LegacyGT.com

Humming noise >40 mph = bad wheel bearing

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did that first, but couldn't find anything for the rear wheels.

Sorry... I guess I was having a bad day! Then again, it wasn't clear which one you were looking for.

I can't imagine there is much difference in the rear, other than having more space since there is no steering stuff to get in the way. For this reason, I expect the front wheel instructions should be good enough. Basically, the bearing is an assembly that goes into place... the rest is just getting into it that far.

• 3 months later...
Since the OP video is no longer active I can't compare with the noise I began to notice just a few weeks ago. I was thinking it was the winter tires because they are definitely noisy and it sounds like coarse-treaded tires on pavement. I put the all-seasons on Friday but am still hearing the noise. It isn't terribly noticeable and I can't even discern if it's in the front, rear, or under the middle of the car. The type of pavement doesn't seem to alter the noise and I don't perceive that acceleration or braking changes it other than sound frequency to speed ratio. From this description would you agree that wheel bearing is a likely culprit? I wish I was thinking, I could have tested for play when I had the car jacked to change the tires.

Jack up and support the entire car so that all of the wheels are off the ground. Have an assistant get in the car and start it, and then go though the gears until they get to about 4th gear and 40-50mph. At this time, all the wheels will be spinning. While this is happening, have the driver shift into neutral and then shut off the engine. The wheels will continue to spin with no transmission, engine, or road noise. You can find your culprit now by walking around the car and listening to each wheel. You might need to do it a couple times until you get around to the bad wheel(s), but you'll find it.

Mine has been noisey for the past couple of years. Was getting all prepared to do this myself when I came across the TSB on an online search. I have an 05LGT with 79k on it. I am covered if there is an issue. I'll find out Tuesday.

So, today for the first time I noticed a potential wheel bearing noise. It's subtle, but most notable above 40 mph and seems to be coming from the front. It's like a droning noise, so I'm thinking it's most likely wheel bearing related. I'm at just shy of 65k miles btw. How critical is it that I get that taken care of? Can I let it go for a bit without the wheel falling off on me?

So, today for the first time I noticed a potential wheel bearing noise. It's subtle, but most notable above 40 mph and seems to be coming from the front. It's like a droning noise, so I'm thinking it's most likely wheel bearing related. I'm at just shy of 65k miles btw. How critical is it that I get that taken care of? Can I let it go for a bit without the wheel falling off on me?

My question exactly. I'm supposed to put about 600 miles on the car before I get to my dealer appointment next Friday. I think my noise is more noticeable now than it was 3 or so weeks ago but not significantly so and it's still sounding like just tire noise. I didn't do the all wheels off the ground diagnosis but did jack each wheel independently and tried to move them. None were noticeably loose.

My nephew had a wheel bearing go on his 70's VW Bug and it welded the wheel to the axle. I can make other arrangements to get to work in PA if there's any risk I'll end up broken down anywhere on my trip this week.

I can only tell you that my left rear went bad, and the noise got progressively worse for a couple weeks, then leveled off. I took several 100 mile trips afterwards, and worried the whole time, but it never got louder. All together, I would say that I might have driven an additional 2000 miles after I first noticed it, and when I changed it, it was still the same noise as three weeks after I became aware of it. However, I do have pretty good ears and might have heard it early, and who knows if it would have seized in another 10 miles. So ymmv.

Well, I was right and I'm getting a wheel bearing assembly replaced. Sucks to have that expense just out of warranty - frankly, I think Subaru should warranty those for a longer period. 65k is a little early to be having to replace wheel bearings, imo.

Sitting at the dealership as I type. Service adviser just left. Both rear bearings need to be replaced. I'll save a little with the 10% off coupon they mailed me last week for >100,000 mile cars.

Let us know what the total damage came to. I did my driver side a couple weeks ago, and I wonder how much the dealer charges for the job.

Let us know what the total damage came to. I did my driver side a couple weeks ago, and I wonder how much the dealer charges for the job.

Total for both rears was $473.60. I would have done this myself but don't have a puller and having read the walk through thread I was concerned that if I ended up with problems it would be more hassle than it was worth. I had this done in upstate NY so the labor rate is less than some of the other places I might have had it done. It was a lot to spend for something that can be pretty straightforward but the labor was less than $200 and the discount coupon was a big help. I got to sit and catch up on computer stuff while the best mechanic in the shop worked on my car.

