LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

if one were to paint the housing black, what type of paint would you recommend, and what part is being referred to as the housing exactly. sorry if this seems like a dumb question.

I think the housing refers to the chrome outlining located inside of the headlight assembly. When you pry apart the headlight assembly after heating it up, the chrome colored housing I think is screwed in. So you need to unscrew it, take it out and paint it.

Read this thread -> http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384488&highlight=headlight+cleared

It is pretty similar to the Legacy's and it also shows pictures of the housing painted black.

Another thing: To get silver colored turn signals that blink amber, all you need to do is spray paint the stock amber signals with high temperature silver spray paint (a light coat) and that should do the same job as buying a pair of the silverstars.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well how about in the inside of the light that was my greatest worry before I jump into the mod

no, no deposits there, looks normal from the inside, you'll also have to apply the silicon closer to the outside rather than the in.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cleared my headlights yesterday -- they look great. I used the Sylvania Silverstar bulb which looks bluish but flashes amber. One thing -- is it possible to buy new popits? They would be a lot easier to put back in than ones already popped.

edit: pics should work now

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ndbpc8/detail?.dir=4d42&.dnm=542d.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ndbpc8/detail?.dir=4d42&.dnm=9898.jpg&.src=ph

Thanks -- I took my bumper off again last night to make sure it was hooked back up correctly. If you look at this pic you can see the gap under the passenger side headlight. Well I took it off and found there is a metal flange type thing under the headlight the bumper sits on top of. I squeezed it over that, reattached all the popits (or most of them anyway) and now that annoying gap isn't there under the headlight. It probably wasnt't that noticeable but it would really annoy me.

Also - for anyone doing this mod - Peb Boys had silvervisions in the correct size (3157A I think) - for under $20. They told me 24.99 over the phone but only charged $18. They look bluish up close which is cool becuase it matches the color of the car.

car1.jpg.4c2aff347b75ec0a7b75a92568a16aef.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
It looks great on my black gt but...... I managed to get some of the sealent on the outside of the lens. Anyone have an idea how to get the stuff off? BTW, used Silverstars. I like being legal but don't really care for the bluish tint, just my opinion. Can't wait for silvaparts to come out with their grill. Should look very clean up front then.

Question for all of you that cleared out WRX lights and LGT lights: Are the LGT lights larger than WRX lights? I'm asking because someone might clear mine for me, but he said that the WRX lights barely fit in his oven, so he's not sure my lights will.

I would love to do that but it looks like I would break something. Maybe I just don't have enough trust in myself. On top of that I don't have a garage so I would have to leave my car under a carport in pieces which I don't feel comfortable doing. I know that is just an excuse but i would rather pay someone to do it for me to make sure nothing is damaged.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont have a heatgun so i guess i need to use my oven (scared as hell!!) so whats the best temp and for how long?? Also do i take all the wires and bulbs off for this? Im doing this now so can sobody tell me a.s.a.p. that would be cool:redface:

285 degrees for 8 minutes...

be sure you removed all the screws before heating

then after you open and remove the orange, put it back together as much as you can

heat at 285 for about 5 minutes and press the two pieces back together, put the screws back in... and enjoy.

take your time, work on a soft surface, like a towel.

never touch the inside of the clear plastic piece.

take your time.... and post pics, good luck

Thanks for the info!! Last night i sat in front of the oven holding my headlight and i just couldnt put it inside, anyway my girlfriend came home and saw what i was doing and now thinks im nuts! I think i'll have to wait for a heatgun.