LegacyGT.com

Anyone have buyer's remorse?

It's crazy how many people are on new motors by 100K.

I guess you needed the AWD right? The TSX wagon would be a great option, not a wagon fan myself though.

I don't need the AWD. The first 10 years of driving I survived WI winters with either a civic or integra on snow tires, never had a problem.

TSX wagon is only offered with an auto and it's more $ than I care to spend on a car.

If they ever brought over 6-6 Accord wagon, like they need to, I'd buy one today.

I'm a Honda guy though. I still have a mint 01' gsr. 151k on it, original everything with zero issues ever.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those TSX wagons are hideous in my opinion. Rob the consumer report you highlighted is for the 2.5i which has multiple cat failures and O2 problems.

That being said these cars are not a N/A 4 cylinder Honda. It is a small displacement turbo motor. Motor and turbo failures were well documented in the wrx community before these cars came around. 90% of the time it was/is due to poor maintenance,tuning, and modifying the motor 70-100hp more at the crank then it was designed for. The semi closed ej motor has been around a long time.

Most people have little to no issues with these cars stock aside from standard maintenance and wear items. Drive the car be happy. If you have remorse then sell it and quit bitching! You think we have it bad go buy a high mileage BMW,AUDI, OR Merc.

Those TSX wagons are hideous in my opinion. Rob the consumer report you highlighted is for the 2.5i which has multiple cat failures and O2 problems.

That being said these cars are not a N/A 4 cylinder Honda. It is a small displacement turbo motor. Motor and turbo failures were well documented in the wrx community before these cars came around. 90% of the time it was/is due to poor maintenance,tuning, and modifying the motor 70-100hp more at the crank then it was designed for. The semi closed ej motor has been around a long time.

Most people have little to no issues with these cars stock aside from standard maintenance and wear items. Drive the car be happy. If you have remorse then sell it and quit bitching! You think we have it bad go buy a high mileage BMW,AUDI, OR Merc.

I know they wouldn't show me the GT motor option, but so we can end the Honda/Subi debate on turbo'd motors. Here's Honda's turbo motor... notice zero problems on any year. Telling me what I already know, the problem is in subi's tune.

But I'm not bitching so much as stating a fact. I opted to rebuild my motor because it was cheaper - paying for a wedding instead of buying a replacement car. I'm also not morally able to off load a failing motor onto anyone - dealer or the customer who buys it.

1910735496_8-29-20139-19-28AM.png.64c37d85c8adc54717af10d4cbca2cd9.png

Over the past two years my wagon has gained my trust, haven't had any issues since the new motor 20k ago. It's a solid car if you take care of it.

The issue on the used market is you never really know what condition the motor is in. If I were to buy another lgt, I'd find the one with the cleanest body/interior for the cheapest and just assume it needs a new motor and factor that into the purchase price.

I don't have buyers remorse, there still isn't anything else available for the $ like you get with the lgt wagon.

My motor was also replaced under warranty though. If I paid out of pocket for it I'd have a whole wagon full of remorse.

I bet stock for stock an 08 lgt and rdx are within 10% on motor reliability. Also rdx's are kid ferries and probably see a 1/4 of the abuse an lgt motor does.

That said Honda always builds a very solid motor. I would expect it to perform flawlessly that's why they have better resale value.

Over the past two years my wagon has gained my trust, haven't had any issues since the new motor 20k ago. It's a solid car if you take care of it.

The issue on the used market is you never really know what condition the motor is in. If I were to buy another lgt, I'd find the one with the cleanest body/interior for the cheapest and just assume it needs a new motor and factor that into the purchase price.

I don't have buyers remorse, there still isn't anything else available for the $ like you get with the lgt wagon.

My motor was also replaced under warranty though. If I paid out of pocket for it I'd have a whole wagon full of remorse.

That's great. We're still working out some bugs on the rebuild at my end.

If I factor in the time/cost to rebuilding the motor, it made the car less of a good deal for me. The fact is for $21K (original purchase + rebuild) I could have bought more car. Lesson learned at my end.

I'm the second owner of my 100k miles, stock, 2005 GT Wagon. My original intention was to buy one with a standard transmission like every other vehicle I've owned. But my old lady refuses to drive any standard shift vehicle I've owned for the necessary two week straight so that driving stick will become second nature for her. So I've had to live with the agonizingly slow shifting of the 5EAT for five years.

I've only had to replace the rear wheel bearings once . . . so far. Next week I'm replacing both rear window electric motors because they died. The Taupe leather interior is impossible to clean to a like new state but I'm still happier with it than the charcoal grey. The drivers seat is starting to show some serious wear where the seat back gets rubbed every time I get in or out. I find the driver's seat comfortable and like the electric adjustment.

I still appreciate the amount of storage space I have in my wagon and the foul weather capabilities with just a good set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS All Season tires. I like having seat heaters which are very common now and the windshield wiper heaters which are not. Since Subaru abandoned the Sports Wagon segment of the market I will probably look long and hard at the competition before buying another Subaru since I really don't want a sedan. But I haven't ruled Subaru out yet. Ideally I'd like a normally aspirated engine with at least as much performance but everyone seems to be going with turbos these days. My old lady keeps complaining about why I need so much performance. I probably should go buy a Honda Fit just to spite her.

I have the dreaded P0302 CEL and the mechanic has diagnosed that it's an internal issue and suggests a new shortblock to the tune of $5K. Nice to have to put a new engine in and spend $5K on a car currently worth only about 10k.

But it's been a great car that I've been thrilled with for 8.5 years now.... so sure I'm pissed at potentially having to shell out a ton just to get it back up to trade-in / private sale mode, but it's not the end of the world. The only thing that genuinely broke on my car in all those years was a clutch. And some noisy transmission bearings that were replaced under warranty 5 years ago.

