LegacyGT.com

Street Tuner/Access Tuner Race Discussion Thread

rao

It is likely the coolant temp compensation table. You need to put a wideband on it, to verify, but I feel your bucking is from the AFR's being too lean. and as the engine warms up, then the afr's richen up, and you have a smoother response.

DO NOT attempt to use the stock AFR readout, IT IS DEAD WRONG in these situations. I found this out long ago, when I had Nismo's, and the stock 02 read the afr's as 14.7-14.8, but my LM1 put them at 16.6-17.1:eek: This was really evident on cold mornings, and in warmer weather it quickly went away, as the coolant temp/engine warmed up faster.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do we have access to the coolant comp tables through some sort of update or patch? I'd really like to tune out the hickup I get on warm restart. When the car is stone cold it fires up perfectly. when it is hot it is fine too.

I get to it via Enginuity. These aren't available in ST, only to Protuner.

thanks.

are there any gotchas using that method? I assume the process is 1) dump everything to a base map 2) flash with Cobb's package 3) dump an image 4) modify the tables with enginuity 5) dump the modified image back to the ecu.

do I need to do anything special to the image to keep ST happy?

It really sucks that there are no trusted protuners in my area :(

I have been PMing with Edmund and wanted to post this here so everyone can see it.

I have been tuning my boost with the WGDC tables and run into a few problems. I would like more boost in 3rd without over boosting in 4th/5th. I find myself cruising a lot at highway speeds and over boosting. So I would like to understand more about the table called Boost Low-speed but there is nothing in Cobbs help or manual about it.

So what is it and how do you utilize it?

I have been PMing with Edmund and wanted to post this here so everyone can see it.

I have been tuning my boost with the WGDC tables and run into a few problems. I would like more boost in 3rd without over boosting in 4th/5th. I find myself cruising a lot at highway speeds and over boosting. So I would like to understand more about the table called Boost Low-speed but there is nothing in Cobbs help or manual about it.

I'm curious too - having individual WGDC and target tables for each gear would be a nice way to go about it ;) short of that it seems the WGDC table has to strike a compromise between building boost quickly (and getting enough of it) in lower gears vs. boost spiking in higher gears, but I've yet to see anyone use the low-speed table to adddress this. I'm not sure it will work since it's speed based - just where you want high boost in 2nd gear is probably where you'd also want less boost in 5th gear...

From what I can see the factory utilizes these tables to limit the amount of boost that is run in first gear...most likely some sort of transmission protection from 1st gear launches ;). This table is really only utilized on the STis, the factory does not use these two tables in any other model from what I can see. I know of some STi StreetTUNER users that set these values to work up to the top of 1st year (~28 MPH for them) and use a multiplier of 1.1-1.2.

Take care,

Christian.

From what I can see the factory utilizes these tables to limit the amount of boost that is run in first gear...most likely some sort of transmission protection from 1st gear launches ;). This table is really only utilized on the STis, the factory does not use these two tables in any other model from what I can see. I know of some STi StreetTUNER users that set these values to work up to the top of 1st year (~28 MPH for them) and use a multiplier of 1.1-1.2.

Take care,

Christian.

Thanks for the info Christian. I feel better now that I have never touched those tables :)

does anybody have the STU map from the cobb forums? i wanna try and build one for myself but since i have a 5EAT i cant use the one on the cobb forum.

screen shots of the map or cut/paste in excel would be greatly appreciated.

or better yet how about an official map from cobb for us 5eat guys.:spin:

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

I did a bit more testing of the DW740 injectors this weekend and found some interesting tuning quirks. I don't think the effects I noticed are limited to DW injectors, more likely they will be present with any large injector. It looks like the 1st order injector approximation (latency and scale) used by Subaru breaks down when the injectors get large enough. An additional 2nd order term is probably needed once the injectors get large enough. If I extract flow vs pw using only the 0th and 1st order terms I end up with either errors at high flow or at idle. The computer's AFR trims are able to correct the error but there is a little annoying transient between idle and higher loads while the trims are integrating. Centering the value makes the transient tolerable but I ended up adjusting the terms to keep higher loads happy and fudged the bottom end with the intake calibration.

If the intake has ever been tuned on the vehicle, this quirk will never be noticed as both the intake and the weirdness at narrow PW get taken care of at the same time..... just something to keep in mind while chasing down weird fueling problems.

Does the street tuner software marry itself to 1 computer?

I plan on getting a new laptop and was just going to buy the software when it that time comes.

But i also need a new tune, and the shop i might use doesnt have a protuner license.

when you go to install the software, it asks you to connect the AP and it wipes the AP completely and adds some stuff to it. I do not think you can skip this step, so I am not sure how it works. I guess you can wipe the AP twice, just save your maps on laptop #1, and when you install the software on laptop #2, it will wipe the AP and you will need to put the maps back on it.

There is probably an easier way, but this is just my guess.

You can install the software on multiple computers, it is keyed to the ECU.

rao, have you actually done this, and know how? It would be good because I would like to be able to analyse data and so on without being confined to my laptop.

When I first got ST I bought a new laptop to dedicate to the car. Vista, however, proved to big a PITA and I went back to my faithful Vaio. However, when I went to install ST on the VAIO it made me do the whole AP uninstall, install, etc., all over again. ST seemed unwilling to merely install on the 'new' computer, refusing to advance beyond the said un-reinstall sequence. This led me to believe that not only was ST married to the ECU through the AP, but to only the one computer as well. This made me reluctant to try installing ST on any of my other computers.

Your thoughts?

rao, have you actually done this, and know how? It would be good because I would like to be able to analyse data and so on without being confined to my laptop.

When I first got ST I bought a new laptop to dedicate to the car. Vista, however, proved to big a PITA and I went back to my faithful Vaio. However, when I went to install ST on the VAIO it made me do the whole AP uninstall, install, etc., all over again. ST seemed unwilling to merely install on the 'new' computer, refusing to advance beyond the said un-reinstall sequence. This led me to believe that not only was ST married to the ECU through the AP, but to only the one computer as well. This made me reluctant to try installing ST on any of my other computers.

Your thoughts?

I have.

Here is a portion of an old e-mail from Cobb that tells you how to do it:

The ECU won't know if you've installed the ST on another computer.

When

we "marry" to the AccessPORT, we are simply setting the AP up to handle

StreetTUNER format maps. What you'll want to do is re-install v1.0.3.4

of the StreetTUNER on your new laptop. Allow the software to Marry

itself to your AP again. When it tells you that you need to flash a

Base Map on your ECU, ignore that step. It's already been done.

To complete this process there is NO need to unmarry the AP from the

ECU

or to reapply another Base Map to the ECU.

When you reconnect to your ECU using the ST and new Laptop, it will

download all your Realtime map settings. Save that as a file and you

can reapply them to any base maps you might have.