LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

I am planning on doing just about everything Crook is doing. I am not to worried about camber plates, whatever adjustabilty comes stock is fine by me, do I still need tophats? What kind of a drop will you be getting? What other parts are needed to accomplish this swap? Thanks.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you dont want camber plates then you should be able to find the part numbers for the top hats in this thread. look around from the beginning, might take a little bit but I know they have been talking alot about the part numbers for the top hats. Im almost about to do the same because finding the parts is turning out to be near impossible.

Okay here are the pics. I have put together a brand new strut assembly as I wanted to take my time. I installed everything by myself with hand tools (no power tools here) so I was really exhausted. Front installation was quick and straightforward. The rear lower nut & bolt was a @#(&*^@!!!!:mad: I even broke my ratchet so I had to run to Sears for a new one.

Here are the parts & PNs.

Bilstein HD struts aka B6 (PN: VE3-B830 H0, VE3-B831 H0, BE5-B832)

STi Pinks for BP MT (PN: ST 2033021010, ST2038021010) - both F&R had 2 orange dots.

JDM/USDM Spec B Front Tophats (PN: 20320AG000) - bosco's PN is different but either one works.

Front Spring Seat (PN: 20323AG000)

Front dust cap (PN: 20326AG000)

Rear tophats (PN: 20370AE000)

Rear rubber spring seat (PN: 20375AE000)

Ride quality - As I have mentioned earlier, it is very similar to unclemat's Spec B Bilstein w/ pinks (we even have the same JDM RSB). The car feels much planted taking corners. Dive/squat is greatly reduced under braking/acceleration.

• 1 month later...

Why does FBP mention "spacers/washers" in their listing? IIRC, you don't need them.

I've got all the parts ready to put the Bilstein HD's on my Outback. Should be pretty fun! I'm using the HD's with JDM Spec-B Rev-C wagon springs. I'll probably make my own "saggy butt" spacers, just in case the rear sits a bit lower than I want. I'll also replace the studs with grade-8 bolts.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump. And thanks for posting that link to the other thread - I'd not heard of those bumpstops, from RCE. Sweet. I just PM'ed them to ask about some prices on installing HDs, for me.

Just had some new struts put on my wife's '01 OB wagon, so it's time for me to re-focus on my car. Well, after we get some stuff done with our house. :D

Archived