LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

Guest Gitster
The damn dealer saw my hogzaust mod, removed the washers (and denied their existance) and charged me for installing the gaskets and tole me they replaced a gasket up near the cat.

I noticed immediately but the dealer was closing, so I went back the next day to complain, the service rep said to bring it back in a week or so and they'd put it back the way I had it, but they lost the washers. the mechanic was a prick and continued to deny the existance of the washers. They probably fell into the pipe and got lodged in the muffler somewhere.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat ??!? Crazy dealers, what a bunch of idiots.

I hope you didnt bring your car in for service saying you thought there was an exhaust leak :hide:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^^^Stick a potato in it? :lol: :lol:

The only adverse effect I could assume would be that the diminished back pressure would register at the ECU. But that wouldn't void your PT warranty.

Take the 10 mins to "back to stock" it before going to the dealer, they often have the politics of a modern day government.

Better safe than sorry. :)

Luckily, my dealer has not said anything about my Hogzawst. However, the SM did say some really nice things about my shiny 3" full length catted DP.

Go figure;)

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

• 2 weeks later...

anyone do hogzaust with an axleback? (prodrive)

i think i might try that. wonder if itll just sound like a regular hogzaust.

my oem muffler gaskets are in poor shape due to overtightening. might do the hogzaust until i can get more gaskets...

car for sale. PM me!

try it. it'll probably be louder than normal

Im assuming that it would depend on the pipes going to the mufflers. It would also be a little louder as SOME gases are still going through the mufflers as well.

<---- Wanna know how it sounds....

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I finally got around to doing this today. I've got to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected it to just sound like an exhaust leak, but it really does sound great. I did 3 washers on each bolt. I can't believe anyone would just do 1. I couldn't even tell a difference and 3 isn't even loud. I might even add another just to see. It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time. I quite like it.

I finally got around to doing this today. I've got to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected it to just sound like an exhaust leak, but it really does sound great. I did 3 washers on each bolt. I can't believe anyone would just do 1. I couldn't even tell a difference and 3 isn't even loud. I might even add another just to see. It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time. I quite like it.

Agreed. You have to realize that it is ONLY because of the turbo that it sounds this good. On a turbo motor, an exhaust leak sounds tolerable, whereas on an NA motor (ie: 2.5i model) an exhaust leak sounds like a Civic with a hole in the muffler. Be blessed for your turbo...

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Greetings to all. I've read a lot of this thread with interest. I have an automatic

na 05 legacy and today I tried the "hogzaust" method successfully. I used both 14mm + 9/16 sockets to remove the bolts, 1 of which I took to walmart with me to make sure that I would get the washers with the correct diameters. I paid 83 cents + tax for 15 zinc plated flat washers size 9.5mm (3/8"). I also bought a bottle of 3-in-1 oil which I applied to the bolt before remounting. I say bolt because I somehow managed to misplace/lose the 2nd bolt for now. I applied 2 washers on the driver side and I've taken several test drives to check it out. I even wrapped it out with the sport shifter several times 1st and 2nd gear. Of course (with due respects to those who have them) this is not a modestly priced or high dollar exhaust modification/upgrade used by tuners but, since my car is stock anyway, it will do for me. I'm familiar with the what I call "quiet rumble" of the various wrx sedan + wagon exhaust sounds and I've driven a Saabaru with a pretty loud but polite modified exhaust which I had throughly enjoyed. I intend to try with 3 and maybe 4 washers until I get/hear the sound I want for my car. I was at our local Subaru dealer early this morning, took a look at the 1st arrivals of the 08 legacys, and I took time to look under all the models on the lot. I note this method can be applied to any exhaust system that is not welded. I'm certain that many back yard mechanics/hot rod enthusiasts have been doing this for years. Nevertheless I thank hogmeat for his bringing this trick to our attention and I will certainly buy one of his decals once he starts selling them!! I have friend that when occasion permits talks smack about my subie. I think I pissed him off when I said his Corolla is not even in the same class for comparison with my car. I got his attention earlier tonight when I told I'm paying 830$ for an exhaust upgrade......OB-LC-TX

Good news: I'm back in the Hogzaust family :D

I was REALLY missing that rumble so I decided to modify the spacers I made so the opening is larger (bell shaped opening) and it fixed the idle crappiness while having no droning at highway speeds. :D

Exactly what mine looks like, except made out of steam boiler gasket material. I did bevel the edges at the exit into a more bell shape. Thicker is better, IMO. You lose more then 50% of your opening with this method, so I made it up by going thicker.

Good news: I'm back in the Hogzaust family :D

I was REALLY missing that rumble so I decided to modify the spacers I made so the opening is larger (bell shaped opening) and it fixed the idle crappiness while having no droning at highway speeds. :D

Aahhhhh.......

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I am starting to feel that my hogzaust isn't as burbly as it is a combination of burbly/anemic.. kinda hard to explain but it sounds a bit odd.

It's just the same as your Stage 2 not feeling fast - your used to it.

Remember when you first went S2? I do - it was awesome....

now it's slow...

just like my exhaust is quiet...even though passengers say differently

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

been at S2 for a while now think i might go to 2.5 or 3

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

what? Did you grind your exhaust pipes? Write up! Vids!!

NOW!!!

There is an incredibly realistic reconstitution thanks to futuristic imagery technology (yeah I know it sucks):

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/strabismo/Spacers-1.jpg

There is an incredibly realistic reconstitution thanks to futuristic imagery technology (yeah I know it sucks):

Nice work! When does full-scale production start? :)

Hog-zawst go hi-tech. i would buy

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Nice work! When does full-scale production start? :)

Never. I made it by hand from a piece of metal I found in the scrap metal bin at work and it turned out to be a total PITA because the metal was extremely hard. But it would've been defenitely easier if it was aluminium or a softer metal.

I'm pretty sure you can have it done for cheap at your local machine shop.

I considered that as well. I was going to use the gasket as a template and have a machine shop do something similar to what you posted. I doubt it would cost that much. I think if I don't buy a CBE, I think I might make one.