LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

Okay here's my late update. I went ahead and did the Hogzaust conversion a couple weeks ago and love it!:) My mechanic friend was able to loosen those stubbron bolts no problem and it sure helped that he's got way more tools than I do!

I ended up going with 2 thin washers for both side...2 thicks ones were just too loud. I may have to go down to just 1 thick washer once I install the up and downpipe, though.

Congrats man!

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any one ever notice that the car doesnt spool as quick after this?

i had to add spacers to the pipe with the springs (i always call this out as the wrong pipe) and it sounds Awesome - WRC style bubbley and such, but it seems to be about 3-400 rpm shy now.

doesnt seem to punch as hard below 3K any more, more of a gradual rise instead of a rocket boost like it did before.. Im going to experiment with it, as it seemed fine with 1 less spacer, but didnt have the same kind of sound...

First, aren't you talking about the midpipe? Why didn't you just put spacers where we're all putting them? I imagine that putting spacers there made your car ridiculously loud, being that I think you're talking about bolts that are only 2-3 feet from the turbo.

Also, anything letting exhaust out on a turbo car can only theoretically quicken spool IF anything at all. I'm pretty sure that the only way it could add lag would be on an N/A car because they depend on a certain amount of BP per their current mods/tune. IIRC, Our cars could run no exhaust back from the DP and be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering but is it possible the dealer void the warranty? Especially on the Exaus or Drivetraint? Currently, my stock Exaust is uneven; one side is lower than the other. I am scared the dealer is going to blame that on me that when I was removing the gasket, exaust bent or some bullshit stuff (It was bent a long time ago maybe since it came out of factory). I found some interesting things from the SOA website (http://www.subaru.com/owners/warranty/index.jsp?year=2006) under Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair or Unauthorized Parts section, it states that "warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to any unauthorized alteration or modification made to the car such as the removal of parts (This Hog-Zawst system) or the installation of parts, equipment or accessories or improper repairs or adjustments not approved or recommended by SOA." Since it is stated clearly, there is possiblilty that depending on the the dealer they are going to void warranty not only for the exuast but drivetrain also?

It only takes 5 minutes to return it to stock, so try that if you are that concerned about it.

The dealer would be more apt to deny your particular issue due to collision(bent) as not being covered by a warranty, then blaming a missing gasket and some washers.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

he is right, but you just don't know. I mean, if your going in for work - especially on that part that is modified, revert to stock - you likely will have to anyways, and the dealer may work on it.

stock = no probs. you saved your gaskets, right?

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

So, for safety I should put the gasket back before for the work? The other concern is when I have trouble on the drivetrain such blown turbo (which is a common thing), they might blame it on the washers on the exaust doing sth about the "pressure" blah blah if I goto to some a'hole dealers for emergency services. It really depends on the dealer, but I dont feel too safe doing this mod in terms of warranty. Just to clarify, all of my drivetrain and exaust system is bone stock.

If you are that worried about it, buy the SPT Cat Back Exhaust for it. It is a Subaru part and will never void the warranty.

With all mods, you gotta pay to play. In the highly unlikely event they tried to void your turbo warranty due to an exhaust leak at the mufflers, it was time to put on an AVO 420 turbo anyways. When something breaks, I will upgrade before I ever pay for OEM replacements.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

So, for safety I should put the gasket back before for the work? The other concern is when I have trouble on the drivetrain such blown turbo (which is a common thing), they might blame it on the washers on the exaust doing sth about the "pressure" blah blah if I goto to some a'hole dealers for emergency services. It really depends on the dealer, but I dont feel too safe doing this mod in terms of warranty. Just to clarify, all of my drivetrain and exaust system is bone stock.

It is highly unlikely that they would do such a thing.

I live the "0.1% chance is too great for me" lifestyle as well.

BUT, as stated further back in this thread, by law they have to prove that the part that was altered did (or at least could) have caused the failure (for your example's sake, the turbo).

If they can prove in court that $1's worth of washers between your pipes caused your turbo to fail, then we live in a way more corrupt system than I thought. If anything the increased flow and lower back pressure can only be better for a turbo, hence why the car gains horsepower completely on its own when you remove its breathing restrictions.

There's always a "CHANCE", but thats true with everything in life.

