LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay TSB Now Available

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has anyone else had a problem finding the relay online? i tried genuinesubaruparts & 1stsubaru, all of the parts sites, and their search engines don't find the part number.

I'm got an 05 OBXTMT, so i think it applies to me.. because today, i turned on the car, drove it 100 yard, jumped out to drop off something, and the fans were ripping like mad.

has anyone else had a problem finding the relay online?

I purchased mine from subaruparts.com. Just put "82501AG120" into their search function. It says that it usually ships in 4-10 days, but mine shipped the day after I ordered it (had it shipped 2nd Day as I'm leaving town tomorrow).

Jamie at subarugenuineparts.com can get it for you, but you'll need to e-mail her.

-Mike-

I purchased mine from subaruparts.com. Just put "82501AG120" into their search function. It says that it usually ships in 4-10 days, but mine shipped the day after I ordered it (had it shipped 2nd Day as I'm leaving town tomorrow).

Jamie at genuinesubaruparts.com can get it for you, but you'll need to e-mail her.

-Mike-

Jamie is actually at subarugenuineparts.com.

Cheers!

-Ian

Got the ECM and the relay replaced today, but not the busted one. They just put some electrical tape on it. I think I'm going to go back and insist that they replace it. Incidentally, the paperwork has two relays mentioned on it: 82501AG120 and 82501FE010. Does anyone know what the second relay is?

TIA

jp

P.S. Also got my clutch pedal pad replaced today for the second time in 28k miles.

Got my car back on Monday with the new relay and new ECM installed and everything seems to be good now and its running great and everything was covered under warranty without any problems....Anyone that needs work in the Philly area Glanzman Subaru has been great the few times that I've had my car in there for work

So, the fan issue seems to be fixed.

But the next day after I got my car back i noticed that something was up with my headlights. The passanger side is only putting out about 50% of the light of the drivers side. And with DRL or lows on the highs are on..but only glowing...not realy "on". When I flip on the highs the passanger side is totally out. I thought maybe an odd bulb problem so I switched backt to my stock bulbs...same issue. I'm guessing they must have wired something wrong when hooking up my new ECM. Car's at the dealer again today. Tech took a look and said it's something electrical. The waiting game begins....

Update: Car needs a new ECM! Guess something got screwed up on install.

car is not done yet. they were to put the new ECM in today. they are telling me that some wiring melted or something and that is the cause of the headlights not working properly. i was running piaa extreme force 4700K bulbs which are only 55W like the stockers. i had them in since may and never noticed an issue until after i picked up my car last week....after the first ecm install. i figure they just installed something incorrectly...thoughts anyone?

btw...i swapped these out with the stockers just to keep warrenty friendly.

best part of all of this....i'm rollin around in a dodge caravan as my free rental.:lol: :lol: :lol: what a hunk of junk....no power...4 cyl...150hp. legacy is gonna feel like a rocket when i get it back....whenever that will be.

After 4 hours of waiting to get my ECU replaced and keys reprogramed and then realizing that one was not programed, to wait another 30 minutes to get it programed; " the tech didnt know how to program the keys, so he had to call a tech from SOA on how to". I can finally can say its all done, no more running fan, but I will never go back to Lehman subaru again.

Just had the TSB work done on my car today; no problems with the dealership. It was cool because they went ahead and ordered the ECU and Relay when I called to make the appointment; they didn't need to 'inspect' the car for the problem, first - so it was just one short appointment.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

It was cool because they went ahead and ordered the ECU and Relay when I called to make the appointment; they didn't need to 'inspect' the car for the problem, first - so it was just one short appointment.

SHOCKING!:eek:

That's a good dealership. Usually they want to see it for anything and everything.

Just had the TSB work done on my car today; no problems with the dealership. It was cool because they went ahead and ordered the ECU and Relay when I called to make the appointment; they didn't need to 'inspect' the car for the problem, first - so it was just one short appointment.

But is it the same dealership that refused to replace bearings under warranty because of aftermarket springs? That was very assine. WTF springs have to do with bearings.

Yep, it was the same dealership. Overall, they continue to annoy me. Right now we're also arguing about the $750 (!) they want for the 30,000 mile service. Parts & service are extremely expensive there, so basically, I'm only bringing the car there for warranty work at this point; I don't intend for them to make any more profit off me. Except for the wheel bearing thing, they've been awesome on warranty claims - I also had the center diff replaced once and an interior door handle replaced twice, and everytime they went out of their way to make me happy. As for the wheel bearings, I'm more annoyed with SoA for upholding the denial, than with the dealership itself.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Okay, have a e-mail in my dealership about the issue. I'm not sure what they are going to say considering the modifications I have made.

In case they deny my claim. Has anybody thought about other ways to fix this problem. $600+ for a new ECM is pretty much out of the question. What about setting your own temperture control and relay for the cooling fans. Seems it would be cheaper to do that than the ECM.

Okay, have a e-mail in my dealership about the issue. I'm not sure what they are going to say considering the modifications I have made.

In case they deny my claim. Has anybody thought about other ways to fix this problem. $600+ for a new ECM is pretty much out of the question. What about setting your own temperture control and relay for the cooling fans. Seems it would be cheaper to do that than the ECM.

My local dealer did not seem to care much. This is a known Subaru problem which seems to be covered regardless (assuming your mods were not to the fan relay:icon_bigg ).

They checked my VIN to ensure it could be one of the suspect cars and ordered the parts. No diagnostics required. Reading back, it seems others were able to schedule the fix over the phone without ever having presented the car.

I have an appointment tomorrow. I told them up front I have modified the car, I've been working with the service manager at the dealer for a long time -> three cars worth.

I'm just working on back-up plans if they say "no way."

I have an appointment tomorrow. I told them up front I have modified the car, I've been working with the service manager at the dealer for a long time -> three cars worth.

I'm just working on back-up plans if they say "no way."

Three cars worth? you should have already made connection with one of the technicans by now. I made sure to be friends with one of them, or slide a little "good looking out " $ under the table, just in casue warrenty issues came up about my modifications.

Archived