LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when my friend changed my cv boot he had my other friend jump into the car when it was on the rack and drive it about 30 mph... while under the car he took a screw driver and placed metal side to the hub while he but the plastic side of the screw driver to his ear and listened.

Just wanted to thank you guys for this thread. Looking at buying an 05 5eat LGT Wagon, test drove it today and it sounded like an airplane wanted to take off starting at 30km/h and getting louder. Sounded like it was coming from the back, looks like it's almost certainly wheel bearings. Otherwise the car looked good, hopefully will get the issue worked out and I'll be a subie owner again (previously had an 02' WRX Wagon).

• 1 year later...

Back from the dead!!

I have a humming/grinding sound coming from the rear passenger and think its the wheel bearing. Problem is I bought the car used... and now have 75k on the car. Are TSB's covered no matter what... or does your warranty still need to be in tact? Thanx.

^ this, and does any one know why the fronts are not covered? I have a front thats going bad and a free fix is the best kind IMO.

What makes you think fronts aren't covered? RacingFish had his passenger front replaced for free.

it will be covered if your car is 2nd hand

and i had 18" rims on when i got mine covered but its at your dealers discretion

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

What makes you think fronts aren't covered? RacingFish had his passenger front replaced for free.

Because the warranty extension expressly states that it's for rear wheel bearings?

Back from the dead!!

I have a humming/grinding sound coming from the rear passenger and think its the wheel bearing. Problem is I bought the car used... and now have 75k on the car. Are TSB's covered no matter what... or does your warranty still need to be in tact? Thanx.

I believe this warranty, like the original powertrain warranty, is transferable and is good for 8yrs/100,000 miles from original purchase.

Because the warranty extension expressly states that it's for rear wheel bearings?

I believe this warranty, like the original powertrain warranty, is transferable and is good for 8yrs/100,000 miles from original purchase.

I suppose YMMV but RacingFish had his front replaced and gfxdave99 had his replaced...seems like a pretty strong precedent.

My car is covered by 5 year/60,000 mile...as far as I knew. (2006)

I had my 2005 rear wheel bearing replaced at no charge last fall when the mileage was 85K. I believe these are covered under the powertrain warranty which is 5 years/60K miles. Maybe this coverage was extended to 90K?

YMMV, talk to the dealer let them know that you believe that this should be covered by Subaru, if they don't want to help go to another dealer.

I had my 2005 rear wheel bearing replaced at no charge last fall when the mileage was 85K. I believe these are covered under the powertrain warranty which is 5 years/60K miles. Maybe this coverage was extended to 90K?

YMMV, talk to the dealer let them know that you believe that this should be covered by Subaru, if they don't want to help go to another dealer.

Um, no it was extended to 8 years and 100K miles. ;)

I found a link to the ACTUAL TSB from Subaru. Turns out I'd linked it on the first page of another thread.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/24/921208/03-58-08%20-%20Subaru%20Rear%20Wheel%20Bearing%20TSB.pdf

So everyone now has a copy.

I suppose that the dealership may decide to do front wheel bearings, but the extended warranty is for rears only.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine just started humming last week. At first was hard to notice over the sound of my aftermarket exhaust, but is slowly getting louder. Luckily I am at 92,000 miles. Looks like I will be seeing the dealer soon with a copy of this TSB in my hand.

I am glad I found this thread because I am hearing the same loud hum at pretty much all speeds now. It is the loudest at 47-50 mph. Although my car is an 07 I am thinking with my miles it might just be normal wear as I got the car with 51500 miles and it now has about 64000 miles. I really thought the noise is my tires since the reviews say they can be loud but I am getting my car in immediately to be checked out.

There was a comment a few pages back where someone had mentioned the service tech telling them that the wheel bearing grease used in them was the issue with the defective wheel bearings, and they are now using a different grease inside. Has anyone else heard this story from a tech? or been able to confirm it elsewhere?

I had my car checked last night and the service tech told me my right rear wheel bearing is making allot of noise and also the left rear is making some noise as well. So lucky me I get to shell out a couple hundred bucks to fix this! Oh well more learning experience under my belt.

^ So its not being covered under the TSB? I thought thats what the TSB was for? Or maybe Im just getting confused.

As far as I know the TSB is for the 05/06 model years. But it does seem kinda soon for my wheel bearings to be going, although I dont know what a normal lifespan for them is.

As far as I know the TSB is for the 05/06 model years. But it does seem kinda soon for my wheel bearings to be going, although I dont know what a normal lifespan for them is.

Most wheel bearings seem to last forever. Think of how many are out there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Most wheel bearings seem to last forever. Think of how many are out there.

Thats true there are a ton of them out there. I think I will question the dealership a little more and see why my bearings would fail this early from the factory. Who knows mybe the 07's are defective like the 05/06's are.

• 5 months later...
I got in my car this morning and on my way to work I could hear a hum and it was something that I never heard before. It sounded like I was driving on a grooved road (think a road that has been grooved prior to getting repaved) or one of those bridges with a metal honeycomb floor. It's not related to the RPM but speed of the vehicle. Sound like a bearing?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived