LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

Bump for stage 2. I think it'll be more of a novelty thing for me for a few days, but I'm almost certain to go back to stock. I liked the louder exhaust with my WRX. But it doesn't seem right with a 5EAT LGT.

It reminds me of my WRX, though. *sniff*

Back to stock here. It was fun for a day, but up north here I couldn't bear the thought of salt and grime getting into the pipes in the winter months.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps. But I don't need to give it direct access in. I should at least make the salt and grime work for it. ;)

It's pretty difficult for salt to go backwards into your pipes. Enough water and condensation already goes in and sits around in your mufflers just from normal driving anyways. I'm honestly not worried about my pipes rusting from the inside out. If they do, in probably 10 years or so, I'll at least have a reason to switch to an A/M mid&y-pipe setup. :)

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

You every drop a washer into your pipe....do it, then turn your car on - and just that 1500 RPM will create enough flow to BLAST the washer halfway across the garage. Think about 7,000 @ 12 PSI - there aint notthing getting in, man. Oh yah, don't forget, it's really hot.
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

You every drop a washer into your pipe....do it, then turn your car on - and just that 1500 RPM will create enough flow to BLAST the washer halfway across the garage. Think about 7,000 @ 12 PSI - there aint notthing getting in, man. Oh yah, don't forget, it's really hot.

Agreed. But to each his own.

Had mine on for approaching 2 years now. I took them off to try stage 6 (yah, I know...it sounded like poo) and there was no real corriosion, even living in Iowa.

You leave those washers on there throughout the winter too? I'd like to give it a try but with snowboarding season quickly approaching...

You leave those washers on there throughout the winter too? I'd like to give it a try but with snowboarding season quickly approaching...

Snow,

Honestly, there really isn't any harm over what you're already doing (aka leaving it stock). Hog is right that the pressure going through the pipes is not going to ingest water backwards. The salt vapors that get in are already getting in through your stock/closed setup anyways.

Once exhaust is flowing through that joint, it has pressure going that way and is only pushing outwards, not inwards.

It's REALLY only a 10 min modification. If you want to take it out before winter, grab a wrench and do so. It's worth it.

Yeah there's a chance, not gonna lie.

The pipes and flanges are exposed to the salt already, as is the muffler. Like I said before, puddles of water sit inside mufflers anyways; when condensation builds of from quick trips and muffler doesn't get hot enough to evaporate.

Im honestly not worried about it. I don't think that the minute gap will do any more harm than my previous winter just did already (BEFORE I installed Hogzawst).

Like I said, throw it in! You still have a few months before they start salting roads. If you're worried, take them out. It'll take 10 mins out of your day.

Okay you've convinced me. I swung by the hardware store yesterday and picked up some stainless washers. 3/8 right? But I think with only 2 washers stacked the gap will be very minimal.

Here's a silly question, what size rachet would I need to undo the bolts?

3/8's is correct, 12mm rachet, you will be surprised how much of a space those two little washers will make.....of course that in comparison to what its going to sound like....I get asked all the time if my exhaust is aftermarket

I will soon be converting to an aftermarket CBE though...my power is somewhat restricted with the stock cbe

it's a 14mm socket. On mine, at least! And yes - 2 washers will work good. Just be sure you are not using the SUPER thin washers. Use the ones that have some good thickness to them. I'm thinking at least 16 gauge thickness - skip on the 22gauge washers - or use 4 of them.
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

Hmm...I gave it a try yesterday and I thought it was 14mm? Anyway it was a no-go since the stubborn bolts wouldn't budge (as expected). So I'm heading over to my friend's later on tonight to use his air gun muhahaha!

But damn I noticed the position of that top bolt sure is cramped...I have no idea how you guys managed to get enough space to work on it. Oh well I'm sure my friend will figure it out for me since he's a master mechanic.:D

Hmm...I gave it a try yesterday and I thought it was 14mm? Anyway it was a no-go since the stubborn bolts wouldn't budge (as expected). So I'm heading over to my friend's later on tonight to use his air gun muhahaha!

But damn I noticed the position of that top bolt sure is cramped...I have no idea how you guys managed to get enough space to work on it. Oh well I'm sure my friend will figure it out for me since he's a master mechanic.:D

Try working on your car lowered.....:lol:

any one ever notice that the car doesnt spool as quick after this?

i had to add spacers to the pipe with the springs (i always call this out as the wrong pipe) and it sounds Awesome - WRC style bubbley and such, but it seems to be about 3-400 rpm shy now.

doesnt seem to punch as hard below 3K any more, more of a gradual rise instead of a rocket boost like it did before.. Im going to experiment with it, as it seemed fine with 1 less spacer, but didnt have the same kind of sound...

This doesn't make sense. If you've changed nothing else on your car, adding washers to the exhaust downstream of the turbo and cats should make very little difference. Most of your backpressure is provided by the turbo and cats. The limiting factor in turbo spool (other than the turbo itself) is usually the up-pipe cat.

It may be a difference in perception rather than reality. With stock exhaust, the Leg GT is so quiet you don't really hear how hard the engine is working. When you have a little aural feedback, you probably subconsciously hold back a little, because you can hear the engine working.

Just my 2 cents, trying to think it through logically.

any one ever notice that the car doesnt spool as quick after this?

i had to add spacers to the pipe with the springs (i always call this out as the wrong pipe) and it sounds Awesome - WRC style bubbley and such, but it seems to be about 3-400 rpm shy now.

doesnt seem to punch as hard below 3K any more, more of a gradual rise instead of a rocket boost like it did before.. Im going to experiment with it, as it seemed fine with 1 less spacer, but didnt have the same kind of sound...

Putting washers between your exhaust flange and muffler will not cause a difference in spool. You might hear the spool at lower RPMs, but it won't change speed.

these guys are right. perception and enviromental changes. Is it a little hotter? A little more humid? Maybe your IC was a little more heatsoaked from you "revving" it to hear the sound??

Only thing i can think is that the way I did it (washers on one side..none on the other) Cause some kind of internal turbulance - course, it could just be that it was sitting for a 20 minutes while i did it, then went to drive and the IC was much hotter than before / other times

Seems fine in 1st, thrashes me back like being launched from an aircraft carrier. 2nd though felt more sluggish - which i noted again today, until I realized that the AC was on cause of the defroster :p

Okay here's my late update. I went ahead and did the Hogzaust conversion a couple weeks ago and love it!:) My mechanic friend was able to loosen those stubbron bolts no problem and it sure helped that he's got way more tools than I do!

I ended up going with 2 thin washers for both side...2 thicks ones were just too loud. I may have to go down to just 1 thick washer once I install the up and downpipe, though.