LegacyGT.com

First prototype of 2-gauge cubby pod-with closing door

CasopoliS

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all....

I will have a base price for a cubby with two holes, one hole, and no hole. It actually costs more to make no holes because it takes a while to print that plastic. A robotic arm esentially 'paints' plastic in layers and makes these parts. I will also have a base rate for custom designed pods, but it might be more cost effective to purhase one without a hole, and modify it yourself. the ABS is easy to cut / modify.

I can also add holes for switches, amp gain control knobs, you name it. I will probably do this with mine. I have to figure out protocall for making multiple units which will determine price and availability.

More detailed pictures:

Gauges sit snug against the top of the cubby...

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6870/dscn16569eb.jpg

Fitment with the door hinge. It sits snug against the inside wall... with a little gap on each side of the hinge. I might make this gap smaller, but making sure it does not rub.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9093/dscn16586yy.jpg

The surfaces line up exactly... the floor then slopes lower to accomodate the gauge bezels.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/479/dscn16610wg.jpg

Very nice. I made my own cubby mount but I like how you made it cover the little holes that the mat slides into under the hinges as well.

I thought about re-doing mine to cover those better but if the price is right I may just pick one of yours up.

Very nice. I made my own cubby mount but I like how you made it cover the little holes that the mat slides into under the hinges as well.

I thought about re-doing mine to cover those better but if the price is right I may just pick one of yours up.

It does not cover the little holes, it comletely eliminates the piece that those holes are in. It replaces it. In the fist pictures you can see the bottom of the cubby and my piece next to each other. My piece does not rest on top or anything like that. Hope that makes sense.

I think once I am able to angle the gauges, this piece will be even more popular, even to people that already have made a dual gauge pod already.

I might be able to design something that eliminates the door completely, allowing larger gauges. These would definatly be angled. That is futher down the road.....

Very nice part, the weave on the SLA looks cool when its tucked in to the console. Could always do a light bondo/paint job if someone wanted a smooth finish. Is that solid or with the honeycomb inside?

I think we need a forum for the mech. engineers involved with R&D and rapid prototyping. People have lots of ideas and no way to bring them to reality... and it would only benefit the LGT community. I have a little time here and there on the NC mills for gov't jobs. ;)

-Rick

The part is completely solid for strength. This means it can be sanded and painted without bondo.... at least I believe this to be true. I have not done it myself.

We have a full design department and machine shop where I work. But this is not intended for personal use, so I cannot use them to design things.... I do it all on my own after work. I can get stuff machined and printed though once it is designed.

I am probably getting a custom shift knob machined... something simple yet heavy. I could also 3-D print a lightweight knob... but I like something heavy. The printer is so precise it can print threads.

Could I recommend that you have these made in blanks and the end user cut their own holes. Just in case they would like to use this panel to house diffrent things, like an XM/Sirius commander or smaller 45mm gauges, or infometer, etc...

Click

Here everyday:redface:

Thanks for all the nice comments. As stated before, these will be available as blanks, 1 gauge, and 2 gauge models. Due to how they are fabricated, they will cost the same, even though a blank takes more material.

I got Megan Racing gauges on Ebay for $18 a piece and shipping was reasonable. Color almost matches stock gagues too, but I still need to hook mine up.

After I get done with this design, I will focus on desinging something that eliminates the door and is larger.... for 60mm gauges, LCDs, etc. Can be ordered for 1 or 2 gauges.... and I would also sell blanks and let people modify to fit their LCD, Informeter, TT, switches, EBC, etc etc. Options are endless.

Archived