LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

Just cleared my '06 last night. Looks good. The car is silver and I like that monochormatic look! Now I gotta get the silvervision bulbs. I'll try to post pics if any one's interested in seeing it on a silver GT. Just don't know how to do it!

Thanks for the directions....

any pics? i have a silver gt also and may or may not clear mine. Did you leave some amber in there?

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VTGT: No I didn't leave any amber at all. I bought some silvervision bulbs to replace the yellow but haven't put them in yet.

WRXLVR and VTGT I'll try to get some pics posted this evening if I can figure out how to do it. Or I can email to you directly.

I think it looks sweet even with the yellow bulbs in there still!

for anyone who cares ---- a year and a half after clearing my headlights with no problems --- suddenly i've got moisture in my drivers side light...

has anyone else had this happen after a long period of not having prolems??? I'm not sure if my seal just broke down or what happened, but hopefully i'll see how moisture got in there when take everything apart.

for anyone who cares ---- a year and a half after clearing my headlights with no problems --- suddenly i've got moisture in my drivers side light...

has anyone else had this happen after a long period of not having prolems??? I'm not sure if my seal just broke down or what happened, but hopefully i'll see how moisture got in there when take everything apart.

yeah, me too, drivers side too. I pulled it off & resealed it with some extra silicon & so far so good. I will say that alot of cars get moisture in the headlights at some point. My friend's 02 grand am & my sister's 05 tahoe both have a fogged up headlight. It probably is the seals breaking down coulpled with the fact that you (like me) broke the seal once before.

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Still no condensation, and it's been probably a good year and three months since I first opened mine.

Not sure if this may have to do, also, with the fact that I've got two extra holes per-side on the back of the housing, allowing venting and/or equalization. ?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Mine have no condensation after over a year but I went overboard with extra silicon. Now I did el3ments lights last weekend and we didn't add any silicon and his drivers side got condensation too...not looking foward to taking his car apart again.

Mine have no condensation after over a year but I went overboard with extra silicon. Now I did el3ments lights last weekend and we didn't add any silicon and his drivers side got condensation too...not looking foward to taking his car apart again.

j00 didn't call again :(

:lol:

^ I have added no sealant to mine - and I've had my sets apart, I believe, 3 times....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ I have added no sealant to mine - and I've had my sets apart, I believe, 3 times....

wow your're special you're the best :lol:

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

^ LOL! :lol: By *no means* is that even remotely true.

I believe the sealant/glue issue to be one of (1) luck, (2) how much we each had from the factory, and (3) whether or not some dust was encountered during the bake-and-crack procedure.

For example, I helped brother praedet crack open his housings, and one of them saw moisture ingress after but a few weeks. We thought that it might have been due to the fact that we'd generated some airborne plastic dust when we had to dremel his headlamp housing for a complete-optics HID-retrofit....

I'm definitely not perfect. :)

Also, there's the two extra holes from my "aborted project" as well as halo rings to take into consideration. It just may be that I'm not getting condensation because I'm allowing equalization to ambient at a much faster rate than with the stock-sealed units.

No gross moisture ingress, though! ;)

^^good for you, you rock!!!!!!

j/k. it's all just luck like you said. I just cleared my friend's headlights last weekend & I made sure to put extra extra silicon on his so hopefully he wont have a problem

^ No no, bro, YOU ROCK! :lol:;):p:)

---

No, seriously:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for y'all, too. It just seems like this is one of those things that "may go wrong" with our mod'ed cars.

Gaskets and "T"s and headlights, oh my! :)

Well, I took the dive about 3 weeks ago and love the results.

Earlier this year, after owning the car for 5 years, I finally cleared my Audi S4's headlights, after which I obsessed about the Outback's lights every time I walked past it.

There are several things I'd change about the instructions in this forum, because as a first timer, I got hung up on a couple items. But it all went fine, and took about 6 total hours (with lots of interruptions.)

Since I had some time constraints, I wasn't able to perform a black-out, though, which I think would look great with the black paint. But now that I've done this project, I may still do this when I have access to the car again for a couple days.

Thanks for all the info in this thread and thanks to all the people who said it was easy - if not for such posts, I would have probably chickened out.

P1050414.thumb.JPG.d1bdda446d7811dc9e6267d22117e82e.JPG

P1050412.thumb.JPG.43004b0f5f14742214a190ef369b6e9c.JPG

P1050415.thumb.JPG.064811dfb73fc635d4fa8dfc5229ec83.JPG

P1050423.JPG.451fc27d4b8fc90262ddaf5239c7b396.JPG

P1050422.JPG.3edfbc51b5821c529c1a559a665b3b60.JPG

looks sharp with the 06 style full-chrome lights/black OB, nice job. if you go for another removal for the blackout, it'll go a lot faster, but you'll have a lot of masking to do -- you probably know this, but: choose mask wisely or the chrome will peel away with it when you're removing it (i used electrical tape [very, very carefully] in favor of masking tape, as the glue felt less tacky and the masking tape tested poorly in an inconspicuous area -- it worked very well).

good luck, and nice lineup^ :)

not had any problems with mine, including a front end collision in January. but i also used extra sealant just to be sure.

what sealant was that?

TurboAWD - what portions of the instructions would you change? Looks great by the way! And the S4 does too!!!

underpowered - what about painters tape? How do you think that would do for masking off?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Underpowered:

Thanks for the kind words. You're right about the necessary masking work, which I realized once I the headlamps apart. I was hoping that upon disassembly, the parts needing to be painted would be totally separate from those staying chrome. That would have made the job quite simple.

But I just didn't have time to do all the masking work, which meant it was a project for another day.

GatorGT:

As for changes to the instructions, the main things I remember thinking could have been improved on were:

• Since this was something I was doing for the first time, I would have appreciated more & clearer pictures and a bit more insight into exactly what I was looking at as I pulled things apart. In reading many of the follow-up posts, I saw other people questioning some of the same things I was. Such as the point when you're removing Torx bolts - I was expecting something to be coming apart at this point, but it's really something you're doing to prepare for when the lamps are coming out of the oven and you're pulling them apart.
  • I was also very worried that the instructions were missing additional directions telling you to remove all the wiring from the assemblies prior to tossing them in the oven, but as I learned, that is not the case, and the wiring stands up to the heat just fine.
  • Finally, again speaking as a newbie to doing such work on this car, a bit more details on the way the headlamps are held in would have been nice. Since I just pulled the lamps from my Audi a couple months before, and there's only two bolts holding each lamp in that car, I just didn't get what I was looking at until, with the bolts removed, the big metal bracket under the lamps began dropping away.
  • Finally, the instructions regarding how the grill is held in could use some more details. I broke several of the tabs on the upper part of the grill as I "finagled" it loose. As I put it back together, I realized just how "overkill" Subaru made this, as those upper tabs primarily lend some support to the grill, while the bolts on the ends are what really hold it in.

Bear in mind, these are really just nitpicky things and I'm by no means criticizing the fellow that posted these instructions. I like to think I'm pretty meticulous about things, but I'm not sure I'd have the patience to not only tackle such work, but to photograph and describe each step all to post on a forum such as this. So I'm extremely thankful to those out there that take the time to do so.

Quik note IF you are going to paint the crome portions of the headlights, as I did, to get that smoked look, be sure to scuff the plastic or you will find that the chrome will come through not suttle haze of crome but an all out spot that will not take the paint. Just a note. GOD am I dumb.