LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I see some people are re-sealing the headlights with the silicone sealer and others just reheat the original glue. How has the latter worked for you guys and does anyone think that it's a bad idea. I really wouldnt want to redo this because of foggy headlights. I intend to do this mod tomorrow using the silicone sealer (because I'm too impatient to wait for responses) but what do you think?

I see some people are re-sealing the headlights with the silicone sealer and others just reheat the original glue. How has the latter worked for you guys and does anyone think that it's a bad idea. I really wouldnt want to redo this because of foggy headlights. I intend to do this mod tomorrow using the silicone sealer (because I'm too impatient to wait for responses) but what do you think?

I would do both just to be sure.

I actually put the orange reflectors back into my headlights. I did paint the chrome trim around it black though. It does change the look of the corner of the light now.

The cleared headlights on my white car just look too plain for me.

i added some silicone when i did mine- so far just my right headlight has gotten some condensation 1 time- and thats going thru numerous rainstorms and hand washes........i guess the angle the water went in had an effect.....weird

Well, my first mod is complete. Everything is back together and looks good, but we will see. For what it's worth, I reheated the old sealer in the oven before reassembling the lights AND added new silicone. I will post pics (black sedan) when I get a digital camera for christmas...hopefully.

One thing to note for those who are about to attempt this: There are clips on top of the bumper just behind the headlight bucket. You have to press down on the top of the bumper (i believe) and more or less wiggle it off. I don't remember reading this in the write-up and it took me a while to figure out why the darn thing wasn't coming off.

Using the oven is waaay easier than a heat gun. I should have recommended that before you did the mod. 250 for 20 minutes and it comes apart like butta! It's good that you heated them up in the oven before you put them back together.

Hope you like the look!

• 2 weeks later...

No fogging/condensation/leak issues, yet, and this is after both numerous hand washes (with the nozzle'd garden hose flushing directly onto as well as around the headlamp housing) as well as various forms of precip we've endured here in NE-Ohio over the past few months.

I do have two sets of holes drilled into the back of my housings, though - both used for passing wires.... Neither seem to have led to induction of water, and I'm actually wondering if they are somewhat helping with respect to preventing condensation/fogging by equalizing temperature gradients?

In any case, I've opened my headlamps a total of 3 times - no additional sealant was ever used.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So for you guys using the mirror colored bulbs that turn orange when your lights are on at night they look the same as always because those bulbs just light up orange? I'm assuming then that the effect of clearing, getting rid of the ridiculous orange color, is totally lost at night?

-T

^ In the vast majority of states and locales in the US, an amber turn signal is required, by law.

Depending on how rigidly your local enforcement of such codes may be, using a clear/"white" corner flasher is often even more attention-getting, as, of course, you're using non-standard illumination (versus a non-standard, i.e. "absent," reflector).

Thus, if one chooses to go with non-amber front-corner/signal lighting, it is *vital* to take into consideration exactly how your local enforcement may view such mods - as well as take into account whether you travel frequently enough through other areas where such laws may be more strictly enforced.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wanting to do this mod but have one concern. I've got a clear bra over the front of the car, including the headlight lenses. I think I know the answer to this before I ask it but...what's going to happen to that film of plastic on the lens when it goes in the oven? I know that they use a heat gun to get the clear bra off but I'm not sure how hot they do it or for how long...or if you have to actually peel it to get it off. I'm not too concerned about the clear bra itself as it's not expensive to get it redone on just the lights...I'm more concerned about it melting all over the place and ruining my lights and/or oven/cookie sheet.

Chris

ok and whats the best way to get the grille off the bumper??? and what u just throw the light on a cookie sheet?

Have you not read the step-by-step instructions starting in the very first post of this thread?