LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

And one more thing... while I love the ride and handling on Bilsteins, I hate the sagging rear and that could be a reason to go for coilovers....

My wagon handles great w/ the Bilstein HD/JDM LGT spring combo and the rear end isn't sagging--it's about the same as stock. My sole concern is that my front end is now higher than stock. With USDM struts and springs, the fender gaps were around 2.4"F/1.6"R. Now, they're around 3"F/1.6"R. A domesticated feline can now rest in my front wheel wells. :(

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading this thread with great interest and am about ready to have the HDs installed.

However, while looking at the parts I noticed the rear shock has just a small lip on which the lower spring seat (a separate part) rests. Perhaps I'm being a bit cautious but it seems a bit tiny for something that's supposed to carry that much weight/force. Yes, I did check the part #s per Bilstein's website and yes, I do trust their engineering.

Anyone care to comment?

Cleaver

I've been reading this thread with great interest and am about ready to have the HDs installed.

However, while looking at the parts I noticed the rear shock has just a small lip on which the lower spring seat (a separate part) rests. Perhaps I'm being a bit cautious but it seems a bit tiny for something that's supposed to carry that much weight/force. Yes, I did check the part #s per Bilstein's website and yes, I do trust their engineering.

Anyone care to comment?

Cleaver

that small lip is a C-clip which fits in a machined groove in the shock body and would take unbelievable force to sear/break it. not to worry. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I don't think mixing springs is a good idea. Use one set or another.

i think putting pinks on the front would be a good solution. i doubt there is a huge difference between the JDM GT spring rates and the pinks, especially in the front. if you do this the front will be a little lower than the back but it should look level because of how the fenders are cut.

by the way, I recently took a Spec B owner for a ride in my wagon with HDs & pinks. This particular spec b owner had JDM GT pinks on his spec B. And he owns his own shop and sells high end subaru suspensions like ohlins and KW. anyway, he liked my car so much better that his spec B that he put HDs on his spec B.

I keep telling everyone, that JDM GT Rev.C (=USDM SpecB) Bilsteins are bit soft. As far as the dealer (which we know who is that ;) ) is concerned, well he sells HDs....

What aspects of the HDs did he like better than the Spec B struts?

Tom

well i don't want to put words in his mouth, but he basically said the spec b struts are softer. we just took a short drive down a divided highway with some nice dips in the road. the dips cause the whole car to drop suddenly. the HDs react quicker and handled the dips better. apparently with the spec b struts the car takes longer to react and go back to normal.

well i don't want to put words in his mouth, but he basically said the spec b struts are softer. we just took a short drive down a divided highway with some nice dips in the road. the dips cause the whole car to drop suddenly. the HDs react quicker and handled the dips better. apparently with the spec b struts the car takes longer to react and go back to normal.

Did you also ride in his SpecB? What are the differences in your perspective?

...I just ordered mine and I am having myles put it in next week...along with kartboy endlinks for the front and rear (polyurethane bushing) vs. Cusco's ball bearing joints (squeeky and noisy)...when he drove the car he said it sounded like drums! Blown stock strut, warnout tophats and metal to metal endlinks...Ill let you know how I like the HD's! ;)

CK

i think putting pinks on the front would be a good solution. i doubt there is a huge difference between the JDM GT spring rates and the pinks, especially in the front. if you do this the front will be a little lower than the back but it should look level because of how the fenders are cut.

I'm considering doing pinks front w/ the JDM GT rears. My guess is also that the spring rate difference between JDM GT and STi is probably minimal, with the primary difference being ride height.

Edit: USDM LGT spring rates are 3.6 kg/mm (200 lbs/in) front/5.4 kg/mm (300 lbs/in) rear, versus 4 kg/mm front/6 kg/mm rear for the STi pinks. My guess is the JDM LGT springs are probably closer or almost equal to STi spring rates.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks,

Just had my Bilstein HDs installed last week followed by an alignment 2 days later (with about .8 degress negative camber at the front). Now that I've had a chance to drive the car I can echo everyone else's comments of WOW! This is how it should have been from the factory! Dive, squat, and initial sway are virtually gone, and the ride has become sporty to firm, but definitely not harsh. I came from a BMW 330i (obviously a better handling car, but the Legacy suits my needs better) and the Subie is now comparable.