Total for both rears was $473.60. I would have done this myself but don't have a puller and having read the walk through thread I was concerned that if I ended up with problems it would be more hassle than it was worth. I had this done in upstate NY so the labor rate is less than some of the other places I might have had it done. It was a lot to spend for something that can be pretty straightforward but the labor was less than $200 and the discount coupon was a big help. I got to sit and catch up on computer stuff while the best mechanic in the shop worked on my car.

That's really not bad at all. I think the hub cost me about $100.00, and it took me a couple hours, so figuring $200.00 in cost for the parts for both sides, an extra $273.00 in labor is not too bad. Of course here in Maryland it might be a lot more.

• 9 months later...
Well, I was right and I'm getting a wheel bearing assembly replaced. Sucks to have that expense just out of warranty - frankly, I think Subaru should warranty those for a longer period. 65k is a little early to be having to replace wheel bearings, imo.

i thought they did do a little extended warranty on those..

Is this the noise u guys are taking about ? I went to the dealer to get my 60k maintenance and they had to fix leaking head gasket. So I told him about the noise I was hearing and after I picked up the cars days later he told me the mechanic didn't hear anything after. I hear it when I'm going up to 40mph and then start cruising. It's so ANNOYING!!

It's a pain getting to the dealership since I work 9-5 and public transportation takes forever to get there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEsJw-iijrU&sns]Subaru legacy 2008 rattling noise - YouTube[/ame]

Is this the noise u guys are taking about ? I went to the dealer to get my 60k maintenance and they had to fix leaking head gasket. So I told him about the noise I was hearing and after I picked up the cars days later he told me the mechanic didn't hear anything after. I hear it when I'm going up to 40mph and then start cruising.

I think I hear your rattling noise in the video and it's not like my bearings sounded when they were bad. The noise I heard was more like tire whine on the road. The dealer didn't hear mine until the 3rd time I took it in and mentioned that I thought I might have a bearing going.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

New member here. I have been having A LOT of trouble figuring out what is going on. Just a little background.... New subaru owner, bought a used 2005 subaru legacy GT about 3 months ago. Had a bad wheel bearing, got it fixed, no more loud noise. However, in the last month or so I have started hearing a pulsating whummmmm whummmmm whummmm noise but ONLY when i hit 40 mph. The noise is also a vibration that i can feel through the gas pedal and the floor. It pulsates and is not a constant noise like it was when i had a bad wheel bearing. Also, the noise goes away after i get up to about 60 (maybe the road nosie just drowns it out, i dont know.). Anyways, I have taken it to 2 mechanics and neither could figure out what the noise was because it only happens under load. One mechanic said it was probably my differential starting to fail. The other said it could be a lot of things and that i would just have to let it get worse. I can't wait.....its annoying and I dont want it to get worse and cause any more problems. The noise doesnt change when i turn, as long as i am going 40-60, the noise is there. the noise also increased with speed, or pulsates faster when i speed up, slower when i slow down. Any ideas???? I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

I have been having A LOT of trouble figuring out what is going on. I have taken it to 2 mechanics and neither could figure out what the noise was because it only happens under load. One mechanic said it was probably my differential starting to fail. The other said it could be a lot of things and that i would just have to let it get worse. I can't wait.....its annoying and I dont want it to get worse and cause any more problems.

I know the feeling of somebody else not hearing what you do. Last year before I took off my winter tires I heard "the noise" thinking maybe it was tire noise. It ended up being both my rear wheel bearings. From this I learned what to listen for with the bearings. Not long after, I began to hear a different noise in the left front when I went around a right corner and put pressure on the left. I had it in to the dealer for something else and mentioned this. They found nothing. Eventually it got to the point that it was a constant wheel bearing noise so I took it in again. This time they diagnosed a bad center drive shaft. As I drove away I still was hearing the wheel bearing noise. Finally it was bad enough for them to hear it a couple thousand miles later and it was replaced.

I don't write this to bad mouth the dealer as generally I've been very pleased with their service advisers and the quality of their work, but more to illustrate that sometimes you have to be persistent and keep gathering information yourself. Sorry I can't be more help with your pulsing noise but did want to encourage you to not give up. We generally are pretty well tuned in to how our cars sound and know when something isn't right.

• 2 months later...
Driver's front bearing failed. Became super stiff and started causing a "grinding stones" type of noise at low speeds when turning, vibration in the steering wheel as well. Anyone had this happen?

Driver's front bearing failed. Became super stiff and started causing a "grinding stones" type of noise at low speeds when turning, vibration in the steering wheel as well. Anyone had this happen?

I've had the car feel funny when taking a flyover on the on-ramp. Yes, front wheel bearings can do bad things. Kind of felt like only one wheel was steering.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived