LegacyGT.com

Headlight clearing (w/pics)

Ah,

The lower clips come out pretty easily if you slide thethe lower part of the grille toward the radiator as the clips are underneath (x3) and come out horizontally, not vertically.

Tough to explain, but easy to figure out when you are actually in the grille-removal process. Just give 'er and she'll slide free.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious if anyone else running around w/cleared lights for a while has run into problems with the law.

I'd hate to have Chuck Norris roundhouse kick me in the face for having cleared headlights.

not yet..

my big concern is passing safety inspection this summer.

I found that I like the look of the corners too and put them back.

yeah...............me too.......wanna help me put them back in??

Just kidding:icon_bigg

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've never had any issues with the police and I've had em in for over 6 months. I run white bulbs too, with no orange whatsoever.

My only complaints with clearing is that it looks nakid in there now and if you look close enough you can see the holes where the oranges were mounted. I'm still waiting for someone to make a clear reflector same size and shape of the orange one. I think that would look nice.

Curious if anyone else running around w/cleared lights for a while has run into problems with the law.

I have had clear turn signals/headlight housings on every vehicle I've owned (err... or leased) since ~1998 - E36 M3, B5 S4, WRX, STi, and LGT. I have never had any problems with law enforcement, although I've always used amber/yellow turn signal bulbs.

-Mike-

• 1 month later...
well, i just got my 06 headlights to clear yesterday. i was dirt tired and didn't start working on baking them til about 10 pm. i knew i should have just done them another day, but the body shop wanted to put the car back together today so it was a must do now project. i was already dragging from the previous night's 4 hrs of sleep so..... needless to say, since i had done this about 4 times before didn't bother to double check the times and temps for the oven method. so my brand spanking new $300 headlight got cooked and melted so now i have to use the old housing from the 05 headlight and swap out the inards from the 06 headlight. at least it's better than a total loss, but still makes me very unhappy with myself. aside from a really nice long burn on my arm and bruises from falling down the stairs.... :(
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Oh no!!!! :(:(

My friend, I'm so sorry to hear! :(

Out of curiosity, what temp and how long?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Oh no!!!! :(:(

My friend, I'm so sorry to hear! :(

Out of curiosity, what temp and how long?

Do NOT use 400 and 8 mins! that's WAY TOO LONG!!!!! i think that it's more like 250 and 8 mins? I think I'll use a heat gun the next go around. lol. oops! let's just say hubby wasn't so happy when I destroyed the $300 headlight. good thing i can still salvage parts to it so it won't be a total loss.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Yikes! 400 deg. F.?

Definitely a no-no....way, way too hot.... Maybe for a much shorter period of time, but that, I'd imagine, would also not "thaw through" enough of the goo.

It's definitely between 250 and 300 deg. F. I tend to favor the hotter end of the spectrum. My mods were done at about 285 deg. F., 8 min. for opening, 5 min. for re-sealing.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, Anyone know where to find DIY bumper removal instructions for the 05 OBXT? Or know if this legacy GT bumper removal instructions would be relevant to my upcoming task of clearing the obxt's lights?

Also feedback from anyone on the Perrin Rear Sway? I saw on a thread somone stay away but did not say why and now can't find it to ask. GIA

• 4 weeks later...

hey i had a question .. i'm in the middle of my clearing .. this is more aimed towards to ppl who baked their headlights

the wiring that leads into the housing of the headlights .. do we leave it in there while it bakes, or is there a way to take it out? these are the wires sealed in the rubber stopper

thanx

hey i had a question .. i'm in the middle of my clearing .. this is more aimed towards to ppl who baked their headlights

the wiring that leads into the housing of the headlights .. do we leave it in there while it bakes, or is there a way to take it out? these are the wires sealed in the rubber stopper

thanx

I'm sure you're probably done by now...but the wires that are attached to the housing I just left on there when I did mine...It's been about 6 months since and no problems