise 6 spd MT I've ever driven including those produced by BMW and Honda. The Honda I drove was my son's 2006 Civic Si. I cannot speak to the Porsche MTs. The clutch is light and engages just right for me - not too high and not too low. It also engages smoothly without shudder.
  • The ride. The Bilstein shocks and suspension are a revelation on the Spec B. The ride is very similar to a previously owned BMW E39 540. There is magic in the suspension as it is supple and carves corners with precision. However, I still find more body roll than I like.
  • Torsen rear differential. Until you've experienced the immediacy of the Torsen compared to the stock viscous LSD you do not know what you are missing. The Torsen is hard to beat and was the deal maker for me. We had seriously looked at a BMW 335i and it's lack of a mechanical LSD (even as an option) was a deal breaker especially when you compare the stock equipment and price difference.
  • I find the Nav system very helpful when traveling to unfamiliar destinations. I've upgraded to v2 and appreciate the updated maps. I do not like the fact that Subaru prevents the passenger from updating the Nav while moving. If the vehicle knows the passenger seat is occupied, it should allow programming. You can program a Honda Civic Nav on the roll.
  • Interior. Subaru has upgraded the Legacy every year in small and some large ways. It is becoming a more refined car each year. The interior of the 07' Spec B is quieter than the '05 LGT and appears to be assembled with more care.
  • 2008: My wife just took delivery of an '08 OBXT. It has improvements over my '07 and I consider it slightly more refined. I know the seats in her OBXT are more luxurious.

In short, I think the Spec B and the 2008 Spec B to be a serious contender for the car enthusiast's (especially AWD enthusiast's) money.

• Smoothest and most precise 6 spd MT I've ever driven including those produced by BMW and Honda.

The 6 spd in my dad's 330xi is his (and my) chief complaint. Its awful. You cannot shift it smoothly, no matter what gear. My sisters Corolla shifts smoother. $44,000 for a car that jerks everytime you shift it. Lame. However, at least its not Mercedes where you can get only the C class in a stick.

^ SLK's can be gotten in stick now :).

Weird about your dad's BMW. All the BMW's I've driven during valet have had pretty good shifters.

SLK, really? Good to hear.

The 330ci we test drove shifted much nicer. The 325i we also tested did not.

My wife's miata has a torsen, and my GT Limited has a Viscous LSD...

Not that much difference. If I had a choice, I'd go with the torsen, for purely techical grounds, but on a practical standpoint, the real-world difference is not THAT big.

I'll put it this way... Red paint is more important to me than the difference between the LSD, as long as it has one.

There are bigger marks against the spec B, in my book, than the Torsen difference is a plus.

If they offered the spec B with some options, and with as much value as the GT, I would consider it. Either justify the price increase, or charge less money. Not more money for less options, despite the slight plusses of suspension, transmission, and differential. The regular GT limited still has suspension, transmission, and differentials, and mine has red paint, and I paid more than 10 THOUSAND dollars less for my car than the sticker price of a Spec B, and mine is FASTER and BETTER LOOKING. Having a viscous LSD vs a Torsen doesn't make me feel bad about that.

Better yet, and as I have said many times...

Turn the GT back into the un-limited version, and put the spec B in the GT limited's price bracket, with NAV optional, and better colors.

Now, a Spec B for 30k, without NAV, but otherwise the same, and painted World Rally Blue, or *almost* any nice red, and we can talk. Gray-only BS for 4k$ more is out.

BMW 335 vs Spec.B is a nice debate and is a compliment for a Spec.B to be compared with a car costing much much more - both at the sticker and with maintenance. True 300 hp > 250 hp and that extra 50 hp translates into a .1 sec quicker 0-60. Whoppee. Get an AP and a tune and presto, that's erased.

The troubles I've had with 2 BMWs (lots of big and little ones) compared to my 3 Subs (3 service visits in 12 years (1) replace clutch, (2) fix power window, and (3) reset CEL) makes me a glad we're selling our BMW for another Subaru - now the question is an '07 or an '08?

BMW Dealer arrogance and absolutely terrible BMW customer service here in Northern VA lost the sale if the multitude of maintenance problems didn't already do it.

Don't get me wrong, the BMW is a very nice car and has a certain bling factor ("Oh, you drive a BMW, maybe I should sleep with you"), but when we're looking for comfort on a cross country drive or reliability, we go with the Sub. Plus, I've got a bad back and driving in the BMW brings more pain.

If I lived in Germany again, this debate would more entertaining, provided we're comparind the BMW Xi models with a Spec.B because the BMW does handle very nicely on the autobahns at 130mph. But in the USA, that's irrelevant.

its not a rumor but we have all heard the spec-b has a lil more power.

and as for spec-b or gt its what you can afford and what you are looking for!

this discussion is getting out of control. get back on focus and talk about the 08 spec-b like the thread says!!!

And the 08 is nice, i kinda like the new steering wheel, its a lil fatter than mine and has more controls and bling. other than that its the same car with a new front and rear bumper. but a great car, and if you can afford the 36,988 price tag then get one, end of story

Archived