LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
gah need some help, having trouble taking out the headlight. its all out except for the power chord to the headlight bulb is connected to something? anybody know how to detach it? is this making any sense? lol

yies -

I'm uncertain exactly what your arrow is pointing to in the above pic. :(

However, I hope that what I describe below will help....

To remove the headlight assembly from the vehicle, in terms of wires/connections, it is easier to simply first completely remove the side marker/turn-signal bulb unit COMPLETELY. Just grab the twist-in connection for the marker/signal into the headlight housing, and un-mate it from the housing completely. This will net you the bulb, its mate socket, and the attached wiring harness all in one - carefully let-dangle on your car.

Now, there is only one remaining connection you need to sever/unplug. Trace the wiring harness/bundle from both your low as well as high-beam bulb/sockets. PER SIDE, they should trace back to ONE greyish "plug," near the upper portion of the headlamp housing, towards the middle. Simply unplug/disconnect this harness, and your housing will lift out.

Once you're inside and getting ready to bake, you can then pull both headlight bulbs, along with the remaining harness (there's a screw holding the harness in-place on your light housing, it's near the grey connector that you just unpluged - the rest of the wiring is held in-place simply via slip-fit slots).

-------------

Note to all -

I baked mine at appx. 285 deg. (F.), for appx. 8 minutes for the initial pull-apart. Using a pair of USGI Nomex "Combat Vehicle Crewman" gloves and while wearing jeans, I was able to easily set the base of the housing in my lap while simply using my hands to "grab-and-pull" apart the housing - with no physical discomfort.

To re-seal, I baked the housing again at 285 deg. F. for appx. 5 minutes, and again pressed-fit.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

thanks for the reply tsi+wrx. I was trying to describe a little black clip that holds the wiring down. It merely had to be pried off with a flat wrench. headlights were cleared! hate them pop-its! pics coming soon..

i'll be doing this mod this weekend

would it look good to black out the head light??

like spray paint the inside

btw, my leggy is WHITE :)

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Well.. It's offical... Removing lense reflecters violates federal code.

Title 67 Section 175.67 (d) (4) Table X and Title 75 and Title 75 Section 4524 (e)

I have just recieved a written warning from a local police department, that I have 5 days to change my headlights back to OEM. Otherwise my warning will turn into a citation, and eventually a warrent.

So to forgo all that trouble.. as i do not want to re-cook my headlights. I am putting my lens covers up for bid to the highest bidder... here is the ebay link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7994080763

Im not looking to make any money on this, just enough to cover the cost of new replacements as I do not have the time to re-cook my lense covers.

Title 67 Section 175.67 (d) (4) Table X and Title 75 and Title 75 Section 4524 (e)

I have just recieved a written warning from a local police department, that I have 5 days to change my headlights back to OEM. Otherwise my warning will turn into a citation, and eventually a warrent.

So to forgo all that trouble.. as i do not want to re-cook my headlights. I am putting my lens covers up for bid to the highest bidder... here is the ebay link.

Im not looking to make any money on this, just enough to cover the cost of new replacements as I do not have the time to re-cook my lense covers.

You oughtta just borrow another member's headlights, pass your inspection, then put your cleared ones back on.

For a more long term solution, I was thinking about getting some IS300 front markers and installing those on my bumper.

+1.

Trade for some legal versions with another member, pass the inspection and then trade back...

The odds of you getting busted again for the same thing might be pretty slim, unless you have cops in your town with nothing better to do...

We used to do that in the Honda community all the time, trade mufflers, headlights, etc.

OR go to a local inspection shop that will pass you regardless if you slip them some dough... wait- did I type that out loud?

Forget that- I've NEVER had to do that before:lol: ;):rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Legacy05 -

Yes, always preheat - just as with "real" cooking. :)

My oven is electric, but gas would do just as well. Even, relatively low heat is what it's all about, and a conventional oven does just fine, gas or electric.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

wouldn't it be cheaper and easier for all parties involved if you just offered a trade with another member who was moderately local and wanted cleared lenses?

Nope.. What sucks about this whole deal is that I was workin on the police departments computers, and my car was the only one left in the parking lot (long day). Just so happens that an officer who knows the codes by heart was on duty.

No speeding here.. at least no tickets yet.

Im in lancaster but I cleared them already. Sorry

That sucks... what did the cop say and were you on the circuit? Also, were you pulled over for "cleared" lights or for speeding or something and then they noticed the clearing?