I have the dreaded P0302 CEL and the mechanic has diagnosed that it's an internal issue and suggests a new shortblock to the tune of $5K. Nice to have to put a new engine in and spend $5K on a car currently worth only about 10k.

But it's been a great car that I've been thrilled with for 8.5 years now.... so sure I'm pissed at potentially having to shell out a ton just to get it back up to trade-in / private sale mode, but it's not the end of the world. The only thing that genuinely broke on my car in all those years was a clutch. And some noisy transmission bearings that were replaced under warranty 5 years ago.

After 8+ years, you should have a good build list for your new wagon. It's probably time to refurb the suspension and upgrade the interior, too. After that, putting 15k into 8k rpm engine seems pretty cheap. :wub:

It's gas guzzling. It's long. At stock, it's not as fast as most luxury sedans. It's plasticky to an extent. It doesn't have anything but ABS. It stutters from time to time. The 5EAT feels like crap in regular automatic mode.

But it has potential, and it has character. Every time I lock my car, I turn my head around to look back at it. My only regret was not haggling the dealer to give me free all season mats. Had to buy my own. It's like having a child. She's got problems, but you still love her. Had the same feeling about my old Impreza Outback, but it just had to go, and I just had to stay with Subaru.

That's great. We're still working out some bugs on the rebuild at my end.

If I factor in the time/cost to rebuilding the motor, it made the car less of a good deal for me. The fact is for $21K (original purchase + rebuild) I could have bought more car. Lesson learned at my end.

So what would you have or will considering getting in the future for a comparable price? Just curious, since i looked at every car out there before I got my '13 3.6R. I didn't want a Camry or Accord, and either the cars I looked at didn't have the features or power I wanted or the price was more than I was willing to spend.

So what would you have or will considering getting in the future for a comparable price? Just curious, since i looked at every car out there before I got my '13 3.6R. I didn't want a Camry or Accord, and either the cars I looked at didn't have the features or power I wanted or the price was more than I was willing to spend.

I can snag a 2012 TL SH-AWD with 25k on it for about $25-28,000. The IS350 AWD is nice too.

I want AWD so I don't have to put chains on the cars in the winter when we head up to the hills. We're buying the lady an MDX next summer and then I'll dump this car for the TL. The other option was a V6 RAV4. It's just not enough car. The Toyota land cruiser is a killer SUV too.

we keep looking at an Audi A6, however, the 76k price tag is a bit hard to swallow. We had a 2003 Acura TL-S - luv'ed it. Until the transmission went from 5th to 1st on the freeway. They had problems. The new Acuras are just ugly - that big chrome grill plate is something else, add in the blocky styling. However, to each their own.

If I had to replace the wagon, I'd be at a loss. It solves 90% of our non-commuting transportation needs (not for dump runs or racecar transportation). It hauls the dog, 5 people, a week's worth of luggage, and it's a great ride on the highway. It looks like a soccer mom car, so it's stealthy without the frumpiness of an actual SUV.

I can snag a 2012 TL SH-AWD with 25k on it for about $25-28,000. The IS350 AWD is nice too.

I want AWD so I don't have to put chains on the cars in the winter when we head up to the hills. We're buying the lady an MDX next summer and then I'll dump this car for the TL. The other option was a V6 RAV4. It's just not enough car. The Toyota land cruiser is a killer SUV too.

Yeah I want AWD as well. TL for $28k and low miles not bad. No SUV for me and not a Lexus fan.

we keep looking at an Audi A6, however, the 76k price tag is a bit hard to swallow. We had a 2003 Acura TL-S - luv'ed it. Until the transmission went from 5th to 1st on the freeway. They had problems. The new Acuras are just ugly - that big chrome grill plate is something else, add in the blocky styling. However, to each their own.

If I had to replace the wagon, I'd be at a loss. It solves 90% of our non-commuting transportation needs (not for dump runs or racecar transportation). It hauls the dog, 5 people, a week's worth of luggage, and it's a great ride on the highway. It looks like a soccer mom car, so it's stealthy without the frumpiness of an actual SUV.

A6 not too comparable :) Too many people read:douchebags drive them around here. Course the fun Tesla people who can't drive them for crap around coming on in droves now. I'd take a nice Tesla over the A6. Too many VW issues in my past, no more for me.

CTS-V Wagon.

I solved my issues with the spec by giving it to my wife. She really likes it and it is more than enough to satisfy her requirements. Then I went out and bought my truck. Best of both worlds!

CTS-V! That's a lot of car as well. Price is...$$$$$$$??

Acura handled the tranny problem very nicely though. Giving everyone 100K warranty within the VIN range and working with people outside the 100K. That's pretty good PR in my eyes :)

Acura handled the tranny problem very nicely though. Giving everyone 100K warranty within the VIN range and working with people outside the 100K. That's pretty good PR in my eyes :)

Uh, that happened on the 2004 and up models. Not on the previous generation that had the 1st version of that transmission. Our car was in the shop more than out because of it.

Uh, that happened on the 2004 and up models. Not on the previous generation that had the 1st version of that transmission. Our car was in the shop more than out because of it.

Had a 2000 TL with the oil jet fix that didn't fix the problem. Replaced the tranny and on Acurazine well documented that gen of TL getting 100K tranny coverage.

Obviously, I would believe Acurazine over an owner. :eek:

Maybe you got a bad rub. My dealership informed me of the extra warranty handed out and replaced my tranny at 77K no charge.

But yeah, no need to believe acurazine. They're just a bunch of users like you and I. Man you really are annoying.

Archived