LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

It may seem kinda weird but the oven is definitely the easiest way to do it. I tried both ways and found the heat gun method to be somewhat damaging to the casing of the headlights. I couldn't tell how how things were getting, so I would try to pry them apart when it wasn't ready and kinda warped the edges.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I absolutely love the look of cleared headlights. Unfortunately, I would not feel comfortable doing this myself. Only had the car 2 months and would hate to eff something up. Anyone near Poughkeepsie, NY that would have a few hours to burn and would do it for me? I would pay to have it done. I would also assist in anyway I could :D

Does anyone have the link to the thread with photos of cleared and painted (black) headlights? I'm close to doing it, but need to double check what to paint. Couldn't find it after a bit of searching. Thanks!

ask and yee shall receive..

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//IMG_0855.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//IMG_0856.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/tylerwayne//IMG_0857.jpg

-Tyler

Whew! Just finished clearing my headlights. Thanks for the write up. By far the hardest part was getting the bumber off and on and those damb push in thingys. If I would've known I would have bought a bunch of new ones, I think that could've save me some time. A one note. Did anyone notice that behind the housing there seemed to be extra holes for the torx screws? I think I saw two holes that did not have torx screws.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cleared my headlights this weekend. Been seeing a lot more of the new Legacys on the road lately so next up will be candy tail lights.

Suprised that no one has talked about this yet, but when you remove the orange reflector in there it leaves that center piece some room to wiggle around and such. It would be great if someone made a clear peice in the same dimensions as the orange. I just hope one of those clips holding that center peice in there never breaks off or I am going to be very sad.

I really like the look. I've been thinking about clearing my lights too. But it occurred to me that they may offer a purpose when our cars are parked. To bad we don't have a clear reflector that could be swapped out in place of those amber leanses. Just a thought....

Just cleared my headlights this weekend. Been seeing a lot more of the new Legacys on the road lately so next up will be candy tail lights.

Suprised that no one has talked about this yet, but when you remove the orange reflector in there it leaves that center piece some room to wiggle around and such. It would be great if someone made a clear peice in the same dimensions as the orange. I just hope one of those clips holding that center peice in there never breaks off or I am going to be very sad.

Someone mentioned that before..they said something about hotgluing it I think.

-Tyler