LegacyGT.com

Official 08 Spec B thread

psi365

Getting my oil changed Saturday at the dealership and they have a new Spec B in the showroom...Any specific pic requests?

No pic requests, but could you ask the sales / general manager or owner about the mythical "Tuned By STi" Legacy? Thanks.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No pic requests, but could you ask the sales / general manager or owner about the mythical "Tuned By STi" Legacy? Thanks.

I'm going today during my lunch to probably order my car. I'll be talking to the owner of the dealership, so I'll ask him to check it out for you.

I did email SOA a little while ago about this exact subject. Their offical stance was there is not going to be a Legacy Sti for the US market. This is the email I got back. As I stated in the Legacy Sti thread that if we as a community kept emailing/calling SOA for this car it would show them that there is an interest and demand for it. If the demand is there then they would have to consider actually building one for the US market. I know that is an ideal thought, but if no one asks you will never get it.

Hello Chris:

Thank you for your interest in Subaru products. For the 2008 model

year, we will not be offering the Legacy STI. We will be offering

Legacy 2.5i, 2.5GT and 3.0R Sedans.

We do appreciate that you brought to our attention your interest in a

Legacy STI. Your suggestion has been forwarded to our Product Planning

Department for their review and consideration.

Have a great day Chris.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America

I'm going today during my lunch to probably order my car. I'll be talking to the owner of the dealership, so I'll ask him to check it out for you.

Thanks much!

One request for your Saturday visit would be to validate the presence of the aluminum control arms on the suspension and the aluminum hood.

I forgot to bring a magnet yesterday, nut I crawled under a 08. The lower control arm was painted black. Not sure if Subie paints its aluminum parts, but I know Audi doesn't. If I get a second tonight, I'll try to remember to bring a magnet and check quick for you.

Front arm is easily to tell - regular is black, stamped hollow steel construction, wheres the SpecB has cast alu piece - silver. Rear trailing arms are cast iron on regular GT and cast alu (again shiny silver) on SpecB.

Actually, the cruise control is on the front face of the top-right spoke of the wheel.

You stop wasting time and do some research before you try to make other people look like idiots.

I knew someone would get him eventually. :)

Actually, the cruise control is on the front face of the top-right spoke of the wheel.

You stop wasting time and do some research before you try to make other people look like idiots.

If that is true, then my apologies.

lol

Well the Spec B was pretty good, but the 335i Sedan was hands down a much better value of a sporty sedan for the money when you balance out what quality mods and time would take to get it in the same ballpark. I think Subaru needs to work harder on defining who they are instead of jack of all trades cars which are behind the curve.

Well if you ask me a number of things could be done with the vehicle to drive me more towards a Spec B such as if it had a twin-scroll for smoother operation (the low compression EJ25 cannot compare to the N54 even remotely without a twin-scroll, which would likely have made me much more happy), it could have used the Brembos, and made the NAV an option. If they gave me the option, it would have been Brembos over NAV every day of the week. The fit and finish of the car I was perfectly happy with less the details like this, or rather major details. I don't think it would take Subaru nearly as much as many think to perform remotely close to the 335i, but it takes some finesse. Maybe now that they've consolidated some product lines they'll save enough cash that for other owners they'll have a better shot at getting a real Legacy STI in their hands in the near future.

But I don't think I'll be coming back. I was hoping for certain things like advancing enging technology, but it doesn't look like we'll see much of that in their near future as mentioned in several press releases over the past year. When a ~325-350hp car that weighs 400 lbs more than my dad's Legacy 2.5i wagon gets the same mileage with a higher compression turbo engine than his N/A engine, gotta raise a few eyebrows.

One of the biggest problems with the spec B over a regular GT is that there isn't a hp increase. To most if not all of us the suspension upgrade doesn't warrant the $4k price difference. I mean they are able to make the Sti Limited cost as much as a Sti with more grown up touches to it. If the spec B had more real performance to it and not even go the full 293hp, but bump it to something like 275hp it would giive Audi, Bmw, Lexus, and MB buyers so real competition. That or get rid of the spec B and just offer the LGT Sti instead. I just think if they do that, it will cost around $40k+ though.

One of the biggest problems with the spec B over a regular GT is that there isn't a hp increase. To most if not all of us the suspension upgrade doesn't warrant the $4k price difference. I mean they are able to make the Sti Limited cost as much as a Sti with more grown up touches to it. If the spec B had more real performance to it and not even go the full 293hp, but bump it to something like 275hp it would giive Audi, Bmw, Lexus, and MB buyers so real competition. That or get rid of the spec B and just offer the LGT Sti instead. I just think if they do that, it will cost around $40k+ though.

Well said, my thoughts exactly. I would pay $4-6K more for a performance version of the LGT; not interested in paying much of a premium for the Spec.B.

I am getting so tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the Spec B and having no Legacy STI. The following is a list of additions to the regular GT:

1) Alcantara inserts

2) Memory Seats

3) Chrome Rocket Panel Trim

4) 18" Wheels

5) 6 Speed Transmission

6) Torsen Limited Slip rear axel

7) Touch-Screen Navigation

8) Aluminum arms + upper links

9) Potenza RE050A tires

10) Subtle Ground Effects

11) Inverted Strut Suspension

Not to mention that with simple bolt-ons the car will hit ~250whp !

I don't get why everyone bitches. For all of the above, it definitely sounds like a great deal! Given the struts aren't as good as many aftermarket, they are still an improvement.. that is warrantied from the factory.

/rant :jedi:

Archived