LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess the Legacys just seems to sit lower in the rear, and I'm just seeing that on my install....

Looking at some of the pics from the 2007 Tokoyo salon....I see plenty of Legacys and wagons sitting even....

Wheel openings are bigger in the front (since those wheels turn) than in the rear. Lots of cars are like this, and it give the *appearance* of the rear being lower.

Those cars at the auto shows are either running coilovers or springs that lower the front more than the rear, hence evening out the visual appearance.

Imprezas are the same way... ;)

Great, i just received 4 struts from allshocks.com today, thanx to Kevin Foote. Now that i don't wanna take oem struts apart and reuse the parts, other than 4 new tophats and dust boots, whateles do i need to buy for a complete set ?

why don't you like blisteins? Let us know how the coilovers are.

Leftover impressions from my 911 days. As with Goodyear and Michelin tires, they are overpriced for what you get, and only of average quality.

If I can get enough time home, I want to have the Ksports and the Hankook RS2-Z212s on before I run at Grattan next month. That will be a nice test of the setup (along with the Cobb bars that I already like from my Gingerman track day last month).

Ron

Looks good Waxiboy! Are those JDM/USDM Spec B top hats front and rear, or just front?

I know the rears don't *need* to be done, but I wondered if doing USDM rears/JDM fronts might effect the ride height......

Well, I'm feeling the burn,... I went to put the HD's on today, and found out that the front strut shaft isn't long enough to make it to the mount (rears okay)... I'm guessing that's why you have to use the spec B top hats up front? Anybody out there that can clue me in would be appreciated. Wish i found this site sooner...

Thanks to you both for the input! I have ordered the proper top hats (dust covers too you say?)..... Now, it's time to hack on Tirerack and/or Bilstein for fully dropping the ball on this. It makes one wonder how many others are out there who have missed the inside scoop on this, and are currently jetting blue flames out their butts over this serious oversite by both manufacturer and dealer. I double checked with these clowns about this (before I found this site) and was assured there would be no probs,... Pffffffht! Again, so much for trusting the pros... Bad bad bad ..... I'll keep you all posted on what T'rack does to remedy this,... as far as I'm concerned they should spot me the damn top hats, and they can argue with Bilstein about the bill for them! Maybe some costs and complaints will get them both to do a better job of researching their respective products. Hey, I can dream, can't I? :D

Bilstein, at least their East Coast offices, are very aware of this issue. When these shocks and struts were first released, I spent quite a bit of time on this on the phone and via email with them when this issue first came up. Officially, the Bilstien HD's are only approved for use on the Legacy Spec-B's, which have the correct top hats to begin with.

Given the number of people that have ordered these shocks either through Allshocks, where it is posted that you need the spec B top hats, or that are in this thread, and knowing the number of these shocks that actually currently exist in North America, the number of people that have actually ordered these shocks that are not aware of this issue is extremely small.

Well, typical of big corp's, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Bilstein appearently has not made a concerted effort to get this info out to ALL of it's distributors. Tirerack, where I bought mine, had been given no tech info about this potential problem, even after I asked them to double check. It seems Allshocks didn't have this requirement posted from day one either... Now, given that there are not very many of this generation of LGT's(of whatever stripe) in America period, minus the very few of these people actually make upgrades to their cars, minus the the general lack of availability for the limited time they've been released, .....equals not really many shocks/struts number-wise out there; unless the folks who buy these shocks found this site beforehand or were lucky enough to get them from an informed source, it's a fair bet that a good percenatge of them found out the hard way. (Get this, I just called West coast Bilstein, and their rep' made no mention of the need for top hats... didn't know one way or the other.. yes I specified non-spec B, and no mention that they were made for only spec-B)...

As for Tirerack, after some polite but firm complaining, and rejecting their offer to have the whole works shipped back at no cost (not a very fair offer considering the $$ to install and remove the rears), they have agreed to credit me 75$, which almost covers the cost of new top hats. Partial kudos to them...

Archived