For the record, I have a 5EAT wagon (with IPD/Rallitek front and rear bars), and I'm using the stock USDM springs. There were no fitment issues and I did need to use USDM Spec B upper strut mounts and dust caps, but no additional parts were necessary. The ride height seems to have increased slightly (perhaps a bit more in the front than the rear - didn't measure it), but aside from aesthetics this doesn't bother me since I use my car on gravel TSD rallies.

If you're considering it, do it!!!

Have fun,

Cleaver

Hey folks,

Just had my Bilstein HDs installed last week followed by an alignment 2 days later (with about .8 degress negative camber at the front). Now that I've had a chance to drive the car I can echo everyone else's comments of WOW! This is how it should have been from the factory! Dive, squat, and initial sway are virtually gone, and the ride has become sporty to firm, but definitely not harsh. I came from a BMW 330i (obviously a better handling car, but the Legacy suits my needs better) and the Subie is now comparable.

For the record, I have a 5EAT wagon (with IPD/Rallitek front and rear bars), and I'm using the stock USDM springs. There were no fitment issues and I did need to use USDM Spec B upper strut mounts and dust caps, but no additional parts were necessary. The ride height seems to have increased slightly (perhaps a bit more in the front than the rear - didn't measure it), but aside from aesthetics this doesn't bother me since I use my car on gravel TSD rallies.

If you're considering it, do it!!!

Have fun,

Cleaver

:needpics: btw good for you. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Having run Bilsteins w/ WL Control springs & then Bilsteins w/ OEM springs I can say that using softer/longer-travel springs with the firm Bilsteins is a better match across most road surfaces.

Indeed, I also run WL antiroll bars front & rear (set to max-stiff) and roll is hardly an issue. Soft springs FTW!

glad to hear the stock springs are working out for you. i'm sure it's a very good ride with them.

Must have a crazy raised front. Bilsteins were not designed for the front stock spring's length.

Pic?

Well I'm sure the ride height did increase slightly (maybe 1/2"?), but I didn't measure before or after, and it's probably better that way for me as I occasionally take the car on gravel.

There does seem to be a slight "negative" rake to the car, but no, the nose is not pointing skyward. Attached are a couple of small pictures. Again, these are with stock USDM springs on US-available Bilstein HDs (from Shox.com).

Thanks,

Cleaver

bilsteina.jpg.b0338ff317ad5f074fc3f172760421eb.jpg

bilsteinb.jpg.90313de8706ccce6c04d249fbb5d47f9.jpg

Well I'm sure the ride height did increase slightly (maybe 1/2"?), but I didn't measure before or after, and it's probably better that way for me as I occasionally take the car on gravel.

There does seem to be a slight "negative" rake to the car, but no, the nose is not pointing skyward. Attached are a couple of small pictures. Again, these are with stock USDM springs on US-available Bilstein HDs (from Shox.com).

Thanks for sharing! I used JDM LGT wagon springs, as opposed to the USDM LGT springs you used, and my front is about the same height as yours (roughly 1/2 inch higher than stock USDM LGT), but my rear is lower, roughly the same as USDM LGT stock. It looks like yours is more even than mine.

Bosco,

I'm definitely getting the Bilstein HD's when I plan on replacing my stock struts @ 60k or sooner. I just got my H-Tech's installed today and that should tide me over for now. :D

That said I'm glad to hear that the stance on the car with the H-Techs vs. The Pinks is about the same since I'll most likely re-use the H-Techs.

Bosco,

I'm definitely getting the Bilstein HD's when I plan on replacing my stock struts @ 60k or sooner. I just got my H-Tech's installed today and that should tide me over for now. :D

That said I'm glad to hear that the stance on the car with the H-Techs vs. The Pinks is about the same since I'll most likely re-use the H-Techs.

i think the stance should be the same as you have now when you decide to go to the Bilsteins just follow post #1 only use your H-Tech's. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived