• Created
  • Last Reply

here's my correspondance:

RESPONSE FROM KONI

Yes we will have these in the near future - we are thinking by fall. The

part #'s will be 8610-1447Sport front, and 8010-1053Sport rear. The

front will be an Externally Adjustable Insert (inserted into the OE

housing) and the rear will be a Compress to Adjust shock. These parts

will not fit the Spec B as it is an inverted shock.

Any reasonable rate and height lowering spring will work with the

KONI's.

We do not sell direct so you would want to contact one of our

distributors for purchase.

Thank you,

Stoney Hamilton

Phone: 859-586-4100 x6

Toll Free: 800-922-2616 x6

Fax: 859-334-3340

RESPONSE FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER

Danny - I spoke with Koni this AM and here is what I found out:

The part numbers they list in the new 2007 application guide are not the correct numbers currently.

Fronts should be 8610-1447 Sport for $159.60 each

Rear should be 8010-1053 Sport for $147.00 each.

These are special order from Koni Holland, so an order placed today would not arrive until Mid-August.

Compress to adjust rear shock? Tell me this doesn't mean one has to fully compress the shock to adjust it. That's just plain silly. You would have to get five of your fattest friends to sit in the trunk whenever you want to adjust the rear shock if you don't remove it to adjust it. Say it ain't so!!!

I'd assume the front inserts would fit OB's.

But the rears would need to be removed to adjust. Ick.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Compress to adjust rear shock? Tell me this doesn't mean one has to fully compress the shock to adjust it. That's just plain silly. You would have to get five of your fattest friends to sit in the trunk whenever you want to adjust the rear shock if you don't remove it to adjust it. Say it ain't so!!!

This could be a deal breaker

:mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

The Koni web site sez, for both F&R:

"Externally adjustable by means of a knob or pin, the strut does not have to be removed from the car."

"The STRUT does not have to be removed from the car." The rear is a shock, not a strut for the LGT. Link to the part of the site you're looking at, please?

Edit: Never mind. I found a section on "adjustment" on the Koni site under "Technology." The compress to adjust shocks DO have to be removed to adjust them. Sigh. What a stupid way to do it. :spin::mad:

I have Konis on one of my other cars and compress to adjust means exactly that. You remove the lower mounting bolt (or the whole shock) fully compress it and then turn. I guess it engages the valve that controls damping when fully compressed, allowing you to make adjustments. If that is the case, damping changes will be a true PITA since the LGT uses a rear strut, making it impossible to change damping without completely removing the strut from the car and then compressing and removing the springs. Not something you want to be doing all the time.

"The STRUT does not have to be removed from the car." The rear is a shock, not a strut for the LGT. Link to the part of the site you're looking at, please?

The above quote was from memory. The actual verbiage and stuff as posted on the web site (http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=254) is as shown in the attached image.

And, from their adjustment section (http://www.koni.com/index.php?id=193) , it seems as though the 8610 and 8010 series have external adjustments, not compress to adjust. So it seems like there may be some some conflicting info with the person who sent the email...

KoniFinder.jpg.eff523a11e73e922b88e78abb0b27d3b.jpg

658292282_KoniAdjustments.jpg.c66260e14b0d2b66dfd7da92b5581ea2.jpg

I have the compress to adjust set-up on my other car and I really like them. You set them to match your springs and you are done. Using dampening to match track conditions, instaed of spring rates, is a bad way to do it at best...
:spin:

You'd have to adjust several times to match the spring rate until you got the dampening where you liked it. And if you did want to change the dampening from street to track, it would be a PITA. And as your shock ages, you'd want to stiffen it up as it loses its dampening ability. Again, PITA.

I imagine Koni will 'recommend' initial settings based on different spring rates and spring lowering levels (?) At least you have the chance to change settings which is not true for most shocks available for the lgt ( not talking coilovers here )

Archived