LegacyGT.com

Koni dampers for Legacy

OB Lee

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
were the rears a special order to get them externally adjustable I thought you had to remove them to adjust them (?)

Mine are not special order, I thought the same.

I sat there adjusting the struts by hand off the car over and over again last night. Pushing and Pulling the piston to see if the dampening changed. I would "compress to adjust" the struts to full stiff, and then extend the strut and check if it was correct with the supplied knob. and loosen with the knob......check by compressing to adjust.......and so on and so on.

Alot of pulling on the shaft last night:lol::lol::lol:

Mine are not special order, I thought the same.

I sat there adjusting the struts by hand off the car over and over again last night. Pushing and Pulling the piston to see if the dampening changed. I would "compress to adjust" the struts to full stiff, and then extend the strut and check if it was correct with the supplied knob. and loosen with the knob......check by compressing to adjust.......and so on and so on.

Alot of pulling on the shaft last night:lol::lol::lol:

Can't wait for your review.

Koni does make shocks that have to be unbolted to be adjusted but these are externally adjustable. Still love mine.

I installed the Koni struts today on my car along with Super Pro LCA bushings. Along with the Koni’s and the Super Pro bushings the car has ION springs, Cusco front and rear sways, and 18x8 wheels with 225/40/18 Azenis 615’s.

The installation is the same as the walk thru I linked in post 313, so I will not bore you with another walk thru. Plus, I didn’t take any pictures.

- I was surprised to find the front struts made no mess, no spray when drilling the hole in the bottom of the strut. I guess there has to be more pressure left in them. The front struts had barely any life left in them.

- The ride. I drove about 1 mile with the front and rear set on the middle setting. Nice firm controlled ride, but a bit more than I wanted for the ride home so I backed the front and back to full soft and drove about 30-40 miles on them on a variety of roads. I believe Koni states these struts are 20% firmer than OEM at full soft and that seems about right, maybe 25% firmer. (Keep in mind this is a good OEM strut, not mine at 42,000 miles that were severely worn. *These struts do not ride as soft and plush as OEM new struts, and to me this is not a bad thing.

- brake dive and squatting during acceleration are both significantly reduced over OEM struts and ION springs. I quickly rode the clutch out for a 4000 rpm launch and it took off with very little squat with the struts set at full soft.

- I installed Super Pro bushings along with the Koni’s, NVH has increased some and I have no idea if it is from the bushings/ struts or both.

- I will be open tracking my car at Road America next weekend and I will post up my impressions on the several hundred mile road trip and impressions on the track when I get back. If anyone in central Illinois is interested, PM me and you can take it for a drive.

couple of questions:

- do you find that the Super Pro offset bushings have helped straight line stability?

- is the ride with the konis harsher than a stock wrx?

I had the rear shocks on for 2 days before I installed the fronts and the bushings. The stiffer rear shocks really helped with straight line stability, giving the car a much more controlled feel at speed. The car is now even better with the bushings and the front struts. I think the greatest improvement was in replacing the rear struts.

The last WRX I drove was an 02 in 03, so???

Taking it out for the family test today.

- The ride. I drove about 1 mile with the front and rear set on the middle setting. Nice firm controlled ride, but a bit more than I wanted for the ride home so I backed the front and back to full soft and drove about 30-40 miles on them on a variety of roads. I believe Koni states these struts are 20% firmer than OEM at full soft and that seems about right, maybe 25% firmer. (Keep in mind this is a good OEM strut, not mine at 42,000 miles that were severely worn. *These struts do not ride as soft and plush as OEM new struts, and to me this is not a bad thing.

Thanks NewScooby. This is helpful.

Hmmm....this would suggest to me that at full soft the Konis ride about like the HDs when paired with the Ions. I find the HDs to be about 20-25% firmer than the stock struts were when paired with the Ions...but that is just a guesstimate. I thought the Konis would offer a softer ride option than the HDs but perhaps not?

