LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

the car still "rides" with the same firmness as before.:rolleyes: i'm smart enough to know sway bar bushing will not affect ride but i guess i'm not smart enough to describe in words that you experts will understand. :lol: i'll try again, before with the HD's and Pinks when you hit a moderate bump or series of bumps in the road you could faintly hear the suspension as if something was loose/worn even though i checked and all was well. after installing the bushings there is no noise it's buttery smooth but still very firm so to me this means the quailty of the ride is much improved. as far as the wear factor of the urethane bushing only time will tell if there is a problem i will buy new ones or even the greaseable ones, not a big deal. i have not had experience with this kind of bushing so i can't comment on them other than they are working and i highly recommend them. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more telling review of the bushings wil be in 6-9 months after going through a couple of weather seasons.

No one has ever kept them in after using them in other cars I've been associated with, and I don't see why these woud be any different.

you'll be the first to know. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

^^ +1

The more telling review of the bushings wil be in 6-9 months after going through a couple of weather seasons.

No one has ever kept them in after using them in other cars I've been associated with, and I don't see why these woud be any different.

Unless the driver is deaf, and then they would never know!!

I've had them in for a year+ now.

^^^^ And?

Or do you keep them greased enogh to keep them relatively quiet.

Even with frequent lubing, it would drive folks crazy.

Now, one solution was to wrap the bar with a silicon or teflon tape (I think it was called Sylglide, or something like that....I have forgotten the details) and that worked. Most went to the hard rubber TPR bushings that worked as well and were quiet.

Ron

^^^^ And?

Or do you keep them greased enogh to keep them relatively quiet.

Even with frequent lubing, it would drive folks crazy.

Now, one solution was to wrap the bar with a silicon or teflon tape (I think it was called Sylglide, or something like that....I have forgotten the details) and that worked. Most went to the hard rubber TPR bushings that worked as well and were quiet.

In the winter, they're noisy but still on the car. Grease fitting helps but I have wrapped them with common teflon tape and lubed them too. Drives my wife crazy but then everything about my mods drives her crazy. Doesn't really bother me.

I just installed Bilsteins HDs with JDM LGT wagon springs on my USDM LGT wagon this weekend. I was seeking improved dampening and slightly firmer, more controlled ride and handling without lowering the vehicle. So far so good. The occasional rear floatiness associated with the stock USDM LGT suspension is gone. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I just installed Bilsteins HDs with JDM LGT wagon springs on my USDM LGT wagon this weekend. I was seeking improved dampening and slightly firmer, more controlled ride and handling without lowering the vehicle. So far so good. The occasional rear floatiness associated with the stock USDM LGT suspension is gone. :)

Didn't lower it at all? Would you care to share pics?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Some really great info (and a few gut busters as well ;) ).

Is there a list of parts for this mod somewhere?

Sorry rao, couldn't resist. :lol: :lol: ;)

Cheers!

-Ian

Didn't lower it at all? Would you care to share pics?

It didn't lower it a bit. In fact, the front seems to be about 1/2" higher due to the JDM tophats not sticking up as much above the mounting surface. The rear is almost exactly the same as it was before. The slight increase in front ride height has made the stock rearward tilt even more apparent, which is the only downside so far. I'll try to snap some pics one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...
It didn't lower it a bit. In fact, the front seems to be about 1/2" higher due to the JDM tophats not sticking up as much above the mounting surface. The rear is almost exactly the same as it was before. The slight increase in front ride height has made the stock rearward tilt even more apparent, which is the only downside so far. I'll try to snap some pics one of these days.

Do a search on or ask Bosco or Unclemat....I think you can add some spacers or something to jack up the rear a bit.

Do a search on or ask Bosco or Unclemat....I think you can add some spacers or something to jack up the rear a bit.

measure from the rocker panels on a level surface front and rear to see what the difference really is. i haven't done it but i have heard of members putting an extra rubber spring seat in the rear to level the car. part numbers are here if you search. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Yeah, I know about doubling up the rear rubber spring seats. I'm thinking instead of putting pinks on the fronts only or, alternatively, going w/ pinks on front and rear and running two rubber spring seats on the rears.

Yeah, I know about doubling up the rear rubber spring seats. I'm thinking instead of putting pinks on the fronts only or, alternatively, going w/ pinks on front and rear and running two rubber spring seats on the rears.

I don't think mixing springs is a good idea. Use one set or another.

your positive you didn't re-use the USDM tophats?

Yes, I'm positive. It would have been lower with the USDM tophats because the USDM tophats stick up higher into the engine compartment. The JDMs ride higher because they don't stick up as much into the engine compartment.

Yes, I'm positive. It would have been lower with the USDM tophats because the USDM tophats stick up higher into the engine compartment. The JDMs ride higher because they don't stick up as much into the engine compartment.

Quit spreading misinformation. The height in front has nothing to do with the top hats. See the faq (sticky).

Quit spreading misinformation. The height in front has nothing to do with the top hats. See the faq (sticky).

Sheesh, I'm not intentionally spreading misinformation, nor am I trying to question anyone's expertise. I'm merely speculating. My car now sits approximately 5/8" higher in front w/ the JDM LGT springs and JDM top hats. Perhaps it's the used JDM LGT springs I purchased. Perhaps it's something inherent to the HDs. I have no idea. It simply sits higher in front now. :confused:

I'm not the only one. See hifiandmtb's posts in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71076

When converting his Australian 2.5i wagon to Bilstein HDs, he had to get his OEM springs lowered 13mm to get the same ride height as before. I believe the Australian wagons run JDM tophats, so that probably eliminates the tophats as the culprit.

No worries. Most likely you have AT specific springs. But even with MT specific springs Bilsteins and JDM springs position car lower in the back with respect to front. It's annoying and I don't know the reason for that. One explanation could be different rear trailing arms. I eyeballed them and can't see difference, but in order to verify this theory one should put cast iron and alu arm side by side and measure. Interestingly all Bilstein equiped car in JDM (both GT and SpecB) come with aluminum suspension pieces.

When converting his Australian 2.5i wagon to Bilstein HDs, he had to get his OEM springs lowered 13mm to get the same ride height as before. I believe the Australian wagons run JDM tophats, so that probably eliminates the tophats as the culprit.

Bingo. Top hats have nothing to do with it. KYB (stock) strut has lower spring perch located lower than Bilstein - that's why spring of the same length will lower the car in front more (almost an inch) when put on KYB vs. on Bilstein.

And one more thing... while I love the ride and handling on Bilsteins, I hate the sagging rear and that could be a reason to go for coilovers....

Archived