LegacyGT.com

Koni dampers for Legacy

OB Lee

There is a reason Ohlins and Bilsieins aren't cheap. You get what you pay for.

Using that logic, Goodyear and Michelin tires would be the best because they cost more for comparable tires.

Back in another car group I was in, Bilsteins were a factory and repacement shock. They are fine, but overpriced a bit. Especially seem to be so for JDM Subaru parts. I agree with the previous comment about adjustability. Plus, with all else equal, I would pick Koni or Tokico (or even KYB AGX) over any Bilstein.

Ron

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:hide:

Using that logic, Goodyear and Michelin tires would be the best because they cost more for comparable tires.

Back in another car group I was in, Bilsteins were a factory and repacement shock. They are fine, but overpriced a bit. Especially seem to be so for JDM Subaru parts. I agree with the previous comment about adjustability. Plus, with all else equal, I would pick Koni or Tokico (or even KYB AGX) over any Bilstein.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Speaking of tires, Goodyears do not seem to be very expensive compared to other brands. Besides tires are not a good example, because each manufacturer has cheapo tires and expensive tires.

Sure, there are exceptions to "what you get is what you pay for", and some stuff may seem overpriced, but I find this rule very consistently true in most areas.

And about dampers... well, everybody is entitled to have their opinion.

hey unclemat, how does one source the Bilsteins? can they only be had used? (who sells them new/used? links?)

exactly which parts would i need for a LGT sedan if i got pinks/bilsteins?

(tophats,etc???) ive read the heck out of these forums and im leaning towards that combo.....

whats the avarage price for a used set of bilsteins? new price?

With just about every automotive supplier, what they provide for OEM is not the same product or quality as what they sell in the aftermarket, be it struts, tires, brakes, or stereo gear.

Agreed - I just hope Bilstein's OEM stuff is BETTER than their aftermarket stuff.

Have had TERRIBLE experiences with Bilsten HD struts, and to some extent, PSS9 coilovers.

Had the HD struts on a '90 GTI. Also know who I sold the car to, and who he sold the car to, etc. About every 2-3 years, struts leaked badly, requiring a replacement. After two replacements, place I bought from went out of business.

Had PSS9 coilovers for a Corrado VR6. Worked pretty well, but after ~3 years, one of the coilovers was leaking and needed to be rebuilt. Mind you, I did take the Corrado snow-ralllying and got airborne a few times, so I'm not too upset about that one.. On the other hand, they do advertise them as suitable for "a weekend of competition"...

But, my experience with 3-4 sets of Bilstein struts? Terrible. My brother-in-law says he had OEM Konis from VW in his ~'80 Rabbit, and they were great.

I think I'd prefer to give Konis a try over buying Bilsteins (as far as struts), regardless of their "stellar" reputation.

HV

Also remember, that adjustability is only worth it if you know how to setup suspension. Otherwise it's just one more thing to screw up on the car that'll just make you slower.

For sure, but the typical Koni insert setup (I don't know about Tokico's) adjusts for rebound only. There is a dial that has a range of about ten clicks. If the ride is too soft, it can be firmed up for more spirited driving in a matter of seconds.

I don't think that's as intimidating as a coilover that may offer rebound, compression, ride hieght, and spring preload adjustability.

I would recomend reading Koni's website. There is a ton of info about their products. They should be well worth the wait.

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

For sure, but the typical Koni insert setup (I don't know about Tokico's) adjusts for rebound only. There is a dial that has a range of about ten clicks. If the ride is too soft, it can be firmed up for more spirited driving in a matter of seconds.

I don't think that's as intimidating as a coilover that may offer rebound, compression, ride hieght, and spring preload adjustability.

I would recomend reading Koni's website. There is a ton of info about their products. They should be well worth the wait.

Oh no, I was referring to the mindset of some owners that coilovers are the *only* option for a suspension. The adjustability and rebuildable nature of the coilover is what you're paying for, not to just say you have coilovers. If you can't properly setup the coilover according to the driving conditions, or know someone who can do it for you, I don't really think it's a worthwhile investment; there are more bad coilover experiences that are attributed to improper setup than any other reason IMO.

Now Koni inserts are a pretty good middle ground in terms of adjustability while maintaining some OEM features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Also remember, that adjustability is only worth it if you know how to setup suspension. Otherwise it's just one more thing to screw up on the car that'll just make you slower.

Truer words are seldom said. It is very easy to make a genuine pearl into a genuine swine with suspension mods!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

To a point.

If you do track days, and live in the snow belt with very rough, frost-heaved and potholed roads, havig Konis and going from full Soft on the street to full Hard on the track only helps out the situation. I also had aluminum subframe bushings and full subframe connectors welded in, so I needed all the help I could get in the "softer ride" department!

Ron

I heard from Koni it will be early spring before anything happens. They were waiting for the final green light from Holland. I'm tired of waiting. Just bought some JDM spec b bilsteins w/ prova springs.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

• 3 weeks later...

Archived