LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. How many miles do you have on your setup now?

appox. 4,000. no issues make sure you install the urethane sway bar bushings they do help. btw no issues with them either. :) bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• 4 weeks later...

Wow...this has been an informative read!

So two days later, I think I'll give the ION spec-b springs a try on my 08 Spec-B.

15-20% stiffer, lower-even stance....maybe the best match to the USDM Spec-B (JDM rev-C...I'm a learnin :) ).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know or have the toque specs for the suspension bolts? I just want to make sure I install this correctly. Also, brake bolt torque specs would be nice too. I have an 08 and there is no manual yet.

Austin

^^ Hmm, good question. I recall the old Impreza (struts all around, contrary to the Legacy) were like 12 foot-pounds for the strut top nuts. Lots of people used to torque the bejeezus out of them, and snap them.

Old thread bump, though. :D

Does anyone know or have the toque specs for the suspension bolts? I just want to make sure I install this correctly. Also, brake bolt torque specs would be nice too. I have an 08 and there is no manual yet.

Austin

See this thread for details on suspension torque values:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5757&highlight=rear+strut+torque+specs

From that thread:

Rear torque specs:

1) Upper shock bolts - 22.4 ft-lb

2) Strut rod bolt - 41 ft-lb

3) Lower shock bolt - 118 ft-lb (ugh!)

Front torque specs:

Upper mount nuts - 14.5 ft-lb

Strut rod nut - 41 ft-lb

ABS/Brake bolts - 24.5 ft-lb

Lower strut bolts - 112 ft-lb

IMO, both this thread and the other thread I linked to should probably be stickied for future reference. I relied on both for my installs two years ago.

• 3 months later...

Swifts, Pinks & iON are made to fit with the Bilstein HD & SpecB top hat. I would appreciate opinions on which of these springs would be best suited for a 05 Wagon that is a DD, sees snow, fire roads & does long family trips. It seems like lots of folks like the iON as the best mated spring for the Bil HD and a more compliant ride. Opinions & feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Swifts, Pinks & iON are made to fit with the Bilstein HD & SpecB top hat. I would appreciate opinions on which of these springs would be best suited for a 05 Wagon that is a DD, sees snow, fire roads & does long family trips. It seems like lots of folks like the iON as the best mated spring for the Bil HD and a more compliant ride. Opinions & feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Out of those 3?? Probably the iONS...

Would not recommend Swifts for fire roads, long trips etc.(they are nice springs IMO but more suited for strictly performance oriented driving). Dont know about the pinks.

I was looking for a good all around spring before I found the Eibachs, and was seriously considering the iONS (although I do not have the Spec B tophat).

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Cheers,

Mike

I don't understand why you mention lowering springs and "snow, fire roads" in one sentence.

As far as Ions go, they are some crap springs that rust after one winter and I don't get why anyone woud bother with them when there are better options available (e.g. Pinks or Swifts).

I don't understand why you mention lowering springs and "snow, fire roads" in one sentence.

As far as Ions go, they are some crap springs that rust after one winter and I don't get why anyone woud bother with them when there are better options available (e.g. Pinks or Swifts).

I mentioned those springs because I thought those were the ones typically listed for mating up with the Bilstein HD. I didn't think the Ions and Pinks lowered the car that much with the SpecB top hats but that is also why I am asking. I was not aware of the Ion lack of longevity and appreciate that feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

unclemat: do you actually have iON's? I've had mine since '05 on my LGT Ltd Wagon and see winter elements as well as salt and grime and they're not rusted "crap" springs as you claim they are. My Bilsteins have more corrosion on them in 2 years then the iON's of almost 5 years.

mbcracken: you may want to ask those with iON's on their LGT Wagons on their opinion. There's many folks with iON's and the Bilstein HD's. Here's one of the many reviews -> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70734

I don't. I helped replace a set on my friend's LGT. Also I rode in a couple of cars with stock strut and Ions and the combo was absolute crap. Probably more function of the stock dampers, still the worst combo I experienced.

unclemat: interesting.. having had Swifts and Pink's as well on my LGT Ltd wagon I've found that the iON's were definately the most compliant. The stock dampers are definately the culprit for crappy ride, after the Bilstein's were installed it was a night & day difference.

I believe jondas has been rockin the iONs for quite a while. He would have a good opinion of the iONs.
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

Save for coilovers mate. I have the HD's and the ride over rough roads is average. I've tried standard springs, pedders, eibach and still the same result. Ride over sharp edge bumps is harsh. Too much compression damping I think.

Bilstein BSS is what I'm saving for. Japanparts list them but nil stock atm.

^ That's true. I have PSS'es on both LGTs. No comparison to any regular Bilstein combo and I tried many. Ask atc5, who recently upgraded to PSS'es from HDs.

Are you sure they are PSS's? Bilstein only list BSS's :confused:

Japanese name for PSS. BSS-KIT to be exact. These are indeed PSS, not PSS9 - damping/rebound not adjustable.

I don't. I helped replace a set on my friend's LGT. Also I rode in a couple of cars with stock strut and Ions and the combo was absolute crap. Probably more function of the stock dampers, still the worst combo I experienced.

Hey! One of those crap cars was mine! :lol:

It would take a very very long time for the surface rust to turn into anything other than that and compromise the springs. Having said that my Swifts (+Bilsteins) show no rust that I can see...3 years (i think) in May.

Archived