LegacyGT.com

First prototype of 2-gauge cubby pod-with closing door

CasopoliS

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/TRS60586/Misc%20Legacy/th_applause.jpg

Well done!!

What would be the max height from the top of the rear mounting tab to the bottom/back of the door? I'd like to mount a Nuvi nav unit inside (3.87" W x 2.91" H x 0.87" D). Would there be enough clearance to retain a functional lid?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.angelfire.com/musicals/bulletgirl15/wrongshoejunior/applause.jpg

Well done!!

What would be the max height from the top of the rear mounting tab to the bottom/back of the door? I'd like to mount a Nuvi nav unit inside (3.87" W x 2.91" H x 0.87" D). Would there be enough clearance to retain a functional lid?

no... 2.91" high is too high to retain door functionality.

I will talk to some people next week and try to give you guys more answers. Like I said.... I just need to make a few changes but once I do I am sure it will still fit (just better) and we will be ready to go. These take a couple of hours to print a piece, so some weekend I will have to hang around the office and just keep taking out parts and submitting the next part to be printed.....

Of course I need to figure out those details next week. I am not in charge of the printer, I need to get costs on my end, and availability.

Happy mother's day :lol:

:wub: I am in love.

Let's start a list...

I will start another thread once the time comes. Lets not jump the gun yet until I get production details.

After looking at it more... an angle is possible, but only if the gauges are slightly offset to the left. That will leave side on the right for the depth of the right gauge. It should not look too bad though.

Ok I want to hook up the gauges to see them lit. I went to the site below for ignition wire codes:

http://www.directwholesale.net/diagrams/printpage.asp?ModelID=19559&MakeID=39

Here is the thing... the instructions absolutely suck....

From what I can read (for oil pressure):

Black = ground

Red = ignition 12VDC

Green = sending unit

Orange = illum. ???? it looks like the wire goes to a little light bulb logo on the diagram. Does this make sense...???

So I am going to get my ground source from the light in the cubby. Ignition I will tap into the green or blur wire on the ignition wire harness. Should I just hook the orange wire (illum. I think) into the parking brakes wire (orange at harness) ???? What are your thoughts on this? Are there easier wires to get to? Should I hook the illum. wire into the light in the cubby?

Since they are EL gauges... I think I always want them lit though. I guess this would mean I want the illum. wire to get 12v when the car is running (i.e. ignition wire right?).

ANY help regarding tapping into these wires would be appreciated. I promise to post pics with the cubby both opened and closed.

Ahh I found this thread about the same gauges... looks like I was right. So if I need to be behind the radio anyway, it looks like I should just tap into all the wires there.... and I have the radio harness diagram. Looks like I am set... now I just need to find a thread on how to rip out the radio. Looks easy though... but I should read instructions just in case!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30343

Looks great!

Damn, if one of my gauges weren't so troublesome and need a deeper mounting depth, then I'd definitely have gone with your awesome piece here! Good job!!! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Looks great!

Damn, if one of my gauges weren't so troublesome and need a deeper mounting depth, then I'd definitely have gone with your awesome piece here! Good job!!! :D

I don't think depth is an issue due to the fact the cubby has no back now.... you can go as deep as you need.

As far as the Sirius goes, you can get a blank and make a nice cut-out for the sirius using a dremel. Or you can pay for a custom pod if you have dimensions or can get dimensions. I am talking with the CAD department today.

Damn Jon, GREAT job, it looks awesome!!!

I can't wait to see them in person. I have plenty of the vinyl "pleather" that I used on my gauge install, if you want to cover your piece with it...

I would love to help develop the 60 mm one with you if you wanted to take that project on... I have told you this, but when removing the door, the trip computer is much more difficult to see because the sun shines right on it. So a little lip would be nice to shade that (it would only have to stick out about 7-8mm).

We can look at my setup now and determine if there is any room to angle them (I doubt it).

Damn Jon, GREAT job, it looks awesome!!!

I can't wait to see them in person. I have plenty of the vinyl "pleather" that I used on my gauge install, if you want to cover your piece with it...

I would love to help develop the 60 mm one with you if you wanted to take that project on... I have told you this, but when removing the door, the trip computer is much more difficult to see because the sun shines right on it. So a little lip would be nice to shade that (it would only have to stick out about 7-8mm).

We can look at my setup now and determine if there is any room to angle them (I doubt it).

Thanks man. I will have to look over your setup to get ideas and maybe some dimensions. If I can angle two and still close the door, I cannot imagine NOT being able to angle the 60mm guages. Maybe they are larger than I am imagining. After a quick glance, I will put tabs in that will bolt to the stock cubby bolt locations. Should not be hard.

GB for the first design should start soon, maybe within a week. I still need to design and test:

angled gauge design

then....

2 45mm gauges (straight and angled)

1 52mm gauge (L, R, or C justified)

1 45mm gauge (L, R, or C justified)

That way I can offer many options to your guys, without compromising delivery times. I just have to tell the printer which one to build. Pricing will be the same, no matter what configuration you want.

For now, thanks for looking. More to come.... trust me.

Now I just need to rope trabbic into helping me take the radio out so I can get my guages lit. :)

No problem, I can't do it tonight, but tomorrow will work... I used the lighting right at the trip computer...

does this source dim with the rest of the gauges? That sounds easier than taking out the radio. In other threads I found, it seemed the only dimming source was at the radio harness....

^ Brother mccorry mentioned this AM that the purple-wire tap won't necessarily work with all gauges:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=595634#post595634 - post number 9.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I hooked up the gauges tonight... just the power to see the lighting. My camera sucks... sorry. Wait... maybe I just suck.

They are ultra generic, but match quite well.

http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/6910/dscn1665medium6nc.jpg

Better focus for a gauge-to-gauge comparison.....

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2599/dscn1668medium9dm.jpg

Close up...

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2157/dscn1671medium4pz.jpg

No light shines through... probably because of the smoked lens on the gauges. They are not that bright at all, I am very happy.

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9477/dscn1672medium4fi.jpg

Install details....

I got the ground from the LED in the cubby. I pulled out the litte LED circuit board and found the ground on it. I soldered right to the board and passed the wire through one of the small holes on the top of the brown connector.

I used crimp connections for the power and illumination. These are the only two you have to disconnect now while removing the cubby.

ACC power is a green wire on harness to the trip computer. If there are 2 green wires (I forgot to look), then check with a multimeter.

ILLUM is the purple wire in the same harness. It is on one of the ends.

GAUGES ON EBAY

Mine did not match the gauge on the auction, or the gauge on the Megan Racing website.... but it is close. Just the turbo logo and coloring is slightly different.

They are the right illumination without any resistance modifications.... the color match is unreal. They dim SLIGHTLY when I turn the headlights on... but as usual, they do not dim variably with everything else. For the price you cannot beat it.

Archived