LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

BTW, I kept the stock springs....my interest was in not lowering it if possible, still have a nice highway ride, but get the vastly improved dampening that Bilstein is well known for.

Congrats on the HDs! My HDs are sitting in the box right now. I have a similar goal in mind and have acquired a used set of JDM LGT wagon springs to keep the stock height but have a firmer spring rate. I'm waiting for my tires to wear out, so I can replace the struts, springs, and align the car when I get new tires.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been fallowing this topic for quite some time now. Few things i have noticed, correct me if i'm wrong.

1. Bilstein HD has same travel interval as JDM bilstein, so a drop more than 1.5' front is okay.

2. Tein H-tech are close to Pink in all aspect, but car looks less lowerd when paired with JDM top hat than USDM top hat. cost around $160 (front looks jacked up)

3. iON spec-b front springs are progressive and designed with JDM top hat in mind, so it offers best drop, and they ride nice, also cost nicely around $500.

4. JDM GT or specB pinks are the safe bet. cost around $400.

need more inputs from swift owners and eibach owners.

Been fallowing this topic for quite some time now. Few things i have noticed, correct me if i'm wrong.

1. Bilstein HD has same travel interval as JDM bilstein, so a drop more than 1.5' front is okay. Reports support same travel. IMO I wouldn't drop the car more than 1.5'. (most springs will not get you there)

2. Tein H-tech are close to Pink in all aspect, but car looks less lowerd when paired with JDM top hat than USDM top hat. cost around $160 (front looks jacked up) Bilsteins are for JDM tophats. JDM tophats are about 1/4" less in height. This transfers directly to ride hieght. So using USDM tophats with Bilstiens will cause the car to sit higher in the front. Cost for JDM tophats...about $85 from thekingofparts. H-tech vs. Pinks....IMO go with Pinks.

3. iON spec-b front springs are progressive and designed with JDM top hat in mind, so it offers best drop, and they ride nice, also cost nicely around $500. Yes, ion "spec b" aka bilstein (JDM) will work and give you the correct stance. They are progressive. Ride is firm but good. Spring rates are higher than standard sport spec. I believe about 15% higher. Front springs alone are not $500.

4. JDM GT or specB pinks are the safe bet. cost around $400. Pinks have a great rep. They will work great with Bilsteins. I went with Swifts due to the extra 5mm or so drop in the front to give a better stance IMO. Plus you can pick up swifts for about $250-275.

need more inputs from swift owners and eibach owners.

Have not heard too much if anything about eibach. I'd steer clear as they are probably made for the USDM set up. Your safe with Pinks or Swifts. I picked Swifts over Pinks for a few reasons...1. Cost (about $150 less) 2. Better stance IMO (it is very little difference) 3. Reviews (owners with both springs said they are nearly identical in performance. Swifts a tad more firm as they have about 10% higher spring rate) Ride is great on JDM GT REV A Bilsteins. Firm and controlled. Not too harsh. Very nice combination of performance and comfort.

Have not heard too much if anything about eibach. I'd steer clear as they are probably made for the USDM set up. Your safe with Pinks or Swifts. I picked Swifts over Pinks for a few reasons...1. Cost (about $150 less) 2. Better stance IMO (it is very little difference) 3. Reviews (owners with both springs said they are nearly identical in performance. Swifts a tad more firm as they have about 10% higher spring rate) Ride is great on JDM GT REV A Bilsteins. Firm and controlled. Not too harsh. Very nice combination of performance and comfort.

Eibachs are JDM - or at least they come in Bilstein fitment - I imported one set for a member. I believe they are great springs. 25mm drop front, 15mm drop rear (if I remember correctly).

unclemat,

how do you compare the bilsteins+pinks/swifts that you had to the MR coilovers? I am undecided between the two since they are in the similar price range after you obtain all the parts.

my car will be a street car, no tracking/autoX

^ to my knowledge, unclemat has no experience with swifts.

btw the PM button is your friend.;)

I have spoken to a member that had pinks then swifts on his spec b. he changed for the lower front stance of swifts. he said they are extremely similar and its hard to tell any difference. I've heard this from vendors that sell both pinks and swift springs.

Eibachs are JDM - or at least they come in Bilstein fitment - I imported one set for a member. I believe they are great springs. 25mm drop front, 15mm drop rear (if I remember correctly).

ok. as for eibach, i'd confirm anything i'd order off the internet in the states. good chance they could be USDM fitment.

rates?

you putting them on HD's?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can use the USDM stock version springs or do they have to be JDM springs since it needs to use JDM Top Hats. I know people have bought some aftermarket springs to lower the car but I'm not looking to do that...was wondering if I can use my stock GT LTD springs.

Sorry I have to ask a dumb question since I am not mechanically inclined...what would happen if I were to use a stock USDM spring from GT Ltd..on a JDM Bilstein Spec B strut? Or the other way....a USDM Strust with JDM specB springs and tophats? is it that they just wont fit or just not recommended? again..sorry for the dumb question...i just have no cluse.

It would appear that the HD/Ion setup may be comparable to a Koni/Ion setup with the Koni's set to full soft.

See - http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35073&page=26

Jack - do you have any insight/comment?

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Lie495s14 - just wanted to clarify some info. The price you've listed is not totally reflective of the true cost as you did not state that the price was inclusive of shipping to your locale as well as any other options you choose in terms of payment.

sorry , i provided unclear info. my bad:p

I really wish you guys are in the State, i'd grab that iON spec'b springs which i always wanted, and get it over with searching for springs. I have bilstein HDs sitting in my garage for almost 2 months now, and yet still can't decide on springs. i'm frustrited. Maybe i should just settel with swifts, such a sweet deal from Mann Engineering. lol

• 5 weeks later...

update: today i finally installed my front and rear Energy Suspension urethane sway bar bushings (23mm front, 21mm rear) on my Cusco sway bars. only put about 20 miles on them so far and i will say run don't walk to the nearest vendor that sells these there is a major difference in how the suspension reacts to bumps and the ride quailty. before you could hear the suspension work almost like something was loose in the suspension not sure of a better way to describe it but it was just not as quiet as it should have been when riding over bumps, that is gone now. the car also turns in better and seems to load the chassis better in faster corners. i remember another member who said to do this i should have listened.

the brackets for the front bushings needed to be trimmed to fit not a big deal if you have a file and hacksaw. more testing to follow but as of right now i give this mod the Bosco Five Star Rating it's that much of an improvement. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Ride is different from handling. They shouldn't make a differerence in ride quality. If both wheels in front or rear hit a bump at the same time, the bar just rotates in bushings. If one wheel hits a bump and the other doesn't, then the bar acts as a spring as it is twisted. But the sway mount bushings shouldn't have much effect.

The biggest effect with urethane is the need to keep it lubed so they don't squeak as the sway bar rotates in it's mounts.

Guest Gitster
But if the bushings make less noise etc, it will psychologically make you think ride quality is better. Isnt noise part of ride quality ???

So it's probably either the placebo effect or he's just trying to justify the time and money spent on putting the bushings in?

Not at all. Stiffer bushings in the two sway mounts will minimize deflection of the bushings when the sway is stressed. Remember, when one end of the bar is bent upwards, the bushing holding it in place will attempt to deflect. The stiffer the bushing, the less deflection. The decreased deflection will increase the effective spring rate of sway bar as it is torqued, but I suspect the effect on "ride quality" will be minimal compared to the (1) stiffer sway bar over stock sway and (2) stiffer springs previously installed. I would think the change in ride quality would be undetectible. The change in noise (for my Cobb sways when not properly lubbed) is certainly detectible.

^^ +1

The more telling review of the bushings wil be in 6-9 months after going through a couple of weather seasons.

No one has ever kept them in after using them in other cars I've been associated with, and I don't see why these woud be any different.

Unless the driver is deaf, and then they would never know!!

Ron

Archived