If your turbo goes and SOA voids its warranty because of washers; instead of leaving your car at the dealer for who-knows-how-long to get the snail replaced, see that as time and money lost while waiting, and take that time and money and throw in something better on your own.

Pay to play - pay to smile - have money in the pockets just incase you need to frown.

Ok. Thanks Bmac. I am not that worried about it anymore after the proving thingy. Not to hijack this thread but does anyone have or had problem with uneven stock mufflers (one side being lower than the others). I want to goto the dealer to fix this, but they might blame it on the washer like "when you are installing it, you bent it! you sucks!". In order to get the bent exuast fixed, I should probably get the washer out? Does anybody know mod friendly dealer in GTA?

I cannot speak for a mod-friendly dealer, but the exhaust fitment problem is pretty normal.

I'm unsure as of where, but I believe that people have taken the pipe's hanger, that is lower, and put it through the "middle" hole of the rubber hanger. (IIRC, it's not really a middle hole, its just an opening there). This should raise the pipe the height you need.

Give it a try. If not, any exhaust shop should be able to heat the weld on the hanger and adjust its height accordingly.

It is highly unlikely that they would do such a thing.

I live the "0.1% chance is too great for me" lifestyle as well.

BUT, as stated further back in this thread, by law they have to prove that the part that was altered did (or at least could) have caused the failure (for your example's sake, the turbo).

If they can prove in court that $1's worth of washers between your pipes caused your turbo to fail, then we live in a way more corrupt system than I thought. If anything the increased flow and lower back pressure can only be better for a turbo, hence why the car gains horsepower completely on its own when you remove its breathing restrictions.

There's always a "CHANCE", but thats true with everything in life.

If your turbo goes and SOA voids its warranty because of washers; instead of leaving your car at the dealer for who-knows-how-long to get the snail replaced, see that as time and money lost while waiting, and take that time and money and throw in something better on your own.

Pay to play - pay to smile - have money in the pockets just incase you need to frown.

BMac - good advice. However, just one small thing to keep in mind: the OP is from Ontario, Canada. While the Magnusson-Moss act is great for the US, I'm not aware of a similar law in Canada. There could well be. But, in 25 years of living there, I didn't hear about it. Heard about M-M plenty. Would love to know if a similar law exists in Canada..

HV

yeah, its always "dis-provable" but in my situation, they would have to prove the door lock mod cause the BIU to short causing my dome light issue. Its a 700$ part, but theres not way I could try to bring that to court to disprove it and make them repair it under warrenty. Some battles are just to costly to fight unfortunetly.

BMac - good advice. However, just one small thing to keep in mind: the OP is from Ontario, Canada. While the Magnusson-Moss act is great for the US, I'm not aware of a similar law in Canada. There could well be. But, in 25 years of living there, I didn't hear about it. Heard about M-M plenty. Would love to know if a similar law exists in Canada..

Yeah, I actually never heard of the similar law in Canada. Beside, as only some Canadians are aware of, now Ontario Police can go around the street and catch any fart can Vtec ricer if they want to and give them a fine from 2k to 10k along with suspension of driver's licence for one week. This is due to the new law that enables police to stop the "Street Racing". Basically, even though you weren't even stepping hard on the gas around the cop, if your car looks like its modded for "Street Racing", they can give you a fine and suspension of license which will be in record. Just by looking at this anti-streetracer movement going on up here, its less likely that dealer would not be an a'hole and void every kind of warranty possible from the 4 washers in the exahust. :lol:

Another nice story

It looks like the abuse of this law already started.

Today in Belleville(Thurlow), Ontario a man in their early twenties popped a wheelie(consider to be illegal or "stunt riding") on their four wheeler in an empty field and fell off and hurt himself. The police showed up and charged rider under the new "street racing" law because the field had public access and did not have no trespassing signs(meaning private property, rider was not on own property). The rider had their four wheeler confiscated, license revoked and 2k for hurting themselves in an empty field!

• 2 weeks later...
^ Listen to MR catback exhaust with a catless uppipe, HFC downpipe, and a tune. I think your opinion might change after that. Once you go stage 2 and include pretty much any aftermarket exhaust, you hear a difference....anyways, but back to topic, I am hogzausted for the time being until I can afford CBE. And its sounds nice.