LegacyGT.com

Official 08 Spec B thread

psi365

So the system only works if one tire is low? If this were the case I could drive around w/ 4 flat tires and the system would not register any flat tires because all 4 would then be rotating at the same speed.

That's a possibility. I suppose that's why Subaru is using the valve-stem pressure units - more complicated but more accurate. Though, as already stated, the Subaru system doesn't indicate which tire is low, just that *a* tire is low. If all four were low, you'd still get the low-pressure warning, unlike the the other system.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So the system only works if one tire is low? If this were the case I could drive around w/ 4 flat tires and the system would not register any flat tires because all 4 would then be rotating at the same speed.

First off the abs tpms system uses a long term measurment, not a snap shot measurement to see if a tire is low (unless it is a rapid loose). Since the tpms system is also tied into the abs it probably uses additional inputs like the steering angle sensor to tell when the driver is making a turn to cause that wheel speed difference you described.

Yes and no to this quote. Depending on how accurate the system is, you still may have to set it for a base tire pressure. So if its set at 32psi, and all 4 tires are at 20 the computer may see this difference and trigger the light. If you set it at 0 and then drive it and all tires are flat, then it may not trigger the light. Again I am only guessing at how this system works. I don't know exactly how it does work.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some useful information at tirerack while looking at wheels for the Spec B.

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that

requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for

proper operation.

NOTE: The original sensors from your original wheels can be used or you may purchase sensors from The Tire Rack.

INSTALLATION: If you purchase a Tire & Wheel Package when you buy new sensors, the sensors will be installed on the wheels at no additional charge. Otherwise, you will have to arrange for installation by a trained technician after your new wheels are shipped to you. The Tire Rack's Recommended Installers are available to help you with your installation needs and can be selected by ZIP Code in the shopping cart.

Once installed, you will need to read your vehicle's owner's manual to review the proper procedure for allowing your vehicle to "recognize" the new sensors.

Your system includes:

TPMS SENSOR

$152.00 for a quantity of 4

TPMS NUT

$8.00 for a quantity of 4

Total Price: $160.00

There is a picture of what the sensor looks like

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/TPMSServlet?qty=4&type=W&wheelPartNum=WVDT48D8TG&sortCode=95582&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan+2.5+GT&autoYear=2007&autoModClar=Spec+B

Well after a very long time of car shopping I finally stepped up and got a 08 spec B last saturday. So I'll look in the owners manual and see what it says. Probably go to your local Subie dealer to get the system activated.

Well after a very long time of car shopping I finally stepped up and got a 08 spec B last saturday. So I'll look in the owners manual and see what it says. Probably go to your local Subie dealer to get the system activated.

Congrats! If you ever get tired of shifting all six of those gears, I'd be willing do an even trade for my '05 GT 5MT. :)

Thanks. I'm so used to cars with non working a/c I feel spoiled with just that working. I'll get some pics up after I do a few things to it.

I did look in the owners manual and it says anytime wheels that have inactive/new tire pressure sensors are put on the car you are going to have to go to the dealer to have them "activate" them. It suggests just having the dealer install new wheels/seasonal wheels to avoid it.

I'm still going to get an extra set of sensors. Tirerack has them for around $160 so thats a lot eaiser then swapping over sensors from rim to rim. I figure if your dealer is cool, then you could always tip a tech to reset the system for you. Now I just have to find out if the rims I got my eye on take the sensors.

There will be a new JDM STi Legacy coming out in Aug this year.

Over on Nabisco, that comment probably would have generated a furor. Over here, we just say:

Yeah, we've heard that before. Where's your proof?

...and what do you mean by STi Legacy? There's already a Legacy "tuned by STI" in Japan and Australia. Is that what you're referring to? If so, that's old news.

There will be a new JDM STi Legacy coming out in Aug this year.

We promise we'll listen if you clarify "new".

Here's an article from August 2006 (a year ago) talking about the JDM Legacy STI:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/09/subary-legacy-sti-package-introduced-in-japan/

Another one from last August:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/subaru-legacy-tuned-by-sti-edition-in-japan.html

New Zealand (Jan. 2006):

http://www.subaru.co.nz/About_Subaru/News/index.php?article=862

And the Australia post above.

If you know something about a Legacy STI newer than these, we're all ears.

We have heard the persistent rumor of a possible turbo H6, but that rumor has been shot down too many times due to no substantiating evidence.

We've heard the rumor of a Legacy STI coming to the US, but Subaru of America is probably too afraid that it will sell well, so they won't bring it.

If you have facts, or even partially substantiated rumors, we're listening...

Here's my story on how I got to know about this STi thing....

Early May 07 I wanted place an order for a JDM 2.0GT Spec B sedan, but was told that Subaru in Japan had stopped taking orders for the 07 mode (BL5-D) and were retooling for a 'facelifted' model. Ok, so I wait 2 weeks and get my order for what I assume is a 1/2 07 or 08 model, the BL5-E, which now has keyless ignition and rear a/c vents in the central transmission console as std.

The stock 180 km/h speedo is pretty lame, so I ask if the gauge cluster for the A-C models would work, but of course it doesn't, due to some changes in the ECU and CAMBUS crap. I then am shown a forwarded email from STI Japan saying that a STi Legacy or tuned by STi Legacy (Probably based on the BL/BP5 E models) will be out in Aug and the new gauge cluster soon thereafter for 68K Yen.

The new STi parts catalog has an entry for the new BL5E model

http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbpd_legacy/cat4.html

There's already a Legacy "tuned by STI" in Japan and Australia. Is that what you're referring to? If so, that's old news.

Early May 07 I wanted place an order for a JDM 2.0GT Spec B sedan, but was told that Subaru in Japan had stopped taking orders for the 07 mode (BL5-D) and were retooling for a 'facelifted' model. Ok, so I wait 2 weeks and get my order for what I assume is a 1/2 07 or 08 model, the BL5-E, which now has keyless ignition and rear a/c vents in the central transmission console as std.

The stock 180 km/h speedo is pretty lame, so I ask if the gauge cluster for the A-C models would work, but of course it doesn't, due to some changes in the ECU and CAMBUS crap. I then am shown a forwarded email from STI Japan saying that a STi Legacy or tuned by STi Legacy (Probably based on the BL/BP5 E models) will be out in Aug and the new gauge cluster soon thereafter for 68K Yen.

Here's the thing... Unless the Legacy Tuned by STI is coming to the United States of America... no one gives two shits if it's coming out else where.

I understand now. Those of us who frequent these forums tend to be a little more active in seeking out information on new models and model refreshes. We've been hearing about the Legacy tuned by STI for a year now, so it's not new news here. The refresh you mentioned is probably just the standard model line refresh, not a new STI. Yes, I think they would have to massage some of the STI parts, like the front lip, for the refresh, but, as far as we know, there are no substantive changes for the Legacy STI in the model year changeover.

When the Legacy/Liberty gets redesigned in 2010, we should see some bigger changes.

Here's the thing... Unless the Legacy Tuned by STI is coming to the United States of America... no one gives two shits if it's coming out else where.

You'll notice that BL5E's location is Singapore. I'm sure they get their Subarus from Japan, not from the US.

You'll notice as I said that really this board only cares if it's coming to the States or not.

Not to split hairs, but,... we have several members here from other countries - Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand, and even a couple people from Japan pop in now and then. We're global.

Not to split hairs, but,... we have several members here from other countries - Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand, and even a couple people from Japan pop in now and then. We're global.

Not splitting hairs. However, which countries already have the Legacy STI? Which ones don't?

Not splitting hairs. However, which countries already have the Legacy STI? Which ones don't?

Those that I know of: Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. I'm not sure of others.

I was trying to point out that there may be people outside of the US, but not in Japan, Australia, or New Zealand, who are interested in whether or not the Legacy STI gets to their country, but might not be interested in whether or not the US gets it.

I will admit that the vast majority of the people here are from the US, so the vast majority only care whether we get the STI here in the US, but there are others.

For instance, BL5E probably doesn't care much if we get it here, as that probably won't affect whether or not Singapore gets them. Unless he plans to buy one here and import it to Singapore...

I'm just trying to think global.

Those that I know of: Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. I'm not sure of others.

I was trying to point out that there may be people outside of the US, but not in Japan, Australia, or New Zealand, who are interested in whether or not the Legacy STI gets to their country, but might not be interested in whether or not the US gets it.

I will admit that the vast majority of the people here are from the US, so the vast majority only care whether we get the STI here in the US, but there are others.

For instance, BL5E probably doesn't care much if we get it here, as that probably won't affect whether or not Singapore gets them. Unless he plans to buy one here and import it to Singapore...

I'm just trying to think global.

I get your point, really I do. I know that there are others that care. AU has had the Liberty STI now for what now... 6 mon-1 production year? (or close to it), JPN has had a version of the Legacy STI now for a while and now the last lone country that deserves...... yes deserves the Legacy STI is the US. SoA has shafted Subaru owners it seems from year to year and model to model. It's no mistake that this happens and they know they'll loose a certain percentage of their 1% of the US car market but also gain new drivers.

The Legacy STI could be said that it's a "niche" market but in the growing Sedans here in the states that are over 300HP, Subaru had really think long and hard about bringing the LSTI to the US because of said cars and the growing market.

Who knows, maybe my opinion is in the minority but when it comes time to Subaru bringing the car over, they had better make it a car worthy of carrying the "STI" badge in some fashion or another.

I agree with you. It sure seems that SoA doesn't have a clue what Subaru is all about. They just don't get it. SoA seems to get in the way of bringing the good stuff here.

If SoA really wants to move upmarket like they claim, they need to bring the goods, not keep trying to cater to the Outback crowd where they made their mark. Sure, the Outback saved Subaru in the US a few years ago, but it's only because of their inept marketing that they were in trouble in the first place.

Come on SoA, get your act together and bring a potent Legacy STI! Yes, the "tuned by STI" will be nice, but all you have to do is toss a turbo H6 in without changing much of anything else, and it will sell, and sell well. Americans like performance, so bring us performance!

I get your point, really I do. I know that there are others that care. AU has had the Liberty STI now for what now... 6 mon-1 production year? (or close to it), JPN has had a version of the Legacy STI now for a while and now the last lone country that deserves...... yes deserves the Legacy STI is the US. SoA has shafted Subaru owners it seems from year to year and model to model. It's no mistake that this happens and they know they'll loose a certain percentage of their 1% of the US car market but also gain new drivers.

The Legacy STI could be said that it's a "niche" market but in the growing Sedans here in the states that are over 300HP, Subaru had really think long and hard about bringing the LSTI to the US because of said cars and the growing market.

Who knows, maybe my opinion is in the minority but when it comes time to Subaru bringing the car over, they had better make it a car worthy of carrying the "STI" badge in some fashion or another.

By the swing of vehicle buying from SUV's to awd cars I would tend to agree with you. I mean look at all the manufacturers that now offer awd versions of their performance cars....... BMW, Infinity, Audi(they have for a long time compared to others though), Volvo, just to name a few. If Subaru had offerd a LGT Sti or even a LGT tuned by STi I would have waited and bought it over my spec B. If they could keep iit under $40k they'd clean up. As it is the sticker price on a spec B is considerably lower priced then a similiarly equiped "luxury or luxury sport" car. Hell you could only touch a A3 2.0T fwd for the price of my spec B and still not have as many options.

Archived