LegacyGT.com

Koni dampers for Legacy

OB Lee

Interesting. I have Ions and had been waiting for Konis as Jack (at Ion) had indicated that Koni was using the Ions as a basis for their development for the Legacy (if I remember this correctly). But.....couldn't wait any longer and bought the HDs.

I do find them firm....and firmer than I prefer. But I am 55 and bought and traded an STI because it was too harsh. Actually, the Ions and the stock struts were about perfect for me (until the struts wore out). The HDs are not far off from that setup but they are firmer .The car handles very, very well though, and I have enjoyed my spirited driving on all sorts of roads. But, something softer would work better for me I think.

If I had adjustable struts. I would adjust until I was comfortable and that would be it.

Will still be interested in comparisons from folks who have had several setups (and how varous settings on the adjustables compare to the various Bilsteins and others..).

The ride is still much better than the sti right? :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, better. Couldn't live with the STI. I can live with and enjoy this setup. I've only run with this for three weeks and I am still playing with air pressure. I think I will settle with 37/35 on the F1GSD3s...and then see how I do.

But, I really want to know how the Konis do because I am not above swapping the HDs for them. I considered the Tokicos but was a bit concerned about fitment...and even considered the $2K+ Ohlins but could not get past the cost...

Now, back to the Konis...if they turn out to be the perfect fit for the Ions, I could be convinced to switch.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Maybe...but not for now. I am enjoying the Ion/HD setup. The car handles extremely well - very balanced and planted - no floating, no bounce. I have a renewed LOVE for driving the twistys...and with speed and confidence.

But I feel every nuance of the road and though there is no jarring I wonder if the Konis would provide the same handling with a softer feel.

Until there is feedback on the Koni/ion setup, I'll continue to enjoy what I have...and make a choice about swapping once the feedback is in.

Now....about those Konis???

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Maybe...but not for now. I am enjoying the Ion/HD setup. The car handles extremely well - very balanced and planted - no floating, no bounce. I have a renewed LOVE for driving the twistys...and with speed and confidence.

But I feel every nuance of the road and though there is no jarring I wonder if the Konis would provide the same handling with a softer feel.

Until there is feedback on the Koni/ion setup, I'll continue to enjoy what I have...and make a choice about swapping once the feedback is in.

Now....about those Konis???

I'm jealous, my cars handling with ION's and worn out stock struts sucks!

25 days, paid extra for shipping and still waiting on the Koni's:(

I have not ridden in a LGT with Bilsteins, so I will not be able to compare the two. I am not going to set them at full soft, I plan to set them somewhere between a quarter and half way between full soft and full hard and start going to the autocrosses and track days I am missing out on. I may try them on full soft when I put my winter tires on.

yeah I'm in the same boat, ions + worn out struts, the handling has

almost become borderline nauseating... and there's no way I'm

buying stock stuff anymore, I really hope you get those konis soon

and post up your review (!) :D

Well, I'll be interested in the comparision between the Ion/stock strut (when in good shape) setup vs the Ion/Koni strut setup since I loved the former. I do think the car handles better with the Ions/HDs but at the expense of a stiffer and slightly harsher ride.

07 BMW 335xi

Vendor says I should have them this week and is reimbursing me for all the shipping charges since they could not deliver as promised.:)

I should have them installed in time to give them a good "review" at Road America on Aug 4th and 5th

Update - getting them tommorrow 7/26 ...... WooHoo!

If any can confirm these fit LOB's, send up a smoke signal....
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Started installing the rears tonight. The fronts are going to have to wait until this weekend. Got to head back out to the garage, but who can tell me what is not quite as expected?

Another thing: The lower rear bolt hole is the right size on a USDM LGT and they fit fine, no need to enlarge the hole.

P5290003.thumb.jpg.007051b29acd3d9c8a36ba4c5572076b.jpg

P5290001.thumb.JPG.326fcc73244997abf0ef7c1705f77f0e.JPG

P5290002.thumb.JPG.fc4a566ecfd3d505a3ed29e780ad73d3.JPG

Started installing the rears tonight. The fronts are going to have to wait until this weekend. Got to head back out to the garage, but who can tell me what is not quite as expected?

External adjustment on the rears. Noice!

Another thing: The lower rear bolt hole is the right size on a USDM LGT and they fit fine, no need to enlarge the hole.

[ATTACH]40471[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]40472[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]40473[/ATTACH]

Congrats man!

Congrats man!

Thanks,

Yes, the rears are able to be adjusted in the car. Two full turns from full soft to full hard.

Adjust.JPG.780cc3ddc5b183c88322bef0dc674218.JPG

Also, here a picture installed.........right before I realized I didn't take the dust boot off of the OEM shock. So I installed the passenger side once and the drivers side twice:redface:

519037175_dustboot.jpg.5da89654da3ec53b156782d108108590.jpg

nice. what springs are you using? it is me or does that adjustment knob for the rear look likes its hitting the body in the rear.

ION Springs

The knob is a close fit, it works fine for what you need. OEM Gromet/dust boot still fits and can be snapped back in after adjustment is made.

goodly ... thehe :D

I also have all the parts for a vf-22 sti swap waiting for me in

the garage and that's the way it'll stay for now ( wait )

since I'm so friggin busy at work and with personal

engagements :(

the konis on the other hand I don't mind slapping in there if

they're decent quality so I can't wait for the review on

them (!)

They look good. I'm jealous!!

Are you doing the front install yourself or taking them to a shop?

I'm doing the fronts, hopefully tommorrow. I'm also taking off the front LCAs off and to a shop to press in some Super Pro offset bushings for me.

Archived