Sooner or later someone will try both setups and be able to offer a direct comparison.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

emlevins - Yes the Koni's on full soft are very comparible to the Bilstien HD's. The biggest advantage of the Konis is the fact that its more "sport" oriented; and when dialed up correctly they will rival coilovers for performance and not have the NVH issues associated with coilovers. Koni had developed their struts with our springs as the benchmark.

emlevins - Yes the Koni's on full soft are very comparible to the Bilstien HD's. The biggest advantage of the Konis is the fact that its more "sport" oriented; and when dialed up correctly they will rival coilovers for performance and not have the NVH issues associated with coilovers. Koni had developed their struts with our springs as the benchmark.

Can you tell me who at Koni told you they used your (Ion) springs as a benchmark?

I don't think it matters much whose springs you use with the koni's, the magic is in the damper, not the spring. Not that I don't like the iONs, I do.

Coil-overs only have NVH issues due to the selection of pillow-ball mounts. If they reuse stock tophats then there is no difference.

REM870 - If you'd like to know feel free to send us a PM. We were originally working with Koni Europe before providing info to Koni NA.

iON: Are you not able to post the details of the story here? It would be interesting for a lot of us, I suspect!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I thought it was the other way around where they were made for the stock springs because the ions were too much for the Koni's making the ride to harsh.

As far as I have been following this post....it's been the members from this board that have been working with Koni on finding the ideal set up with the Koni.

:redface:NEVERMIND THIS POST -thought the question was to me:redface:

Can you tell me who at Koni told you they used your (Ion) springs as a benchmark?

No one from Koni. Jack from Ion sent me a pm on 9-19-06 that stated as follows:

"The Koni's haven't been released yet. They used our springs as the "benchmark" of their sport setting on their new upcoming struts/shocks. No news on ETA or price from them yet."

....and this is consistent with his post (#390) last evening.

And Jack - thanks for confirming that the HDs are comparable to the Konis at full soft. You steered me in the right direction yet AGAIN because now I'm sure the Konis would not be any better for me than the HDs given that I don't want to be adjusting things and I do not track the car. And you suggested the HDs (since the Konis were not available then).

For the record - I have consulted Jack many, many times and he has been responsive and accurate each time. Thanks Jack

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

REM870 - If you'd like to know feel free to send us a PM. We were originally working with Koni Europe before providing info to Koni NA.

Glad to hear you were working with Koni. They make a top quality product.

I was able work with Koni NA when my car was used as the test mule. PGT also contributed by sending in a set of his struts and springs for development of the prototypes. I think they made two sets, one set went on my car and another to a car in St. Louis (this guy had some sort of Koni sponsorship). To my knowledge no testing or development was done on this model after my experience last year, so my question was an honest one.

Based on the work you have done with Koni Holland, have you made any modifications to your spring design? Or did they fit their shock to your spring? I have have wondered since reading NewScooby's thread and review if any changes were made as they moved to production. I need to contact Koni to ask.

IMHO Little Blue GT hit the nail on the head. This car has a damping problem, not a spring problem.

Cheers.

Ok ... so where do we go to order these things?! Anyone local in the US yet? heh. I have almost the same setup, with the ion springs and what not.

I ordered mine from WWW.SHOX.COM, the phone number is on their website, ask for Arthur as he did a good job taking care of my order. They have free shipping. I paid extra for air freight to get them sooner, but when they could not deliver as promised they refunded the shipping charges. Part numbers and prices below.

Fronts are 8610-1447 Sport for $159.60 each

Rear are 8010-1053 Sport for $147.00 each

disclaimer: I am not a vendor or in anyway associated with Koni or SHOX.com, I am just a happy customer.

IMHO Little Blue GT hit the nail on the head. This car has a damping problem, not a spring problem.

Thanks for the kind words, but the car has both problems, springs and dampers.

Both need to be changed for good results.:)

I ordered mine from WWW.SHOX.COM, the phone number is on their website, ask for Arthur as he did a good job taking care of my order.

+1 for shox.com and Arthur. I dealt with him as well and he was excellent.

07 BMW 335xi

Archived