LegacyGT.com

Official 08 Spec B thread

psi365

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow san fran has some major 'hill-age'...

In all honesty, I try to avoid hills that steep with any car. Even in an AT, it's hard enough just to see over the crest at the top of the hill, where the street is horizontal again. ;)

-Mike-

If anything, the Outbacks need an aluminium hood to keep the center of gravity lower...

I think there were some regulatory issues related to emmissions that allowed the change from aluminum to steel hoods for the Outback. The weight saving were no longer needed. Steel hoods = lower cost.

Maybe because they're listed as SUVs/trucks, I don't know. But last thing I recall as far as cost of materials was something in this ballpark...

A36 Steel = roughly $0.40/lb

Higher strength steels = roughly $0.45-0.50/lb (allowing thinner gauges to do same job)

Aluminum = roughly $2.00/lb

There's good reason they're walking away from aluminum. In most cases, HSLA steels will do the same thing as aluminum, with comparable mass and strength, but at a fraction of the cost. It takes a good deal of analysis to really come out with a really durable yet light product and most just don't stick enough time into it, especially those of us in the heavy truck market.

Maybe because they're listed as SUVs/trucks, I don't know. But last thing I recall as far as cost of materials was something in this ballpark...

A36 Steel = roughly $0.40/lb

Higher strength steels = roughly $0.45-0.50/lb (allowing thinner gauges to do same job)

Aluminum = roughly $2.00/lb

There's good reason they're walking away from aluminum. In most cases, HSLA steels will do the same thing as aluminum, with comparable mass and strength, but at a fraction of the cost. It takes a good deal of analysis to really come out with a really durable yet light product and most just don't stick enough time into it, especially those of us in the heavy truck market.

Without doing some more reseach, I think you are correct about the SUV/truck comment.

I think it might have been when the redesigned 05's came out they listed the OB as a truck then, a bunch of environmental groups were making a big deal out of it (I think it's bad laws and regulations that allow that to happen, but that's just me). I remember the whole stink of it though and I think that was about the time it happened, back in '04. Someone can quote me on it.

When you look at pics of 2008 GTs XTs, Spec bs, and 3.0R you'll see a little "i" button on the wheel, I guess in this information computer you can store dates, it will remind you of upcoming birthdays, ect...kinda cool, but also not really nessasary

Solution for 08 Outback owners:

1. CF LGT hood

2. sucker some 08 LGT owner into a hood swap.

Actually from the looks of it the '08 Outback hoods are different than the Legacy other than different material because they have a chrome strip on the tip for the grille.:eek:

-ben

When you look at pics of 2008 GTs XTs, Spec bs, and 3.0R you'll see a little "i" button on the wheel, I guess in this information computer you can store dates, it will remind you of upcoming birthdays, ect...kinda cool, but also not really nessasary

Well if that's all it's for, that's beyond lame to lunacy in my book, stuff like that is mean't for cell phones and PDA's. Then again, I'm more function over form so things like that just aren't my ticket. I'm guessing the primary feature may be something like the trip computer, how does that work with the Nav, is it integrated into it? I liked the one that was built into my 05 GT in the dash, but I know that area is now occupied by the Nav, so I'd imagine it is built into that.

Please don't waste our time with this nonsense bs.

I think what you're trying to say is that they moved the SI-drive controls to the steering wheel for '08. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lol

Until we get out hands on a manuel, nobody will know..

However this larger pic demonstrates that it is infact an "I/Set" button with an button for up and down, and the S# for the SI drive is on the other side by itself.

http://subdriven.com/gallery/albums//Automobiles/Legacy/Generation%204/Legacy%203.0%20R%20Limited/l001.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two words... Cruise control

Seriously, stop wasting everyone's time. Do some research before you post this nonsense. :rolleyes:

lol

Getting my oil changed Saturday at the dealership and they have a new Spec B in the showroom...Any specific pic requests? They also have a '08 LGT which lists for over 33K on their website. Must be AT and Navi to get the MRSP up that high.

Archived