LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carcand,

Sylvania SilverStar turn signal bulbs are available for our application at your nearest automotive parts retailer, and are "chrome/silver/ion" when off, amber when on. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

What kind of glue do you use to put them back together? Where from?

there is tons of glue left over from when you take the two halfs apart. Just reheat it with a heat gun and push the two parts together. If you're still worried, apply a little silicon afterwards to seal it up.

Well, this is my next task as I just purchased the Halo's from RPM. I'm sooooooo glad this forum exists 'cause I don't think I would really know where to start otherwise. Thanks for ALL the awesome walkthroughs and personal experiences.

CJ

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

Did this yesterday.

Used 285F @ 8min to unseal the light

Took out the reflectors, painted the lights gloss black, added some clear silicone in the cracks, and then pushed it back together as much as possible

Then Used 285 @ 5min to remelt the glue

Took them out of the oven and pushed them back together as hard as possible.

I ended up buying the silverstar rainbow colored bulbs that blink orange becuase i couldn't find any that were silver and blinked orange. If anyone wants to trade their silver to orange for my bluish rainbow to orange send me a pm.. probably would look good on a regal blue legacy.. not black like mine though.

The hardest part had to have been getting the popits out of the bumper behind the fender liners.. those were absolute bastards. Seriously leave yourself plenty of time, took about 8 hours going really slow.. could probably be done in an hour if you knew everything you were doing.

Before and after pics later

Sorry to hear that.

I went back and looked at Rex's 5/6/7 posts referring to the gold bolts, but it looks like you got to muscle them off. I don't believe there is any special trick to it.

Best of luck to you though.

No tricks - these should come right-off.

Either you're teh weaksauce (just kidding :)), or they're over-TQ'ed by the 600-lb. gorilla in IN. :(, or they're cross-threaded :( :(.

I would try to *very carefully* (I don't like the idea of overspray on our polycarb lenses) spray a bit of penetrating oil (note, NOT WD-40, that's NOT penetrating solution!) on these bolts, letting them sit for about 10 to 15 min., and attacking them again.

Best of luck!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Well, thanks to a local member that I called I now realized that I was a complete idiot. I started using a phillips head screwdriver and have been using one for everything. As I got to the gold screws I could not take them off. I was then suggested to use a 10mm ratchet wrench and had absolutely no idea why I hadn't used one. Within minutes I had everything off and ready to bake.

how'd the rest of the clearing go?

I dont know how I would have fared if I had attempted to do this on my own the first time i did it. Being able to take of the bumper and get everything out and seperated with the help of a few members at one of the Install Meets made life so much easier.

This is definetly one of those projects where it's nice to have someone who's done it before around to help out. - however at the same it's not so overly complicated that it can't be done alone. Thankfully thier are tons of resources on this website to help out.

']Guys I cant see all the fuss OZ spec is already clear from factory with amber globe just need to change to silver with amber indicator...:) :)

JDM also come cleared.

I think that this is what put the idea in our heads. We saw how much better it looks on the non-usdm cars and went out to modify ours to achieve the same look.

• 3 weeks later...
just got the chrome/amber bulbs in the mail. if it ever stops raining up here in NY I'll put them in & put up a pick. The chrome seems kinda dark but we'll see how it looks. It's been raining here in NY for about 7 or 8 days now nonstop & heavy. All those people who kept worrying about a drought can STFU now. every time people start yappin about a drought we get these deluges (sorry, off topic I know)
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

• 3 weeks later...

johhyg113 -

Look up the "Bulb Guide" stickied in the Technical sub-Forums. ;)

As for the bulb - it's very easy to get Sylvania SilverStar turn-signal bulbs in this application.

• 3 weeks later...

once people have installed the lights on the car again has anyone had trouble getting the housing in straight so the light lines up the way its supposed to with the road, or is this not a problem with this mod?

-T

^ Should not be a problem - the housing is held in-place via braces that are bolted to the front-end structure. Displacement should be minimal, assuming that you didn't "He-Man bend" the braces somehow! :)